PDA

View Full Version : Recycle UV map?!

Thomas M.
08-31-2004, 03:39 PM
To my shame I have to admit to be not familiar with the usage of UV maps. I'm this kind of procedural guy. But my latest work project forces me to use one image as a bump map about 400 times on my object. It's every time the same geometry on which I need to map this image.

So, is it possible to use this image with UV maps multiple times? I cloned one object with an UV and the bumps appeared both times in the right place, but is it possible to assign this UV to some existing polygons? How would I do that?

Thanks for finding some time to answer this question.
Thomas

Silkrooster
08-31-2004, 08:44 PM
Is it necessary to use UV's? Sounds like you just want to add bump maps using the same texture image. If your familar with procedurals then you should be familar with bump maps. Just assign each object with the same texture. I guess whether or not you should use UV's is going to depend on the object, on how bumpy the actual object is. If it is smooth you don't really need uv's if it is really bumpy them your better off using them.
I recommend that you purchase a book called "Lightwave 3D 8.0 Texturing" by Leigh van der Byl this book will teach you what you need to know about regular texturing as well as UV texturing.
To get you started with UV's in Modeler righthand bottom corner are some button press the T button. In the drop down menu to the right of the button is where you can add a new texture map. This map will be applied to your selected polys. This allows you to apply more than one uv map to an object.
Then your going to have to unjumble the mess that is your UV Map by changing one of the windows to UV Texture. Once it starts to make sense you can export that using the eps export plugin and using a program like photoshop or similar to create your textures. Good luck and hopefully others will give you other advice to help.
Silk

Thomas M.
09-01-2004, 12:27 AM
Thanks for your answer, Silkrooster. Well, probably I should described my stuff a bit more precise (Would have saved you some time, sorry).

I need to texture the suckers of an octopus. Each sucker has a special pattern of lines, pointing from the outside of the round sucker to its center. So, every texture has a center on its own. I can't assign one surface to the whole object as the texture wouldn't be "in place". More difficult is that the suckers get smaller the more they reach the end of the arm. A UV would stay in place, attached to each sucker, right? That's why i thought i need to use them. If anybody has another idea it's appreciated.

But back to my main question: Can I assign the UV I once created for one sucker to others that already exist? Like assigning a surface? Polygons would look the same!

faulknermano
09-01-2004, 01:20 AM
thomas m., i know exactly what you are saying. it's like using UV spider, only more flexible.

i think a little lscripting can get you there somewhat. the trick is the ability to reference the UVs in the proper order as the original: apply the UV values of one point to the correct point of the geometry you wish the bring the UVs to. but you must customise this function using lscript... i dont think there's a native command for this.

Silkrooster
09-01-2004, 01:39 AM
There are two ways I can see doing this. One is to assign a surface name to all the suckers and apply the uv to these surfaces. This is the only way I know of to assign the same uv to more than one area of the object.
The other is create a large uv of your object and create multiple copies of the image in an image editor, so you will see duplicates of your suckers on one uv map.
The first way would keep the file size down, however you would be creating approx 400 surfaces and 400 uv maps.
What would have been nice would be to make one sucker, texture that and then use the array tool. But I don't think the array tool update the texture. Oh well, just a thought.
Silk

faulknermano
09-01-2004, 01:45 AM
There are two ways I can see doing this. One is to assign a surface name to all the suckers and apply the uv to these surfaces. This is the only way I know of to assign the same uv to more than one area of the object.

unless the suckers are out of the primary axes' planes, so that no uv projection will fit them.

What would have been nice would be to make one sucker, texture that and then use the array tool.

this is ideally the best way to go about it... from the start. i dont know if the array tool will keep uv info... i know that people keep saying that point clone plus wont. you can try PointCloneExtra4 (check flay.com). it will keep UVs intact.... oh well.....

toonafish
09-01-2004, 09:48 AM
I have this copy- and paste-uv's I use a lot for stuff like this and to be honest I don't remember if it comes with Lightwave of if I downloaded it somewhere. But if you don't have it check Flay for it. With this tool you can just select one object, copy the UV's, select all the other objects and paste them. Remember to unweld before you do this and merge when you're done.

To my shame I have to admit to be not familiar with the usage of UV maps. I'm this kind of procedural guy. But my latest work project forces me to use one image as a bump map about 400 times on my object. It's every time the same geometry on which I need to map this image.

So, is it possible to use this image with UV maps multiple times? I cloned one object with an UV and the bumps appeared both times in the right place, but is it possible to assign this UV to some existing polygons? How would I do that?

Thanks for finding some time to answer this question.
Thomas