PDA

View Full Version : Scremaernet II question

Aquaman
02-12-2003, 09:27 AM
Is it possible to work in Layout while you have Screamernet running from that particular system. For example: I have four systems. Three of which I have set as rendering nodes and the host system that I activate screamernet through I want to be able to work on. As it stands now as soon as I start the rendering process through the network rendering panel on my host system to render out to the other three nodes it ties up my host system as well so I cant work in layout. My question is can I avoid this somehow so I can work in layout on my host system while I render out a scene to the other three nodes.

James P.

mlinde
02-12-2003, 09:34 AM
The easiest way to do this is to duplicate the Layout application, and prefs, rename them slightly, and launch a second copy of the app. Only problem of course is if you change your prefs for one, you need to recopy and re-name them again for the other.

A second (almost as easy) way to do this is to get something like Tequila or another 3rd party SN controller, to leave LW out of the rendering picture all toghether.

Aquaman
02-12-2003, 09:45 AM
Yeah, I thought about going the Tequilla route or just using the screamernet command line and setting a range of frames for each node to render. I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong with the network render panel, because it ties up my host system as soon as I start rendering with it. I could understand that happening if I had my host system running as a node also. :(

PHilly[Dee]
02-12-2003, 11:08 AM
Use a cool free render manager program called LightNet. You can configure it in a way that the nodes run SN from a command line, but the host machine runs lightnet. As you finish your scenes, or update them, you can add, delete, edit your scene list in the LightNet panel. It's really a good free solution to setting up a good renderfarm.

Aquaman
02-12-2003, 12:42 PM
Thanks PHilly[Dee], I'll give ita try.

PHilly[Dee]
02-12-2003, 02:54 PM
Joe Justice is the guy that updated it, you can find it here http://www.joejustice.org/lightwave/lightnet/index.html

Lightwolf
02-13-2003, 04:58 AM
One more thing you can do:

Install LW on another machine, and run it without the dongle. It will only run in Demo Mode, but the network rendering panel will still work.

Cheers,

Mike

Aquaman
02-13-2003, 12:22 PM
Thank you everyone for the helpfull tips. PHilly[Dee] thanks for the link to lightnet. I had thought about putting lightnet on my system a while back, but for some reason I thought you had to pay for it. Must of been one of those late nights when I was looking at it ;) .