PDA

View Full Version : Paricles from object with image

sidewing
09-04-2004, 04:55 PM
Difficult question...

I have a water plane (with displacement map) and a yacht traveling on it.
I want to make the water surface as an particle emitter only there where the suds and wakes would be.

I put a image in the particle generator. When I scrub though, something happens but when I use the calculate button nothing happens.

Also: Whatever I do, I can't seem an alpha image to work. I get particles everywhere.
Any suggestions?

John

Silkrooster
09-04-2004, 10:46 PM
Check and see how the particles are generated for example by frame, sec, speed, wind, collision event or wind speed. Having this set on the wrong one will stop it from working unless you have motion, wind, a keyframe, or collision. Check the motion tab, by changing the value for the volocity can generate particles. Also see what the nozzle setting is that could cause problems as well if not set correctly.
As far as alpha goes check in the image editor and see if the alpha channel is enabled.Something else you could try is to use another image format like tga I read somewheres that some formats may cause problems with the alpha channel. From what I have read it sounds like the tga format is the way to go for alphas.
Something you could try, not sure if it would work but is an idea. What if you placed the emiter on the bow of the boat, then you could move the boat generating the particles, which would be sliced by the boat or put an emiter on both sides of the boat at the bow give one a positive value and the other a negitive value so they move away from the boat. Oh well just some ideas I thought I would through at you. Good luck
Silk

hunter
09-05-2004, 02:16 PM
I've found you have to set your blending mode to alpha to get a birthrate by image to work. Hope this helps Let us know. :o

sidewing
09-06-2004, 11:52 AM
Thank you so much for taking the time to figure this out.

Indeed, it works now.
I also noticed that I had to put the world coordinates on (I copied/pasted from image in texture editor).

One big problem remains: As soon as I hit the "save scene" button, all the particles that have been "calculated" disappear. Very strange...

Thanks again,

John