PDA

View Full Version : Should I Upgrade?

sugna
09-02-2004, 10:12 AM
I love upgrading. :) Can anyone shed light on whether I should 8 or stay at 7.5. I was informed by Newtek that I didn't purchase late enough to be eligible for a free upgrade. :mad:

Shane

nerdyguy227
09-02-2004, 12:38 PM
upgrade :)

Chris S. (Fez)
09-02-2004, 12:42 PM
The 8.01 release is awesome. Upgrade!

WilliamVaughan
09-02-2004, 04:04 PM
The new Bone tools and dynamics are more then reason enuff for me.....but there are many other reasons to as well!

phil lawson
09-03-2004, 02:04 AM
Yes...upgrade! :)

Ztreem
09-03-2004, 02:05 AM
UPGRADE! 8 is great! :D

retinajoy
09-03-2004, 03:56 AM
LW8 is well worth it. Plus, with these new frequent updates from the new team I have plenty confidence in LWs future development.

Kurtis
09-03-2004, 04:01 AM
sugna,

Besides all the new features you get with [8], if you upgrade now, you can get in on the LightWave [8] Training Edition Upgrade special.

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html

Exper
09-03-2004, 04:19 AM
Yes for true! :cool:

mattclary
09-03-2004, 05:19 AM
sugna,

Besides all the new features you get with [8], if you upgrade now, you can get in on the LightWave [8] Training Edition Upgrade special.

http://www.newtek.com/buynow/lw_products.html

If you are even THINKING about upgrading, this should be enough to push you over the edge.

lunarcamel
09-03-2004, 06:59 AM
I think it depends on what tools you need honestly. I rarely use LW for character work - and 8's new Layout features are great and all but I'd still rather port my model into another app for serious work and better workflow. On the modeling side 8 doesn't offer too much more. So really you need to think about what you actually use the program for before you spend money upgrading it ;) Then you can answer your own question!

It's an upgrade that needed to be released dont get me wrong - but for my own work - I could have lived without it.

theo
09-03-2004, 07:35 AM
On the modeling side 8 doesn't offer too much more.

Uhhh LunarCamel are you sure your name shouldn't be LooneyCamel (just having fun)? How can you say that LW8's modelling side doesn't offer much more than LW7.5? That is plain untrue- the modelling side is an outstanding upgrade. You don't seem to use other parts of LW much, are you sure you use the modeller?

retinajoy
09-03-2004, 07:40 AM
Also. Chuck said somewhere (can't remember which forum), that all the various areas are going to be updated during the Lightwave 8 update cycle which will include further enhancing of the modelling and rendering tools. So Lightwave 8 will end up being even more powerful than it's original 8.0 release.

lunarcamel
09-03-2004, 07:59 AM
LOL modeler whats that? Ohh I forgot since Ive been using it since it's birth ;)

I look forward to future updates of LW but I just prefer to wait to see what modeler improvements will be included. I think its smart to research any product before you buy/upgrade. A lot of people here jump on the bandwagon of "Its a must have!!!" and sometimes it's not for everybody ;)

Plus some people/companies have something called a "budget" hehe and that's when it's important to decide whats a "must have" purchase rather then a "whoa look at all the cool new stuff that I'll never use" purchase.

Jeff_G
09-03-2004, 07:14 PM
I agree with lunarcamel. Modeler 8 did not recieve an upgrade worth my coin. The new features of 8 are the same ones I've been using for a long time now (except the new display modes). Some folks really seem to like it though, but I guess it depends on what you want to do with the package. For modeling, it's not worth $500.

w_will
09-03-2004, 10:04 PM
Don't do it...
I mean you could miss out on the next big free promotion. What if you had pre-ordered the upgrade? then you would miss out on the training bundle. You would have DFX+ and UV edit plugins, but who knows what will be next. I say wait until 9 comes out or you see a promo bundle you just can't live without. Who cares about new features? Also stay way from the new Worley plug in Fprime. The near realtime rendering means you can see your images with multi bounce radiosity in seconds instead of hours. This seriously robs you of the joy of waking up in the morning and going to see if your render turned out right.

Alex Rooth
09-04-2004, 02:32 AM
If you are mainly interested in modelling and rendering, then I wouldn't upgrade at this stage. I don't think the enhancements to Modeler would justify the expense. I can't comment on the new additions to Layout because I have not used them, spending most my time on modelling. The small changes to Modeler are nice but you could live without them. IMHO, a major new feature such as proper edge sharpening - which would considerably improve workflow - would justify the expense.

Personally, I feel that I had a good deal from the upgrade because I got DFX+ and the UV edit tools. Also, as I said, the small changes to Modeler are nice, if not major.

Best regards

Alex

digefxgrp
09-04-2004, 05:46 AM
To upgrade or not to upgrade. That is the question.

I guess it depends on what you're using LW for. If you do mostly character work, then 8's definitely worth the price. The hard-body dynamics stuff is also cool.
However if you're more of a "generalist" or focus on modeling, lighting or surfacing, then you might be better off spending the money on plug-ins.

For example, if you want to score a killer modeler upgrade, you'll do much better on the plug-in market. First hit Flay. There's tons of free stuff listed there. Next head over to Pictrix's site and nab ALL his free stuff. Then buy his shareware tools. They're "must-have's". Then pop over to Al Street's site and buy MocoTrans($20.00). Another must-have.

Bevel ++ ($33.00) is a great replacement for LW's bevel tool and offers more diverse bevel features and provides polygon-overlap protection. Verti-Bevel is also one I can't live without.

Polas has some killer stuff like Smart Morph, Random Cloner and all his various "…generator" plug-ins.

The point is there's plenty of reasonably priced commercial tools out there that will REALLY enhance Modeler which all together would total about the same price as you'd spend for the "8" update.

colkai
09-06-2004, 03:47 AM
Also stay way from the new Worley plug in Fprime. The near realtime rendering means you can see your images with multi bounce radiosity in seconds instead of hours. This seriously robs you of the joy of waking up in the morning and going to see if your render turned out right.

SMIRK!!! :D
In case anyone didn't get this, it's called wit, and very funny too! ;)

evilemil
09-06-2004, 11:23 AM
i decided yesterday to remove LW 8 from my hd until they fix the open GL issue.
As i collected all the modelling plugins for LW7 (and i am mainly modelling) i really do not miss too much by going back to 7.5.

nevertheless i made a good deal with DFX+ and UV Editpro. so i do not complain too much. I just can not understand, that other applications can make a proper OPEN GL implementation that works on older cards (every effect can be simulated with software, if the hardware is not the latest one).

If you have a good graphics card and want to animate get the upgrade.
If you just want to model, stick with LW 7.5, like i will do until Newtek gets the display issue solved (it is well known since beginning of may!).