PDA

View Full Version : New to VertexPaint (**** it Jim,I'm a doctor, not a VP man)

hrgiger
09-02-2004, 03:51 PM
So,I've been using Lightwave for the last couple of years now but I've dismissed using vertex paint up until now and have been opting instead to paint my weight maps manually. I made a simple object today with a few skelegons and fired up Vertex paint and I have to say I think I like it.
I just have a few questions though.
First, and I don't expect a yes answer to this one but I don't suppose I can change the viewport controls? It's sort of "messiah" like meaning whenever I rotate the view, it does the opposite of what I think it should. No? I didn't think so.
Secondly, I Notice it paints with different preset values like 20%, 60%, etc....I'm assuming that it just weights it up to that amount and then the deformations rely then on the bone falloff? Also, if I have my brush set on 20%, will it go above that amount if I paint over the same area twice?

I would appreciate any advice or tips you could give me on using Vertex Paint to paint my skelegon weight maps. Thanks mucho.

Mattoo
09-02-2004, 07:11 PM
Not sure what you mean about the navigation control stuff being like Messiah... never used it. :confused:

As to your second question, you apply the weight values based on whether you have it set to add, replace, subtract etc.. So if you have it set to 20% and it's on "add", then everytime the brush is painted over a certain vertex it increases it by 20%.
However, it won't automatically normalise while you paint (like Maya), so it's easy to go over the 100% mark (which can cause unwanted results). To combat this I often find my self going to the pull down menu and hitting the "normalise" button. It should certainly be the last thing you do before leaving Vertex Paint.
This is all a bit hazey - it's been a while since I did any serious weighting, but that's what I remember of it. It was certainly more intuitive than the normal LW weighting.

Dodgy
09-03-2004, 03:43 AM
remember as well you can cut your object into multiple layers to paint them, then paste them back together and merge them when they're done. Very handy for doing those tricky to do areas...

hrgiger
09-03-2004, 11:55 AM
Wouldn't you rather hide them from within vertex paint? If you cut the model up, won't there be harsh break lines in the weight maps once everything is put back together?

BTW, thanks for the responses.

Dodgy
09-03-2004, 04:02 PM
Well usually I copy the bone which would cover the end of the arm say, then that covers you from the harsh end. Plus of course you can then do the same to the the rest of the mesh. It all works out :)

Axis3d
09-03-2004, 04:44 PM
Vertex paint is one of those hidden gems in Lightwave. The thing I really like is that, while you are painting your weights, you can rotate your bones to see the deformation. If any points are left behind you can just paint them and they will snap into place instantly.

Also, you can rotate the bone pitch and get that set up quickly. You don't need to use the Edit Bones command in the Modeler menus.

Vertex Paint automatically creates the relationship between the bone and the weightmap. Layout only does this when you convert skelegons into bones and the bones have the exact same names as the weight maps. You can have different names in Vertex Paint. Sure, you could use the Skelegon Tree, but that is a bit more cumbersome.

You can paint weights quickly for a symmetrical object. If you paint the weight for the Left Arm bone, you can then Copy, select the Right Arm bone, then Paste -X.

Right-click and dragging will change the size of your brush interactively.

If you find that you are painting "through" the object, and only want to paint on the polys facing you, click on the "Front" button next to the Brush Size. I tend to paint with a very tiny brush as to not over spray too much, since you are only painting the points and not on the polys anyway.