PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave 8.0.1 crashes my scene

dhath45
09-03-2004, 11:34 AM
Just thought I'd relay this to you. I just upgraded my Lightwave to the current update, and then tested the software on my last project, to see how well it renders under a high polygon load.

I currently am using a dual processor 3.2 ghz Xeon, with 2 ghz of ram, a wildcat VP990 card.

My scene currently has 617,971 polygons, 178 objects, 28 lights, 52 images/ 139 surfaces. I'm only paning my camera in the animation.

The only plugin I'm using is HD instance.

Segment render limit 32 mb.; antialiasing low, 2 threads

I set up a scene to render, 320x240 pixels, no ray trace options: renders fine.

Same scene with raytrace shadows: renders fine.

Same scene with raytrace shadows/reflections: Lightwave crashes.

Next I set up the same render, using 300mb segment memory: Lightwave crashes.

I then reverted back to Lightwave 8.0, ran same scene, only differences are:

I enabled all raytrace options, 8 threads, 32 mb segment memory, and frame size was 640x 480 pixels: no problems at all.

My preliminary (unscientific) conclusion is: you got a problem with your upgrade, which crashes my scenes when I'm using a lot of data, and when your program is using alot of memory.

As far as I'm concerned, I'm going to stick with 8.0 until I find something more stable.

fboulene
09-03-2004, 11:08 PM
Here also HD Instance 1.62 seems to have a problem with 8.0.1 when you have reflection/refraction enabled.
I did email Happy Digital. They are investigating.

ednachman
09-04-2004, 10:39 AM
I am also having problems with 8.0.1. I'm going to call Tech Support Tuesday. I have redownloaded the 8.0.1 upgrade as suggested by Tech Support in case the file might have been corrupted during the download but it didn't work any better. I have since un-installed 8.0.1 and the program is working okay as "8." Maybe Newtek can supply a CD if indeed the downloads are easily corrupted. Maybe threes a charm but downloading the upgrade twice was enough for me.

sidewing
09-06-2004, 12:01 PM
Lw 8.01 has a bug that doesn't let you load 8.0 files. Especially when you used a lot of different tools from 8.0.

I also had to "downgrade" to 8.0

The list of changes and fixes is impressive though. Next project I will start fresh in 8.01.

ednachman
09-06-2004, 04:49 PM
Sidewing, thanks for the advise. Luckily I'm a newbie and I just started reading Lightwave 8 by Dan Ablan. Everything seems to be working.

EmperorPete
09-06-2004, 06:37 PM
I'd like to be able to start afresh with 8.01, but I'm working on an ongoing series. So no chance of that. And after 8.01 not only crashed one of my scenes but somehow made it crash when I went back to 8.0, I don't think I'll be installing the update again.

J.Barr
09-06-2004, 09:26 PM
My modeler is constantly crashing after the update, at random intervals for no good reason, how can i downgrade from 8.01 easily?

sidewing
09-07-2004, 11:10 AM
J. Barr - Personally, I had to reinstall 8.0. Also, I felt more comfortable with a fresh start.

EmperorPete - Did you freshly reinstall 8.0? What series are you working on? (alway's admire people who commit to series)

tonyg
09-07-2004, 11:13 AM
Whew, glad it isn't just me. LW 8.01 crashes while rendering (after a few frames???). Even Screamer now crashes??? All very wierd. the same scene was fine in 8.0.

Guess I'll downgrade too...

I'd say the easy way to do that would be to backup the configs (mine are ina special "config" folder anyway), and then uninstall LW8.01, and then install 8.0 from the CD?

Pain in the kiester!

EmperorPete
09-07-2004, 04:14 PM
EmperorPete - Did you freshly reinstall 8.0? What series are you working on? (alway's admire people who commit to series)
It was a clean reinstall, after the 8.01 problems, if that is what you mean. And it's not a "commercial" series; it's a series of 3D Transformers cartoons I have been working on for the last year or two :)