PDA

View Full Version : AVI Compression with Alpha?

Nakaleen
09-02-2004, 09:52 PM
I have been using Lightwave with Premiere Pro now for a month or so. I use a DV codec for my AVI's (No rendering to be done in Premiere). But from time to time I need to to a anim of a logo with a alpha channel (so I can use footage for the background etc...)

At the moment the only codec I know of for AVI's is Huffyuv. But the filesize is large, not at large as a uncompressed AVI but still large. Is there a better one around or is that it?

Mylenium
09-02-2004, 11:39 PM
No, except for some hardware dependent CoDecs and HufYUV there are no alpha options for AVIs because Microsoft never intended it to have this option. all CoDecs that do are more or less circumventing the specs. Your best bet would be using Targa files, anyway. Dunno what hardware you are using, but for instance Matrox cards will play them back without rendering (at least certain Digisuite combos do).

Mylenium

Riplakish
09-05-2004, 08:20 PM
I think I just read using .PNG gives you lossless compression with the full alpha channel information, as well, so its as good as a TGA for considerably less space.

I haven't done a test render to verify this, but I've got one day left to my long weekend :)