PDA

View Full Version : NewTek Announces First Maintenance Update to LightWave [8]

Chuck
09-01-2004, 09:52 AM
NewTek is pleased to announce the release of the first maintenance update to LightWave [8]. Designated Revision 8.0.1, the update provides dozens of stability enhancements to LightWave [8], already noted as one of the most rock-solid releases ever for the industry-leading 3D application.

"We're very pleased to be bringing our users the first update to LightWave [8]," said Dr. Andrew Cross, PhD., NewTek's Senior Vice President of Engineering. "LightWave [8] is already production-proven in some of the most demanding production pipelines in the film, television, and games industries. With this release the new development team has addressed many legacy issues, taking LightWave to a new level of dependability."

"LightWave has always been our tool of choice because we know we can depend on the results. We get our work done fast, efficiently and on budget every time." said Emile Smith, Visual Effects Supervisor, Zoic Studios. "With the new animation tools and work flow improvements in LightWave [8] we have the opportunity to push the envelope even further."

The update is available at: http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/index.html

NewTek also recently announced the LightWave® [8] Training Editions, limited time special offers for North American customers. The Upgrade version provides up to $190 in training materials FREE with purchase of a LightWave [8] Upgrade. LightWave [8] Training Edition - Full Seat, provides over $400 in training materials free to purchasers of a new license of LightWave 3D®. The free books and videos are provided by special arrangement with the publishers New Riders, Wordware Publishing and Kurv Studios. For information see http://www.newtek.com/buynow.

BeeVee
09-01-2004, 10:11 AM
LightWave users registered with NewTek Europe should visit http://www.newtek-europe.com to download their updates to 8.0.1 and 7.5d.

B

Aquaman
09-01-2004, 10:20 AM
Woohoo thank you very much guys and thank you for the bug fix list.

Chris S. (Fez)
09-01-2004, 10:37 AM
Wow! You guys have been working really hard! Thank you! Deuce especially!

Trawler
09-01-2004, 10:40 AM
Wow!! Great job Newtek! Just looking at that list makes my brain hurt. Clearly you guys put in a lot of work on this. Thanks and keep up the great work! :)

Kvaalen
09-01-2004, 11:03 AM
Whoohoo! :cool:

Really great to see all those bugs fixed! Way to go!

lasvideo
09-01-2004, 11:07 AM
Thanks Newtek Guys! I appreciate your swift addressing of issues in LW8.

trick
09-01-2004, 11:23 AM
LW [8.01] :)

LW [7.5d] :) :) :)

I foresee a better future since I now can see what issues have been addressed, especially for 7.5 which I'm forced to use for the coming 2 years...

Thanks for this very fast update...I even haven't used [8] yet :) :) :)

smh
09-01-2004, 11:38 AM
First of all congrats on the releases. And my best wishes of steady progress.

The 7.5d release notes indicate over 300 bugs have been squashed, but no further details are given. Can you please elaborate on those a bit.

7.5d Readme (HTML) (http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/downloads/updates/support/lw75d_ReadMe.html)

Thanks,

-SMH

Lewis
09-01-2004, 11:42 AM
Great , thanks to NT team and let's hope that this speedy update trend will continue ;).

BTW i didn't know that so many things were broken ? Most of mentioned stuff as fix works fine on my machine. Either way thanks for update ;).

Joker II
09-01-2004, 11:46 AM
Hi BeeVee,

Problem solved ;)

Great work NewTek ;)

Johnnyx
09-01-2004, 11:49 AM
YES! thankyouthankythankyou... "Depth Buffer AA" now remembers its "flag" !!!

Cheers guys - this is fantastic.....!!!!!!!!

Lynx3d
09-01-2004, 12:12 PM
With this release the new development team has addressed many legacy issues

Wow, Newtek finally impressed me :D
That's what i call decent bugfixing, already downloaded, will now install...
let's see if my custom polygon handler still crashes LW ever so often if i accidently hit the "edit plugins" button instead of the "additional" one below...perhaps it is my fault, but the spikey plus SDK sample already did that.

Oh and:
"Hub: Layout hangs when syncing with object changes from Modeler"
That one was driving me nuts on one scene, hope this really is fixed!

beverins
09-01-2004, 12:26 PM
Just wondering, because I'm not able to retrieve the file with my login, which is curious. The download popup just sort of hangs there, blank, and the titlebar has the pathname of the FTP folder where its located.

beverins
09-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Now it just gives me a 404 error. I guess its being "slashdotted".. or would that be "newtekked"? "Lightwaved"? :-)

Earl
09-01-2004, 12:33 PM
Hey Chuck, I don't see the LW [8] manual download link inside my registration page. Was it removed for a reason, or by mistake?

BeeVee
09-01-2004, 12:53 PM
Hi all,

It seems like it's going pretty fast here - 60k/s. For those in Europe that want a direct link to the page in English:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/download.html

in French:

http://www.newtek-europe.com/fr/support/download.html

art
09-01-2004, 12:54 PM
Hey Chuck, I don't see the LW [8] manual download link inside my registration page. Was it removed for a reason, or by mistake?

Yup, I don't see the manual download either. It used to be there. I see the 8.0.1 download though.

That reminds me to make a backup of the pdf manual file, in addition to the printed one, that is :)

hrgiger
09-01-2004, 01:07 PM
Excellent! I just got it downloaded and fired it up. I can confirm that the hub isn't hanging like it was before jumping from modeler to layout and that's good news.

HowardM
09-01-2004, 01:52 PM
THANK YOU Newtek!

It appears that FX "Looplock" has been snuffed out 90% of the time, but I am still running into issues when I select another program and return to LW.

Anyone else?

I notice now when you hit Calculate that the Obj Props panel is kept in focus even if you try to move it or select another panel. This seems to stop you from doing anything before aborting using Ctrl.

But as I said, if you hit Calculate, select the IE window for instance, and return to LW and try to hit Ctrl, you will get the usual "Not Responding" lockup.

While some have reported they are refreshed once LW has calculated, this is still not acceptable because sometimes the timeline is set to 500 frames and who has time to wait?!

I would like an abort that works everytime please!

Thanks guys!

I look forward to any other fixes I come across.

Chuck
09-01-2004, 01:53 PM

Not a mistake, converting the panel code for that download made it possible to get both update versions posted earlier in the day, and the IT staff is building a new download panel for the manual - it should be back before the end of the day.

Earl
09-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Not a mistake, converting the panel code for that download made it possible to get both update versions posted earlier in the day, and the IT staff is building a new download panel for the manual - it should be back before the end of the day.

Ahh, gotcha.

Ztreem
09-01-2004, 03:30 PM
Awesome!!! downloading it right now, looking forward to this. :D
BTW the rendering improvment, is it included in this release??

erich
09-01-2004, 04:03 PM
Hey Thanks Newtek.

I downloaded and installed the update, but now lightwave says it is the "Discovery Edition". I am guessing that this means I need to apply my registration number or something like that. How do I do this or otherwise get rid of the "Discovery Edition", so that it is a "normal" version of lightwave?

I had a look at the registration page but, step 2 says "Go to Start | Programs | Register LightWave | Register LightWave." and I don't have this option on my system.

thanks for your help.

philippe
09-01-2004, 04:13 PM
thanks for the fast update :)

Lynx3d
09-01-2004, 04:33 PM
erich:
Although you shouldn't need to do anything, try the "Help->Enter Licence" in Layout and type in your permanent key again...
Did you install it to a different path than the previous LW8?
If so just move the licence.key...

erich
09-01-2004, 04:39 PM
erich:
Although you shouldn't need to do anything, try the "Help->Enter Licence" in Layout and type in your permanent key again...
Did you install it to a different path than the previous LW8?
If so just move the licence.key...

I don't have a "Enter Licence" under my Help (in either Modeller or Layout). It was installed to the same directory as my original install.

Carm3D
09-01-2004, 04:52 PM
One of the fixes noted:

Bones with Dynamics are not affected by oscillations

Is this suggesting that IKBoosted bones will now oscillate? I just tested it out and they still don't seem to oscillate (wiggle back and forth). They merely 'ease' back into place, never overshooting it's original rotation unless it's moved in the opposite direction.

Bytehawk
09-01-2004, 06:54 PM
Cheers to the team for making it available to european and american users at the same time. Really appreciated.

smh
09-01-2004, 07:45 PM
I'm still wondering about the improvements in 7.5d (see my post above). Will there be an official announcement for that version? Has there been any progress on the issues affecting multi-pass rendering?

Thanks,

-SMH

riki
09-01-2004, 10:02 PM
Dang! the Installer's not working for me.

Karmacop
09-02-2004, 02:32 AM
Maybe your download didn't actually complete riki?

riki
09-02-2004, 03:40 AM
Normally if that's the case I find that I'm not able to decompress the file. I'll try downloading it again tonight.

Exper
09-03-2004, 03:16 AM
Thanks to NT for the first Update...
but...
LW 8.0.1 Software Fixes list doesn't mention the RayTracing optimizations!

Am I blind... or they're not yet included?

TheDAve
09-04-2004, 06:15 AM
Is there anyway to determine my serial number from my installed copy of lightwave? I don't have the box to hand right now.

If not I can wait till Monday when I can get to the box, I just don't want to wait to download the update:)

DAve

Chuck
09-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Thanks to NT for the first Update...
but...
LW 8.0.1 Software Fixes list doesn't mention the RayTracing optimizations!

Am I blind... or they're not yet included?

You are correct, they are not yet included. I do not have any more information from the development team than just that, but have requested an update from them as to when this improvement can be expected.

Exper
09-07-2004, 06:47 AM
Strange... RayTracing optimization was ready for Lw8.0 but not included... as previously reported. :confused:

We'll wait!

dmg3d
09-07-2004, 07:17 AM
Dang! the Installer's not working for me.

Riki-

Make sure you're using Stuffit 8.0.2 too...

-Dave

kml12
09-09-2004, 09:49 AM
Newtek,

First of all good job on this update, I have not run into any problems...

Chuck, I take it from this release that the SDK has not yet been opened up for F-Prime, etc has it???

Signal to Noise
09-09-2004, 12:34 PM
Question about the Cycler "fix" (and I've sent an email to NewTek as well):

from the 8.0.1 update list page:
Graph Editor:
Excessive scaling of the vertical axis causes Layout to quit
Motion Modifiers connected to bones will not save with scene file
Cycler ‘Control Lower Value’ has no effect
Graph Editor only clears memory use when it is closed down
Timeline does not auto-update to changes in Layout timeline

Does this imply Cycler is actually fixed? Since LW 7.5 Cycler has not been working. I updated my LW with the much appreciated 8.0.1 enhancement and went through Dan Ablan's Inside LW 7 Cycler tutorial (chapter 15) again. But it still doesn't work. Unless the steps to get it going have changed. Interestingly Dan's Inside LW [8] book doesn't cover Cycler. Is cycler a lost cause? It is such a useful tool and I want it to be functional again!

If anyone has managed to get Cycler working please share the set up routine. If not then hopefully NewTek will be addressing this problem in 8.0.2 ;)

danielh68
09-09-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi, I'm a newbie.

Just got LW8 today and downloaded the patch. However, I'm a little confused on what to do with it. Should the destination folder be the LW8 folder or should I create a separate one for LW8.0.1?

Thanks,
Dan

retinajoy
09-09-2004, 05:40 PM
The destination folder should be your existing Lightwave 8 folder.

danielh68
09-09-2004, 05:47 PM
Thanks, RetinaJoy! Much appreciated.

Lynx3d
09-09-2004, 06:10 PM
Chuck, I take it from this release that the SDK has not yet been opened up for F-Prime, etc has it???

The only SDK change is a new parameter in the ObjectReplacementAccess.
But this is just the first '.0x' patch, so what do you expect?
I only hope that patches will come more regularly now, there are enough bugs left to be fixed, but i'm confident :)