PDA

View Full Version : Graphics Cards ??

davie563
09-02-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi, ive been workin on a scene recently that has over 600,000 polys in it, and the files are starting to slow down :( i was thinking of purchasing a new Graphics card i am using the Ge-Force 4 64mb card at the mo, but was thinking of going for a card in the Radeon range, i just have a few questions about them.

will a better graphics card let me have more polys on screen at one ?

will a better graphics card mean better renders and faster renders ?

and what other cards would u guys recomend within 200 budget, cheers :p

my set-up the now is Pen4 2.2Ghz, 1Gb DDR ram, 60GB HD, and the crappy card mentioned above :eek:

meatycheesyboy
09-02-2004, 04:24 PM
will a better graphics card let me have more polys on screen at one ?

Yes and no. I modeler, yes, it will allow you to have more polys visible without slowdown. In layout, it will also but layout is also more dependant on you CPU depending on what else you've got going on. For example, if you've got a 60,000 poly sphere just animating back and forth in layout then your graphics card would display it no problem, but if that same sphere were being deformed by 20 bones, then its more dependant on whether your CPU can handle the deformations in realtime and not your graphics card. Your graphics card would still be able to display that same 60,000 poly shpere it just may have to wait for your CPU.

No and no. Rendering speed is almost wholly dependant on CPU speed and RAM. As for better renders, do you mean more realistic? That is dependant almost wholly on the artist behind the controls.

and what other cards would u guys recomend within 200 budget, cheers :p

This is a question that you'll get 1,000 diffferent answers on. 200, that's like $350 isn't it? I'd look at a Geforce 5900 SE, they're only about $170 or you can get a Radeon 9800Pro 128M for about $200 or a lowend Geforce 6800 for about $300. But like I said, you'll get plenty more suggestions on this question.

mattclary
09-02-2004, 06:41 PM
Avoid ATI. Get an nVidia.

edit:
One of many weird things...
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=23847

davie563
09-03-2004, 07:06 AM

i should probably have worded this differently, i meant will a better card make the renders much sharper and clearer, i read that u can buy special render cards that make ur renders alot sharper but they are like 2000. Will a better card like a ATI radeon, or FX 5700 produce a sharper image, compared to my Ge-Force 4 ?

that was what i meant :p

BeeVee
09-03-2004, 07:50 AM
No, it makes no difference to your renders - you are talking about a hardware rendering card a horse of a different colour. By the way, nice buns... :)

B

MiniFireDragon
09-03-2004, 08:40 AM
For a sharper image you want more DPI. The computer renders the files it is given. So if u have a 320x240 image u are rendering it will look aweful displayed at 800x600. If you take an image rendered at 800x600 and look at it on a 640x480 it will be sharper. BUT!! For those of you who gone out and paid the least amount of money on you Monitor, then u might get a less then sharp display also. Not all monitors are created equally. Most monitors range from .39 (horrid!!) to I believe .18 (beautiful!). Most store models are .25 - .29. The more expensive the monitor, usually means the finer the grid and the sharper the display.

It is also recommended to reduce eye strain to run the Hz of the monitor at atleast 75hz or higher.

Now, to improve video card performance, you also need to make sure your PC supports 8x transfer and a card that does the same. Also note that going from an AMD 2400+ to a AMD 64 2800+ offers no visible redraw perfomance (was a bit disappointed).

Also another thing to keep in mind is all them fancy dancy new video cards on the market don't do jack for lightwave, as Lightwave doesn't make use of the features on those cards. Such as programmable shaders and the like. That stuff is for games. Just look for how many Polys and Pixels the card can crunch a second and buy what you can afford.

there my 3 and a half cents.

Hope it helps.

davie563
09-12-2004, 08:53 AM
thx for the posts guys, i was just wondering, the card i have the now is AGPx4, how do i check to see if my PC can take AGPx8,

cheers :D

( the card im thinking about gettin is the 256mb Ge-force FX 5700, i was reading some stuff about it and it says it can cope with 374million vertices a second, is this a good card, and its only 80....which is somthin like $130 )

EmperorPete
09-12-2004, 08:57 AM
thx for the posts guys, i was just wondering, the card i have the now is AGPx4, how do i check to see if my PC can take AGPx8,

cheers :D

( the card im thinking about gettin is the 256mb Ge-force FX 5700, i was reading some stuff about it and it says it can cope with 374million vertices a second, is this a good card, and its only 80....which is somthin like $130 )
I use a GeForce FX5900XT, and it's a superb card. About 130 from dabs.com :)

davie563
09-12-2004, 09:04 AM
How do i check 2 see if my pc can handle 8xAGP ?? :confused:

Stormrazor
09-12-2004, 11:44 AM
I have had no trouble with ATI All-in-Wonder. Had Nvidia and had troubles so like one poster said, You will get several people saying several different video cards for several different situations.

good luck

davie563
09-12-2004, 01:20 PM
hmmmmm, ok, ehhh, how do i find out if my pc can support 8xAGP ??????? :confused:

Lamont
09-12-2004, 06:10 PM
Well, find out who made your mobo, then head to the site. They will have all that info.

Or look for WCPUID (google it.)