PDA

View Full Version : how to improve and how much does it take?

duhastmich
09-06-2004, 02:18 PM
Hi, i am newbie to use lightwave, i am trying to be 3d artist but it is really hard to improve skills on it.I want to ask , how did you manage to be a user of Lightwave or any other 3d application program?Just books, school, video tutorials?And how much time did you spend to obtain improved skills on it.I need some suggestions from experienced users. :(

ACLOBO
09-06-2004, 05:37 PM
I personally have spent a LOT of time - talking years teaching myself software through books, video and online tutorials. The truth of the matter is that it depends on how much time you put into it and practice that will determine how good you will get. Schools are fine for a introduction, but they simply will not teach you everything either - you need to explore on your own.

3D artist is a vague term as well. There are people who excel at certain areas in 3d. Some are more oriented toward modeling (myself) while there are those that enjoy animating, texturing or lighting. If you can do all of these well, then great. I think the best approach is to try a little of everything, find what you are really good at and work on that.

To answer your question, I have been messing around with lightwave for like 10 years as a hobbiest and then as a freelance artist for some small companies and individuals here in Colorado. Truth is, I could be much improved in many areas - but seems that these days I am less energized to learn new things - I still try some new things now and then though. :-)

-Adrian

Designer
09-06-2004, 07:01 PM
It took me years. First few years messing around. Then a few more to get into it and understand the basic conept. Then a little more to learn LW.

Maybe I am just slow learner. Some are faster, some slower.

Silkrooster
09-06-2004, 07:51 PM
I first got the 3d bug when Bryce 2 became available. Tried a couple of programs for modeling which were difficult at the time so I lost interest for a while then I got a hold of Calgari's Truespace. I immediately fell in love with the program. The problem was that it was and is too bug ridden. Seams like anything you do the program crashes. While I was tinkering around with truespace I got involved with Poser. I started to see where I would like to go in the 3d world. At this point I was so frustrated with Truespace that I desided to get Lightwave. So I am self taught and still learning what is now available to me at my fingertips.
Silk

duhastmich
09-07-2004, 06:23 PM
hmm,
i liked that word "i fall in love with that program" .Sometimes i use that phrase but everyboosy surprises.The best way is just ignore them.I am also photoshop user, and next year i will apply a "photography and video" school in istanbul.they offer 5 scholarships for applicants, and there will be at least 400 candidates,so to improve my chance i have to use 3-d animation.And i will work 5 hours a day, somdays even more to learn the 3-d application program.Actually Maya is my first choice but in the end , lightwave is also the same thing. I am also interested in electronic music.Besides i am still studyin biology and have to attend all labs in university.this will be very hard for me, but i am ok face with all.(to be feeling tired, sleepy, hopeless...etc.).After all it will wotrh , i am sure.
My first concentration is, to model whatever i can imagine....It is possible to model anything u can imagine , so i need to imrpove my modelling skilss, as a photographer i know the lightings some, that will be easy and ver wnjoyable for me, i have also worked with cameras for some projects, i know some also.texturing and modelling is the case then, so first case is the modelling.
thats my point of view.

Triple G
09-10-2004, 12:42 AM
A little off-topic here, but duhastmich....any chance your name is from the Rammstein song, "Du Hast"? Just thought I'd ask... :)

EmperorPete
09-10-2004, 06:23 AM
That'd be my guess to, TripleG. Man, what a great band too.
Like others have said, I mainly taught myself how to use Lightwave, with the aid of tutorials; there are some excellent tutorial sites out there, Lightwave is very well supported in that respect. Also, the tuts on the Newtek site are excellent, and I've learned a lot by reading this board and asking questions.

duhastmich
10-03-2004, 05:06 AM
du , du hast , du hast mich , du hast mich gefragen.....

yeah the song from rammstein....

sorry for not replying such along time.
Guys!what about trying to imrove skilss for both maya and lightwave, just for modelling, because i am better in maya but improving skills in lightwave helps me to learn maya too...
I just want to be master of 3d animation and i ll work hard to do it....
any suggestion will be appropriated.

Capel
10-03-2004, 07:01 PM
the techniques are a lot the same, no matter what software you're using. Couldn't hurt to learn a few packages, but from what i've heard, studios don't really care.

Triple G
10-03-2004, 08:21 PM
Couldn't hurt to learn a few packages, but from what i've heard, studios don't really care.

While I agree that it's definitely good to be skilled in more than one 3d software, the notion that studios don't really care what package you know is definitely not an "across-the-board" rule of thumb.

It all depends on what you want to get into...if you want to get into character animation, Maya is dominant. For film or broadcast work, Maya or Lightwave are good choices. For games, 3DS Max has traditionally been dominant, but other software packages are becoming more and more prevalent. It's true that some companies will be willing to train you on the package they use, given you show sufficient skill in a similar software....but many times if it comes down to hiring two equally skilled artists and one knows the company's software of choice and the other does not, who do you think they're going to go with?

In all honesty, if I were to do it all over again and if I had to start learning one software package from the ground up, I'd choose Maya. I know this is a Lightwave board (sorry, Newtek)...but if you look around at pretty much any job board on the net, you'll quickly come to realize that when employers request knowledge of a specific software package, the vast majority of times that package is Maya. This is not to say that there aren't Lightwave jobs out there...(I'm actually using both LW and Maya at my current job), they're just not as widespread.

It's generally true that knowledge that you gain using one package can pretty easily be transferred to another, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. If you're looking to become employed professionally, take a look around at some studios you'd like to work for and find out what software they're using. That way you know that the knowledge you obtain will be directly applicable to you getting a position there. If you're looking to become self-employed and plan on working freelance, then it's more a matter of what feels right for you and what allows you to complete your work quickly and efficiently while giving you quality results.

mattclary
10-04-2004, 10:31 AM
There is NO replacement for practice. You will learn more by doing than by reading or watching videos. That's not to say those things are a waste of time, but just use them to get started.