PDA

View Full Version : Why is the front view called "back"?

Turner
09-07-2004, 11:44 AM
Going by this logic, the top view should be called "bottom" -

I'm sure I'm just missing something here..

thx
Andrew

ingo
09-07-2004, 12:59 PM
Why is Lightwave two programs ? You found one of Lightwaves weird things noone understands. Just think what happens when Netwek changes this to "normal" behaviour, i guess a lot of people will get problems. Just change your key mappings and ignore it.

Tom Wood
09-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Yeah, I asked this same question back when. On page 6.4 of the LW 7 manual it says it's because it works better with the motion features if things face the positive Z direction. But then things like text and logos default to face the opposite direction. :confused:

TW

New2Lw
09-09-2004, 09:38 AM
just hit the drop down to front and leave it like that forever if you like that better.

Turner
09-09-2004, 10:56 AM
I certainly like that better... unfortunately, surface normals don't!

A.

just hit the drop down to front and leave it like that forever if you like that better.

ursa
09-09-2004, 01:03 PM
here's what i think...
its because although the back view faces the camera, the camera is on the negative side of the z-axis.... if you asssume facing the camera = the front, then animate an object and try to use align to path, the object will align to the path facing the wrong direction.

in older versions of lightwave, people often asked why it worked this way.
so , i think newtek tried to solve this confusion by changing the face view to the back view. obviously this didn't work.

Thomas M.
09-09-2004, 01:14 PM
Ursa is right. If you model a car in the top view the front of the car will be in the z-+ area. If you want to look at the front of the the car you need to choose the front view. Voila!

Turner
09-09-2004, 01:42 PM
"If you model a car in the top view the front of the car will be in the z-+ area."

I'm pretty sure that depends on which way the car is facing in top view... ;)

Either way, it makes no sense.

Something coming "out" of the screen - "towards" me - well, that's the positive Z axis as far as I've generally heard, just as when you look "down" on something, you've got the positive Y axis poking you in the eye.

I understand the naming, like up there, when I said you're looking "down" - at the "top" = so there, we are looking "back" at the "front"....

Though were' not saying we're looking "bottom" at the "top", or that we're just looking "top".. or... um...

What was I saying?

robewil
09-09-2004, 04:11 PM
The answer is pretty simple, the name on the viewport refers to where "you" are.

The top view is from the top looking down or in the direction of -Y.
The back view is from behind looking forwards or in the direction of +Z.
The right view is from the right side looking left or in the direction of -X.

...and so on.

pvillotti
09-10-2004, 10:06 AM
An art teached once said to me..."Adapt or Become Extinct".

I think it applies in an instance like this.

:D

Turner
09-10-2004, 11:30 AM
Does that apply to the software or the user?

An art teached once said to me..."Adapt or Become Extinct".

I think it applies in an instance like this.

:D

09-10-2004, 01:25 PM
Most definitely the software. Users have alternatives after all. :D