PDA

View Full Version : help please! LW 7.5 crashes when rendering

Rogelio
09-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Hi

I'm rendering a 5 second animation which has a model with a glass texture and a plane with a procedural texture, I have an area light that moves around, and antialiasing set to medium.
When I hit render it'll render a few frames and then LW reboots my machine with no error messages.

Help please this animation is due tuesday!

thanks

Panikos
09-05-2004, 05:20 PM
If you are using Caustics or Refraction, hmmm maybe

I had some crashes sometime with caustics in busy scenes, where many lights were creating caustics.
:confused:

riki
09-05-2004, 06:08 PM
Is it just the one Scene that crashes? Try testing some others. If it's just the one Scene, try isolating the problem, removing elements and turning features off one at a time until you find what causing the problem.

hunter
09-05-2004, 06:16 PM
are you using the surface thickness gradient by chance?

Rogelio
09-06-2004, 04:30 AM
Yes I have caustics and reflections but not refractions on, I only have one light in the scene.

I tested another scene which also has reflections and no caustics, it reboots the machine too.

I have yet another scene which I rendered recently without any problems but has no ray trace options enabled. I started to render this one and it rebooted the machine after 15 frames, so I think its not the caustics nor the ray trace options.

I'm not that familiar with lw yet so I don't know what a surface thickness gradient is, I do have a layer type gradient.

I've tried to render in lw8 and the same thing happens.

Do you have any other ideas of what it might be?

Lightwolf
09-06-2004, 04:55 AM
Hi Rogelio,

o.k., this is a longshot but...

It seems that your machine crashes if the CPU is extremely busy. Since it draws more power when rendering, it could be that your motherboard or PSU aren't up to it.
What CPU do you have, and how many Watts does your PSU have?

Cheers,
Mike

Rogelio
09-07-2004, 02:13 AM
Hello Lightwolf

My cpu is an amd 1ghz, 512 ram, geforce 3, and my psu I think is above or equal to 350w.

But I've been able to render with no problems in the past, now I can't render anything. Is it possible that a "heavy" render can damage lightwave so that it can't render anymore?

I'll guess I'll try too reintall it, but I doubt that'll fix it.

Lightwolf
09-07-2004, 02:22 AM
Hi Rogelio,
as I said, it was a longshot (->guess) ;)

I just never had LW crash my machine so badly that it rebooted. If I have a machine that crashes like that, it is usually something else (flaky PSU, RAM gone bad, whatever).
Actually, try to check your RAM, to see if it is still o.k. (http://www.memtest86.com) Download this: http://www.memtest86.com/memt31a.zip and let it copy itself to an empty floppy and boot from that. It might take a while to run, but will thoroughly heck your RAM.

Other than that, if you can try a different machine to render, it might help you narrow down the problem.

Cheers,
Mike

Rogelio
09-07-2004, 04:20 AM
...I just never had LW crash my machine so badly that it rebooted...

A friend which is in the same class that I'm in, when he tried to render his computer shutdown, he formated his hd and move some cables, but I think thats going a little extreme.

Thankfuly another friend rendered the scene for me, but I'll need to contuniue to render scenes, so I hope I can fix this soon.

Thank you all for your help! :)

Rogelio
09-10-2004, 03:51 AM
Something is definitely wrong with my computer. I tried memtes86, it shows no errors but it freezes my machine.

Any ideas of how should I narrow it down?