PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 and LW

Cutty
09-01-2004, 07:42 AM
Any thoughts as to how LW 8.0 will run on the new iMac G5. Would it be about the same computing experience as on a PC (AMD 2500 with a gig of ram)? or better?

bloontz
09-01-2004, 07:58 AM
I would say go for a dual processor desktop unless you are strapped for cash. They are attractive and the LCDs are a nice bonus but they will probably be considerably slower than a desktop. They have slower system busses and other limitations.

Cutty
09-01-2004, 08:22 AM
Agreed. I think it would be worth the extra money to get the dual-even though I've never used a Mac.

One other question. Can you perform many of the same types of compositing tasks with Final Cut Pro (or even express) that you can with DFX+? Or does DFX+ produce higher quality results than Final Cut-if cost is equivalent to quality.

mattclary
09-01-2004, 08:26 AM
And if you're strapped for cash, you can get a quality PC for a lot less.

bloontz
09-01-2004, 10:03 AM
DFX+ is a compositing/motion graphics app and FCP is a nonlinear editor. FCP does have compositing features but it isn't dedicated to that task. FCP doesn't have the 8bit limitations that DFX+ has though. Motion is closer to DFX+, I believe it is 8 bit also. If it is just simple composites that you need FCP should easily fit the bill. If you need more sophisticated motion graphics, than DFX+ or motion may be more suited to the task. What will you be doing with the software?

Cutty
09-01-2004, 10:52 AM
Currently, I use DFX+ for all of my video needs. All of my footage comes out of LW. Then I add Photoshop elements to create a video. I do mostly industrial animation.

The attached image is from one of my videos. Although I will say with my current computer setup (AMD 2500), when I do these videos, there is no real time anything-it sucks.

I haven't purchased a Non-linear suite yet (like Priemere and AF) because I know that I want only one platform (Mac) and I haven't purchased my first Mac yet (cost).

I have enjoyed using DFX+ and hate to loose it but if Final Cut will do the job, having everything I need on the Mac would be great.