PDA

View Full Version : Television images blurred

sierra
04-03-2003, 11:00 AM
Using the dual-head, my images are cloned to the TV screen. This way I can check color and safe areas, etc. as I work. For a long time I just accepted that TV was going to be mushy compared to computer screen images.

Recently we ordered VT2 and to make room for eveything, I changed to a smaller, newer television to be connected to my computer. I was amazed to notice how clear the television broadcast programs actually are on the new TV (on my old TV, everything was blurred to some extent.) Now I wonder why the TV broadcasts are so clear but my cloned images are still quite a lot more blurry than the broadcast. Do I have antiquated connection somewhere. Does anyone know about this?

I don't have the VT yet so I have no idea if that will improve matters.

Thanks,

Sierra

sierra
04-03-2003, 12:37 PM
My husband just informed me that I omitted something important in this post. We are using a RCA connection. Would an S video connection improve the images?

evar
04-04-2003, 08:46 AM
Not sure why you chose the Aura forum - :) - but oh well. Dualhead Clone - sounds like a Matrox card? Im no tekkie in this respect, not exactly sure what matrox is doing to change the vga signal to tv - but, I have and have had a few Matrox card, and this blurryness is normal. If its not a matrox card, well - matrox has been hallowed as the best dual head images out there... so youd just be down hill. Id wait till you have your toaster, and can preview on the tv out from the VT itself, youll see a difference Im sure.

If it is a matrox card, Im sure you can test this. Compare footage via Clone - and then play the video file with media player (or some such) - and use DVD Max option, youll notice the video is much clearer.

-Evar

sierra
04-04-2003, 10:01 AM
Thanks evar. I do use a Matrox but I never even thought it might it because everyone says Matrox is the best. So we thought it might be the connection.

I chose the Aura forum because I hope others who get their Aura work on video will know much more than me about how to do it.

Thanks for the tip about DVDMax. My understanding about all these formats is very weak still. I do notice that anything I save as an .avi is far too mushy and blurry to even use. So I have taken to saving my stuff as single file TGA 32, also to preserve the alpha channel. When I take it into Premiere it looks great but when I "print to video" it looks really bad on my TV.

What forum would you ask these questions on?

Thanks for your help.

Sierra

evar
04-04-2003, 11:58 AM
Yes, Matrox IS really good at the Dual Head functions - Ive seen a few of the ATI and Nvidia implementations of mulitple monitor, and they arent as clear. But their intent wasnt to have the signal recorded or viewd as a professional output.

Im curious as to why your avi files would be blurry.... What Codec are you using ? (DV, Cinepak, Indeo etc....) - and at what quality etc...

Evar -

sierra
04-04-2003, 05:07 PM
I was using Indeo last after using Cinepak for a long time, all at highest quality. I'll be glad when I get VT2 so I don't have to take things into Premiere anymore. I like the idea of not having to compress anything at all. I want to make things for cd for some customers and for video for others. So I'm still finding my way through all this.

Danner
04-04-2003, 11:59 PM
RCA connectors deliver a lousy image compared to SVHS connectors, but that also depends on the output card, if it's outputting a blured image no matter which cable you use it will look bad. Sometimes the blurring on VGA-tv-out cards is done on purpose to diminish the flicker that the thin lines and hard edges of computer images would produce on a TV monitor.
By the way.. the Toaster rocks!

SBowie
04-05-2003, 05:56 AM
Originally posted by Danner

Sometimes the blurring on VGA-tv-out cards is done on purpose to diminish the flicker that the thin lines and hard edges of computer images would produce on a TV monitor. Good point. My S-video/out from the NVidia card can be adjusted in the Advanced Settings to increase or decrease the amount of smoothing applied to minimize flicker.

sierra
04-05-2003, 09:22 AM
Thanks Danner. We will change our connector. My husband had a suspicion about it which you have confirmed.

Our new computer with the VT will have the NVidia card. Then I'll have one stand-alone Aura with Matrox and VT with NVidia. It will be interesting to see what all this boils down to in my work. I appreciate your information.

Sierra

sierra
04-14-2003, 10:38 AM
We replaced our VCR (it did not have a s-video port) and now our television image is much better. Thanks so much for the tip.

We got a JVC model HR-S3911U. It has the s-video connection and stereo audio connections. But we wonder if there's another brand or another model we should have checked into before it's too late to take it back if we made a mistake. Or other features we should know about that other VCR's might have? If anyone knows.

The JVC we got can record VHS and Super-VHS, which is a format not everyone has. So when we create a master for a client or publication, should we make it VHS and skip the Super-VHS? Or do TV stations prefer the Super-VHS?

Thanks again,

Sierra

paulfierlinger
04-14-2003, 11:33 AM
Sierra,

The way I work is that I send VCR tapes to clients only for the purposes of their previewing. Some here might say that VCR tapes are passť, but my experience is that they are still very much preferred, because clients sometimes like to take them home to look at, or take to a school or their client's offices for a focus group meeting etc.

For purposes of delivery, I deliver on CD disks or beta-SP videotape, depending on the length of the job and the client -- sometimes just over my FTP site. I recommend that you wait with that decision until you have a TV client with a contract, which will state the format of delivery required by them. I donít know how to say this more delicately than to say that that moment is most likely still far down the road and technology changes rapidly.

Paul F.

sierra
04-14-2003, 07:38 PM
Thanks once again Paul for answering me.

I thought you were very delicate. I have no illusions that this will all happen fast. (I'm looking at a 1 to 2 year time line just to get my stuff ready.) It's just that we thought since we were buying a new VCR, someone may know something more about it than us.

I thought beta was an outmoded form of video. Or is beta-SP something professionals use? Only my shortest poems will fit on a cd so I was thinking of using video tape. DVD burners are still quite expensive.

You're right of course--if I should get any bites from TV stations, I will need to invest in whatever it takes to meet their requirements at the time.

Now I am putting stuff on video for presentation and changing to the S-Video connection has gone a long way toward making my stuff look better for that.

We are out of range to get DSL here but we are on the list to get something called Wireless internet connection. It should be available in about a month. It will be amazing to have a fast connection. With dial up I seldom take advantage of looking at things on the web just because it all takes too much time.

But things like your stuff are really helpful to view for anyone (not just beginneers) and I will be able to do a lot more of that soon.

I just got the Video Toaster today, and our computer person is putting it together. Many learning curves ahead, I'm sure.

As always you are extremely helpful. My thanks. Sierra

paulfierlinger
04-14-2003, 07:47 PM
You are welcome, Sierra. I wouldn't worry about the VCR/ s-VHS player -- all you need for your purposes is what you now have. That's the advantage of being animators --
Paul F.

Danner
04-15-2003, 12:34 AM
"Beta SP" or Betacam SP is nothing like the old abandoned home system called Betamax (altho the 20-30mintapes look alot like the old betamax)
Betacam SP is still after all this years the standard in professional videotape format, many other professional formats have emerged, including a Digital Betacam, but still most TV stations, Post houses, you name it, have at least one Betacam deck, the quality is very good and there are tons of stock footage you can use that has been stored or shot in that format.
S-VHS has not been regarded as a professional format, the term some use is "Postsumer" wich is kinda in between a home and a pro system. You can deliver S-VHS to a station or post house IF they still have a deck, but most will prefer a Betacam tape. Beta decks are quite expensive tho.

sierra
04-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Danner, for clarifying what Beta SP is. That is an important piece of information to add to my growing picture of this industry. Sierra