PDA

View Full Version : lightwave 8.x roadmap?

cresshead
09-02-2004, 04:51 AM
OSX 64 bit version
i wonder how far along the "road" lightwave is the being re compiled for the mac 64bit native osx version...they talked about it a year ago..at the time other vendors said a re compile took a weekend to achieve..so what's happened to the native 64bit osx version that newtek talked of?
have their been problems in ahieving this goal and was it harder than first thought?..maybe all vendors have ahd a hard time making their apps 64 bit native for max G5 chip.

fprime-lightwave-sdk
been a while waiting for the lightwave sdk being opened up so f prime can really get "hooked" into lightwave..what's the status of fprime and lightwave currently?..
i did hear that IF it was going to be very difficult then worley would write their own way to get around lightwave's restrictive sdk...

of course this is only problems hi lighted here...lightwave continues to be a very neat app and would do well with the new imac's if it were 64 bit as i'd expect renders to really fly..of course the 400 bug bashing may have been the focus so they [newtek] might move on to mac 64 bit and sdk issues after tidying up from olde wacky code errors from previous coders now working elsewhere.

also once fprime can do evrything [hypervoxels and sas hair] then lightwave woud have a good tech advantage against other renderers such as mental ray etc.

looking forward to hearing "where we are"

Lightwolf
09-02-2004, 05:12 AM
OSX 64 bit version
i wonder how far along the "road" lightwave is the being re compiled for the mac 64bit native osx version...they talked about it a year ago..at the time other vendors said a re compile took a weekend to achieve..so what's happened to the native 64bit osx version that newtek talked of?
I'd assume they still have the issue with old plugin compatibility. That'll have to be ditched for all 64bit ports anyhow though.
It might also be that some approaches they used with the Metrowerks Compiler just don't work with XCode...
I wouldn't expect much of speed increase on the G5 in 64bit mode, memory managment will be loads better though.

Cheers,
Mike

stone
09-02-2004, 05:33 AM
also once fprime can do evrything [hypervoxels and sas hair] then lightwave woud have a good tech advantage against other renderers such as mental ray etc.

not only that, but it would be possible to hook up 3rd party renders altogether such as mental ray.

i would like to see a roadmap too. but its difficult to do, and would most dfifinitly result in 'broken promisses'. i expect the lightwave sdk evolving and improving thoughout 8.x releases, working towards and preparing for a major makeover for lightwave 9. though its just my guess, atleast that would be the more sensible way to approach it.

/stone

Nemoid
09-02-2004, 06:00 AM
Agree on that.
A precise roadmap isn't definable.And i don't like broken promises too. However i see the direction is good for now, starting to make the app more solid and changing step by step things in the core.

hope this will end up with a Modeler/Layout integration one day.

Chuck
09-02-2004, 07:20 AM
This is the press release that you are thinking of:

http://www.newtek.com/news/releases/01-06-04b.html

It's discussing the migration to Xcode, and does not mention any plans for 64-bit.

Lightwolf
09-02-2004, 07:23 AM
Chuck, I know 64bit wasn't mentioned, but first steps first, since XCode (well, and the compatible IBM compiler), are the only OSX compilers that do 64bit anyhow, the migration to XCode has to happen before the 64bit version. And 64bit will be here sooner or later (like, it's going to rain here... sooner or later ;) ).

Cheers,
Mike

TSpyrison
09-02-2004, 07:23 AM
I woudn't blame Newtek if they dont give us anykinda roadmaps or timetables..
Especially after the gripe sessions that happened waiting for Lightwave 8

Just spring it on us when its done.

Nemoid
09-02-2004, 12:48 PM
Agee. as i stated i hate broken promises and delays. even because they are a marketing mistake. on the other hanh i love mantained promises!!!

However,I like more having my app when its done.this way Nt can't go wrong. :)

Chuck
09-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Chuck, I know 64bit wasn't mentioned, ...).

But Cresshead thought we had mentioned it for OS X. We haven't....

cresshead
09-02-2004, 01:50 PM
re:The performance gains possible with the migration to Xcode and becoming an OS X native application may be especially important for the host of new features and enhancements coming up in LightWave 3D version 8.0

so is lightwave 8.0 a OS X native application already?
i'm trying to clear some muddy water here!

can someone explain if what was quoted last year has now taken place and that lightwave 8.0 is a OS X native application or is that still to be made?

also does that in itself mean that lightwave 8.0 is now optomised for the G5 chip or is that also to be done in the future..i'm looking at a new computer and would like to know if a mac would be preferable over a pentium 4 intel chipped pc or not.

i'd just like some "light" shed on the subject if possible!

thanks for your patience and understanding with my "hand fisted", clunky questions!

cheers

Chuck
09-02-2004, 02:01 PM
The conversion has not occurred yet, though as I understand it groundwork is being laid in the code; I'll see if the Development team has any additional information they would like provide at this time.

cresshead
09-02-2004, 03:07 PM
thanks for the fast response, so i think that intel is still the way to go for the time being for running lightwave well and rendering fast.

i may still get a mac, probably one of the new iMAC's in addition to a "bland" but fast intel box from dell or whoever.i just needed an update to what's happening!

also slightly off topic but related, regarding the rendernode video comments elsewhere for messiah and xsi [those are the one's i've downloaded so far] i'm quite ""underwhelmed"" by those demo's..some of the "new and crazy" stuff they show for xsi was in lightwave 5.6 [knife tool] and the so called node editing and keeping intact morphs and animation in xsi came for lightwave in version6.0...years back!...yet they say that no other app can do it...really???
..geez they need to look at lightwave a few years back when roughnecks/dan dare came out.

it's interesting how people percieve an apps "status" including some's new features which are infact very old features in other apps we use everyday.

i'm sure they'll copy them all in time!

for me, lightwave is the "ronseal" of 3d...it does exactly what it says on the button.

cheers