PDA

View Full Version : jpg import problems

mwh710
09-04-2004, 04:13 PM
I have a lab full (32) of 600mHz iMacs on LW 8.0 OS 10.3.5 & none of them will import a jpg image. I have checked to see if plug-in is loaded and reimported the jpg plug-ins just to be sure, but they still will not bring one up into the surface editor. Targas come in fine. I have upgraded 3 to 8.0.1 Lightwave, but same problem. I do not have this problem on my (teachers) G4 1.4GHz or my home DP450MHz machine. Any ideas? It would be a pain to open all images in Photoshop and resave them as Targas just to map them.

bloontz
09-04-2004, 04:57 PM
Maybe lightwave uses quicktime to import jpg images? Not sure but may be worth looking into.

Kuzey
09-04-2004, 07:05 PM
I have a lab full (32) of 600mHz iMacs on LW 8.0 OS 10.3.5 & none of them will import a jpg image. I have checked to see if plug-in is loaded and reimported the jpg plug-ins just to be sure, but they still will not bring one up into the surface editor. Targas come in fine. I have upgraded 3 to 8.0.1 Lightwave, but same problem. I do not have this problem on my (teachers) G4 1.4GHz or my home DP450MHz machine. Any ideas? It would be a pain to open all images in Photoshop and resave them as Targas just to map them.

Move the "JPEG.p" plugin from the "Input-Output" folder to the desktop. Restart modeler or layout and try to import the image again.

If it works then delete the plugin.

Kuzey

mwh710
09-08-2004, 09:11 PM
Thanks, I deleted the JPEG plugin, but couldn't import them. When I put it back in, it now crashes the program. I tried on 8 of my 32 iMacs all with the same result. My teacher tower G4 & home G4 import just fine - stumped.

Kuzey
09-08-2004, 10:03 PM
Did you manage to import any jpg's after you moved the plugin, before deleting it?

Scanning the plugins again could help. Also, do the iMac's have the same version of Quicktime as the "teacher tower G4 & home G4" computers?

One last resort would be to change the extension on one image from "name.jpg" to "name.jpeg" and see if that imports.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

mwh710
09-18-2004, 11:08 AM
None of the iMacs will import any .jpg file, they crash the program, BUT if I change the extension to .jpeg, they will load and map just fine. Hmmmm..... What a pain!

Whit
09-18-2004, 06:25 PM
I don't have any insight into why those computers need files that end in .jpeg. I have a script that might help if you have lots of files to change. I had an AppleScript to change file names. I modified it to do what I think you want.

Drop a file, a group of files, or a folder on makeDotJpeg_Droplet. Files whose name ends in ".jpg" will have their name changed to end in ".jpeg".

The new name will be the old name up to the first "." and ".jpeg".
"fileName.jpg" becomes "fileName.jpeg"
"file.name.jpg" becomes "file.jpeg"

If a file with the new name already exists in that location, an error message will be generated and the file name will not be changed.

You can also run the script run by double clicking makeDotJpeg_Droplet. You will be prompted for a folder. Files in the folder will be renamed as outlined above.

This is a script that I have used, it isn't "bullet proof." You should use it on copies of your files until you are sure it works for you as expected.

http://www.whitanderson.com/makeDotJpeg/makeDotJpeg.zip

Another approach is to download "Rename4Mac" which gives you lots of options for renaming files.

http://www.power4mac.com/renamer/

--Whit

mwh710
09-25-2004, 09:11 AM
Thanks, but your first link is broken. I will try the second one & see if I can change them all to .jpeg. Anyone at NewTek got a reason or a solution? Thanks to all who have replied. LW people are the best!

Whit
09-25-2004, 10:45 AM
Sorry about the broken link. It is fixed now.

--Whit

mwh710
09-25-2004, 11:51 PM
Thanks - got it.