PDA

View Full Version : Hard drive usage & LW

Caligo
08-30-2004, 04:17 PM
Does modeler/lightwave depend heavily on hard drive access while it's running? When I have a file transfer going across my network, or anything else where the hard drive is being accessed heavily, lightwave takes 10 to 15 seconds to come back into focus when I minimize it or alt-tab between open programs. Also, clicking the dropdown that lets you switch between open models in modeler causes the system to hang for 10-15 seconds. Both of these are instantaneous when theres nothing else accessing the hard drive. CPU usage is very low, the file transfer is between 0 and 2% in task manager, idle is always between 95-99%. Unless I'm saving/loading a file, lightwave doesn't seem to access the hard drive much. Is LW trying to keep the hard drive to itself?

chromatic
08-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Depends on how much RAM you got ;) If you think your HD is too busy swapping then get more RAM.

Mylenium
08-31-2004, 03:55 AM
This is not related to any hardware specific problems - even more RAM won't avoid this behavior. Most likely it's the Hub which slows down things while working locally, and with networking there might be several things to consider even on a fast network. Either it's bad routing (too many packet collisions) or, which is more likely, Windows checks to rarely if its mapped network drives are still there. Then when you need to access these, it takes some time for Windows to "wake up" and check. Also be aware that use of explicit user rights will slow down things, since Windows keeps checking those as well.

Mylenium

Caligo
08-31-2004, 11:08 AM
If it's the hub, is there any way to change the location that it uses for temp files? It's using my C drive (which is a small partition on my primary drive ~10gb) and I have a second hard drive that I can use for that, if it'll let me change it.

Mylenium
09-01-2004, 12:12 AM
You need to change your system's temp variable and add user specific variables for your user dir.

Mylenium

Riplakish
09-05-2004, 08:32 PM
Resources - menus, Icons, etc. get loaded off the hard disk, as well. Typically, you'll see the
hit the first time you access them (e.g. how long does it take to get your Start menu up, or
open control panel while windows is still firing up apps at startup?). Typically, once they're
loaded, they're small enough to stay cached, unless the machine is terribly strained.

Hit CTRL-ALT-DEL, and bring up the performance monitor, and keep an eye on memory and
CPU usage, and see what the bottleneck is.

Caligo
09-07-2004, 01:57 PM
I managed to get rid of the problem. I moved the temp directory over to my second drive using the -c<drive:\folder> option on the end of the command on the shortcut.

Riplakish, I checked on the memory and cpu usage before anything else, and everything was in order. None of the processes were taking up much RAM and the cpu usage was minimal. That's why I suspected the hard drive. Switching the temp folder the second drive seems to have worked.