PDA

View Full Version : 8.0.1 reports?

monovich
09-01-2004, 10:59 AM
Any reports on people installing 8.0.1?

I've got it loaded here, everything looks good so far. I'm hoping for the better hub stability noted in the fixes.

-s

pat-lek
09-01-2004, 11:10 AM
Same problem with the selected points than with LW 8

On a G4 bipro, 2x1,25 graphic card Ati Radeon 9000

(I have donwloaded the latest ati's display utilities)

http://patlek.chez.tiscali.fr/bazar/buglw8.jpg

Jean-Paul Lar.
09-01-2004, 12:12 PM
Any one else not able to download the update? Ive tried internet explorer and Safari and neither seem to work?
Ok I got it to work must have just been allot of people downloading it i guess?
Ok Ive got another problem I downloaded the insataller but it wont let me install I get this message when the installer opens? The preflight script was either not executable or not readable. :( If someone knows whats going on id really appreciate some help. :)

turbo
09-01-2004, 12:48 PM
I realize that I am probably the only LW, Mac, low-poly game making, cg female using the Torque DTS exporter on this planet, or any other.. but.. just in case there's another out there somewhere...

LW 8.01 breaks the Torque DTS exporter for Mac.
So.. stay with 8 until NewTek fixes it. :p :) :rolleyes:

marble_sheep
09-01-2004, 12:57 PM
Also, 8.0.1 introduces an annoying display bug where all the text or numerical entry fields are screwy. However, to NT's credit, they acknowledge this in the Readme... so, hopefully it will be fixed soon. Other than that, no smoke pouring out of my machine or anything ;)

Chazz
09-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Well, the OpenGL transparency bug in Modeler (G5/9600 here) is gone, so I'm happy so far. Well done Newtek!

Jean-Paul Lar.
09-01-2004, 01:11 PM
Well Ive tried changing the privalleges of the .sit file to read and write and still getting the same error and ive tried stuffit deluxe and stuffet expander with no luck? but other people have it installed so i just dont get whats going on? :( Does anyone know what might be happening here? :)

NigelH
09-01-2004, 01:17 PM
Too many users currently connected.

Will you folks hurry up please? ;)

marble_sheep
09-01-2004, 01:32 PM
Hmmm.... another interesting thing... the "Esc" key no longer works to cancel a render, you actually have to push "Cancel". Not sure if this is a bug or a feature? I wouldn't mind if it's intentional, because I've had stuff fall on my keyboard in the middle of a render and hit the Esc key... very clumsy of me.

Jean-Paul Lar.
09-01-2004, 01:33 PM
This is a screen shot of the problem im having incase this helps.
any suggestions would be very appreciated. :)

smudge11
09-01-2004, 01:41 PM
Just got the update installed.
Unfortunately, the bug with the Bone Twist tool is still there.
Load up a scene with a rig, attempt to adjust the rest rotation of a bone, bones from that point down in the hierarchy disappear from the display. They are still in the schematic view, but I cannot make them visible or affect them in any view.
These bugs had been discussed so much before that I figured they would have to get some attention. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing?
Dual G4 500, Radeon 8500, OS X 10.3.5

Lou

Chuck
09-01-2004, 01:44 PM
I realize that I am probably the only LW, Mac, low-poly game making, cg female using the Torque DTS exporter on this planet, or any other.. but.. just in case there's another out there somewhere...

LW 8.01 breaks the Torque DTS exporter for Mac.
So.. stay with 8 until NewTek fixes it. :p :) :rolleyes:

The problem is with the plugin, and the developer is fixing it, with our consultation.

marble_sheep
09-01-2004, 01:48 PM
Jean-Paul Lar, Is the file corrupt perhaps? Try re-downloading it and see if that helps. I've seen that error before, but I don't really remember what causes it.

There is still a bug in Layout where the viewport will change to solid color upon switching views, then will go away when you zoom in or move or something.

Jean-Paul Lar.
09-01-2004, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the reply Marble Sheep, Ya ive re downloaded it a bunch of times but i keep getting the same message? Its really weird cause i downloaded 7.5d and installed it with no problem? Im really confussed? :)

turbo
09-01-2004, 02:01 PM
The problem is with the plugin, and the developer is fixing it, with our consultation.
On speaking with him this morning, he had not heard back from the NewTek engineers and the update had already been released.
The conclusion was that it was at NewTek's end as well.

I would not have posted above without that information.
Sincere apologies if the info is incorrect.

blabberlicious
09-01-2004, 02:12 PM
No Blue guide in any of the viewports when you try to RMB and drag to visual scale the area of influence.

Anyone else?

G4 1Dual GHz, Mac 10.3.5, Geforce Ti 128meg & 1.5 ghz Ram

marble_sheep
09-01-2004, 02:15 PM
Thanks for the reply Marble Sheep, Ya ive re downloaded it a bunch of times but i keep getting the same message? Its really weird cause i downloaded 7.5d and installed it with no problem? Im really confussed? :)

Weird. I found this online, but I make no guarentees as to its safety...

Quit the installer program, if it is running

Open the Terminal application (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal)

Type-in the following, but don't hit return yet:
chmod -R a+r

Add an extra space after the above

Next, drag the downloaded .pkg file onto the Terminal window. This will add the path of the installer package you wish to fix. Make sure you only drag the ".pkg" file to the Terminal window, and nothing else (e.g.: not the enclosing folder).

Hit return in the terminal

Double-click on the .pkg file, and it should work properly.

Chazz
09-01-2004, 02:16 PM
I get the blue widgets with all the transform tools, though I don't get one with the zoom tool...makes it hard to see where I'm zooming in on when I don't get the zoom rectangle. :rolleyes:

blabberlicious
09-01-2004, 02:21 PM
Just got the update installed.
Unfortunately, the bug with the Bone Twist tool is still there.

These bugs had been discussed so much before that I figured they would have to get some attention. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone confirm what I'm seeing?
Lou

Confirmed - Still broken.

Very disappointing.

David Wyand
09-01-2004, 02:29 PM
Greetings!

I'm the developer of said plug-in and have been pointed to this thread by a user.

While I have sent NewTek Engineering a full description of the problem with a SDK function call under OSX (works under 8.0, fails under 8.0.1), I've not had a response as to where the problem lies nor am I able to work on a fix.

Chuck, if you have additional information, please pass it along to me offline.

Thank-you.

David Wyand
http://www.gnometech.com

Jean-Paul Lar.
09-01-2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks again marble sheep but still no go. :) This is really wierd I cant say i've had these kind of problems before? :confused: If anyones got any more suggestions that would be awsome.

noiseboy
09-01-2004, 03:14 PM
The .obj and .fac import is still broken in Mac os x version, trying to import either type of file causes modeller to crash.Reverting to 7.5c version of conv3d.p still works though

pat-lek
09-01-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks again marble sheep but still no go. :) This is really wierd I cant say i've had these kind of problems before? :confused: If anyones got any more suggestions that would be awsome.

Restart your Mac (?)

(You must have LW8 installed before the upgrade)

turbo
09-01-2004, 03:22 PM

Have you tried this?
http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/repairprocess.html

monovich
09-01-2004, 03:28 PM
I get that .pkg problem from time to time. Sometimes a reboot fixes it.

-s

meanlebh
09-01-2004, 03:48 PM

You said you didn't have any trouble with the 7.5d update...am I correct in assuming then that you do not have lw 8? to get 8.0.1, you must frist have lw 8....sorry if I just misread your post...

Chuck
09-01-2004, 03:50 PM
On speaking with him this morning, he had not heard back from the NewTek engineers and the update had already been released.
The conclusion was that it was at NewTek's end as well.

I would not have posted above without that information.
Sincere apologies if the info is incorrect.

Actually, the issue is on both ends. The plugin depends on the former behavior of UV handling; the behavior has been changed and the plugin will need to be corrected for that. Apologies if the plugin developer has not heard from our development staff yet, but I can confirm that our development staff does plan to contact him with the proper info he needs to make the correction.

Chuck
09-01-2004, 03:57 PM
Greetings!

I'm the developer of said plug-in and have been pointed to this thread by a user.

While I have sent NewTek Engineering a full description of the problem with a SDK function call under OSX (works under 8.0, fails under 8.0.1), I've not had a response as to where the problem lies nor am I able to work on a fix.

Chuck, if you have additional information, please pass it along to me offline.

Thank-you.

David Wyand
http://www.gnometech.com

I checked and confirmed that a developer had been assigned to get in touch with you. I'll give them a nudge... :)

monovich
09-01-2004, 04:02 PM
looks like the hub stuff still isn't that stable. I get random crashes when switching from Layout to Modeler still.

10.3.5 dual 2.0 G5 8.0.1

Jean-Paul Lar.
09-01-2004, 04:13 PM
Thanks for all the help guys im not sure what I did different but I opened the insataller a bunch of times with no luck and then boom it worked? :)
strange but oh well everything is working now. :D

sjon
09-01-2004, 05:46 PM
Well I got a little farther, I got to the "Read Me" page on the installer and it froze up - had to Force Quit. After a dozen tries, I went back, and after a gazillion million tries, downloaded the installer again (thinking perhaps it was a bad download). Tried with the second installer - got the exact same result - froze on the read me file. Strange, no? :confused:

turbo
09-01-2004, 06:22 PM
wow.. sounds like somethings goin on..

Are you able to look at any log files? Trace what happened?

sjon
09-01-2004, 06:44 PM
It doesn't get that far. Freezes right on the second page of the installer.

archiea
09-01-2004, 08:03 PM
8.01 install Ok on my PB so far, although dl-ing it was hit or miss... Fprime is working... still checking everything else... OS 10.3.5...

riki
09-01-2004, 10:22 PM
I've having the same problem now. Before you ask, yes I do have 8 installed, I'm running OS 10.3.5 and have repaire disk permissions. Will reboot next and try a few more times to see if that brings any joy.

3dworks
09-02-2004, 03:24 AM
The .obj and .fac import is still broken in Mac os x version, trying to import either type of file causes modeller to crash.Reverting to 7.5c version of conv3d.p still works though

i can confirm this here, too! :-(
running under OSX 10.3.5 and G5.

markus groeteke

blabberlicious
09-02-2004, 05:58 AM
Seem to have improved - to the point that it's as fast as 7.5c

Well done Elmar! I know you are a busy :-)

pat-lek
09-02-2004, 06:28 AM
No Blue guide in any of the viewports when you try to RMB and drag to visual scale the area of influence.

Anyone else?

G4 1Dual GHz, Mac 10.3.5, Geforce Ti 128meg & 1.5 ghz Ram

Same thing for me (Ati Radeon 9000)

For the selected points, this curious, they must be behind a polygon to be visible (!)

http://patlek.chez.tiscali.fr/bazar/buglw82.jpg

policarpo
09-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Same problem...still can't see my selected points in shaded mode...and the spreadsheet seems to lock up Layout if you hit an Envelope button in an objects column one too many times....

gatz
09-02-2004, 01:45 PM
I didn't see this in the read me, but a save error I was having is no more. In 8 I could cause a crash fairly reliably by saving with the graph window visible. Of course the file was corrupted. The save no longer causes a crash. I'm wondering if the save code has been changed to avoid the crash, the corrruption or both.

rg

Scott_NewTek
09-02-2004, 05:08 PM
When installing...

Make sure to delete your old Stuffit Expander and then reboot, etc. OS X is very tenacious when it comes to updating the connections between apps and file types!

Apparently, the old Stuffit Expander causes the Package file to have incorrect execute permissions as confirmed by one of our users who updated and then verified the unstuffed files had the correct permissions and allowed him to install properly.

The latest Stuffit can be gotten here: http://www.stuffit.com/mac/standard/updates.html

If you still have problems, call tech support and they'll try to figure out what else might be going on.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-Scott

pat-lek
09-03-2004, 02:14 AM
I just have all delete (lightwave 8, and his prefs) and all réinstall after using stuffit expander 8,02 and i still have the points Bug (!!)

Why this bug, in the 7,5, there is no problem, and it' s not a new fonction, the modeler is unusable if this is not possible to see wich points are selected in shaded solid.

We need a special patch for some specific graphic card (>Ati Radeon 9000 for me)

Please , it' s hard to still waiting for new 1, 2? ;... months

blabberlicious
09-03-2004, 02:30 AM
When installing...
If you still have problems, call tech support and they'll try to figure out what else might be going on.

Sorry for the inconvenience,

-Scott

Hi Scott,

Do you have a news about the Bone tools. have they been fixed?

I would appreciate some sort of status, as was one of the earliest reported bugs.

Many thanks

BTW, Well done on the Open GL improvements - just what the doctor ordered!

pat-lek
09-03-2004, 07:42 AM
I have send an e-mail to ATI, about this problem...

blabberlicious
09-03-2004, 08:49 AM
Phew - they now work as advertised - every since 7.5 they haven't worked for me on a variety of macs and cards.

Nice to see you on it!

Hollow Earth
09-03-2004, 08:52 AM
+ve feedback. no longer crashes upon render (fingers crossed it stays that way). thank you new tek.

Scott_NewTek
09-03-2004, 09:10 AM
I have not seen any news about the bonetools lately, but the development cycle is a bit ahead of the release cycles, of course... if you refresh my memory on the specific bug I can check.

Glad you like the DOF/MB stuff... I was excited when I got it to work. Two down...

-Scott

blabberlicious
09-03-2004, 09:56 AM
Hi Scott, I don't want to ruin your day with a reminder, but the thread with the detail of the Bone Tools bug turned nasty...

Click here to read the original thread....if you dare....Over 18's only (http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=23577)

:-)

Scott_NewTek
09-03-2004, 10:35 AM
OK, I'll check on it.

blabberlicious
09-03-2004, 11:26 AM
At last! Viper now displays UV Textures on Sub-patched Objects.

Oh! Will the joy never end!

Well done Scott.

Don't make me go all mushy

turbo
09-03-2004, 11:35 AM
Group hug! :D

blabberlicious
09-03-2004, 02:46 PM
Fprime & LW Input silders now interact properly, updating the FP Preview when Light Falloff values, etc are dragged - Whereas before values had to be input numerically for the changes to be passed to Prime.

Also, The Light falloff guide appear properly in views, without having to wiggle the zoom to get it to update the display.

It just gets better!

Well done Elmar?!

Now can you PLEASE get the Radial Falloff tools to display in Modeller

Pretty please? :D

The_Eye
09-16-2004, 08:56 AM
Just bumping this up and pleading to have things working correctly in 8, especially Modeler. It's really frustrating having to still model in 7.5.