PDA

View Full Version : LWSN Hanging up upon loading of plugin

tnyplz
09-05-2004, 04:33 AM
I have been having some problems rendering over LWSN. I did a test render, and everything seemed to be working fine, so I do know that it is possible to have a good render with my network, but the first problem I had was with an AVI file that I used as a texture on one of the object. for some reason it kept looking for it on the local drive instead of the networked one. I copied the AVi file over to the local drive, and got rid of that problem.

However I still get a hang up. LWSN seem to freez when loading a plugin. Does anyone know if it compatible with UVEdit Pro. I did use it on one of my models. Other than that I can't think of any plugins wich might cause it to hang up. It was interesting though that using a D-Storm plugin allowed the process to go a little further before it froze. It was able to load the plugin, but then froze when it was preparing it. Does anyone know how I could find out what the plugin is that is causing the problem.

I have a big project to render, and it would help out a lot if I could render it over my network.

I really appreciate all the help guys.

Thanks,
Tony

Matt
09-05-2004, 05:48 AM
Using movies as texture maps ain't the best way of doing it. Rather; save out the frames of the movie and load them into LW as an image sequence.

tnyplz
09-08-2004, 04:21 AM
Thanks Matt,

I loaded the texture as an image sequence, which fixed the problem of it loading on another computer through screamernet. However, it still freezes when loading the second object of my two object scene. And I don't know why?

Tony Pelaez

kevman3d
09-10-2004, 02:08 AM
...but the first problem I had was with an AVI file that I used as a texture on one of the object. for some reason it kept looking for it on the local drive instead of the networked one. I copied the AVi file over to the local drive, and got rid of that problem.

That's cause it was probably linked as an External file in the object (ie. the object was referencing the drive path) - From what I've seen, Content Manager doesn't always fix these kinds of problems - Make sure you always have your textures in your content directory somewhere (and obviously the content directory is set up in LW before you load them into the project)

We've used AVI files before in LWSN with no problems... I've also had this issue of bad linked files for images in the past, so its not a file-type specific issue from what I can tell.

However I still get a hang up. LWSN seem to freez when loading a plugin.

Could be anything - Most times I've seen scenes lock up they have FSPE active, or that nasty Spreadsheet bug.

Try opening the scene in a text editor and search for FullSceneParamEval - If it exists, delete it. Also, check the start of the scene and make sure there aren't like hundreds of plugins at the start of the file... Usually Spreadsheet is a big culprit...

I have a plugin I wrote that does some basic 'cleanup' in case you're interested:
http://www.kevman3d.com/lightwave.asp?section=plugins&sub=layout

Its called 'Lean Clean Scene Machine'. I'm looking at upgrading it at the moment, but its a handy tool and saved my bacon at the studio more then once! :D

Good luck!

tnyplz
09-17-2004, 02:04 AM
Kevman http://vbulletin.newtek.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=211512#
Smilie

Your plugin is just what I needed! I don't know what I would have done without it!

I am forever in debt to you for that one.

Thanks for helping a fellow LWer out

Tony

kevman3d
09-17-2004, 04:46 AM
Your plugin is just what I needed! I don't know what I would have done without it!

That's great to hear! I'm glad its come in useful again for someone else... BTW, that tool is currently in a state of 'overhaul' at the moment - I've got a tonne of new features I'm busy coding into it (and adding stuff for L8 scene files too) that's meant its been in need of a rewrite...

But the updates will be worth the extra recoding exercise I'm sure! :)

Kev.

agv
11-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Thanks Kevin for your clean up plug-in! I was having a tough time loading up some scenes in layout; the loading times kept getting longer and longer with a lengthy list of plug-ins that I didn't even remember applying. Then the computer would hang and I'd have to reboot.

I used your plug-in to clean the scene files and now they load perfectly. Thanks for making this available; you saved the day!

-Alex

kevman3d
12-01-2004, 01:48 AM
There's an updated, better version available (includes scene checking, content checking, Works with L7/L8 scenes and has some 'internal scene repair' features as well) - Oh, and I wrote a PDF manual for it... :D

Its exclusive here at Newtek Europe:
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/community/lightwave/phillips/3.html

Enjoy!

Kev.