PDA

View Full Version : rust shader?

andromeda_girl
08-30-2004, 12:52 PM
isn't there supposed to be some kind of rust or dirty shader in LW?

where is it?

if not, where in heck can one find such an elusive yet seemingly simple and frequently used thing?

mattclary
08-30-2004, 01:16 PM
Just dig in and get your hands dirty, it's not that hard. ;)

http://www.3dluvr.com/davewilson/makingof/arach/MakingOfArach.htm

andromeda_girl
08-30-2004, 01:29 PM
wow that is some fine work and all but the problem is i need streaking.
this effect you have achieved in your link sample is great but not the type of look i am after.

'dirtyup' allowd you to create streaks of dirty stuff, so it appears as though rain or wind has weathered a surface in a particular direction, not just splotching it in random areas.

this is why i am trying to find this plugin, and hopefully it works with LW7.5

nice sample though, i shall keep this in mind if i need it for anything else.

~A.

mattclary
08-30-2004, 02:28 PM
Have you looked at Flay.com? Also post the question over at CGTalk.com.

andromeda_girl
08-30-2004, 02:49 PM
i am finding that i can replicate my look with procedurals so far, thanks.

toby
08-30-2004, 04:44 PM
Not sure how you're going about it, but you should know that Surface Mixer is extremely useful for adding rust and grime. It allows you to make a metal surface and a rust surface separately and then mix them in any pattern you can make in the texture editor. This frees you from having multiple channels in one surface, 1 bump map for metal and one for the rusty part, plus 1 spec map for the metal and another for the bump, etc. Trying to get good looking rust when half of the surface/channels are metal texture is a pain!

wacom
08-30-2004, 04:56 PM
I'd use some weight maps too- can help get the grime in the right areas...

andromeda_girl
08-30-2004, 05:32 PM
thanks fore all the support and advice, but we are beginning to get into over my head territory, i am a novice.

i havew a rather non specular surface that requires some areas being covered with grime in a very subtle manner, that streaks back.

This is pretty much it. what i have done so far is used the rigid multi fractal procedural texture. i am stretching the texture a great deal along the Z axis to get the streaking, streaming look i want.
scaling and position allows me to put it where i want. it seems to be working not too bad, all i need is a subtle, smoky look in key areas.

mattclary
08-30-2004, 09:15 PM
Toby, what is Surface Mixer and where would one aquire it?

toby
08-30-2004, 09:18 PM
It shipped with 7.5c, it's under 'shaders' - you need to have both surfaces on a polygon somewhere in the scene, when you apply it you set the blend to '0' and apply a texture instead.

Hoopti
08-30-2004, 09:41 PM
Its in the same place in LW 8 as well. Great little shader to use.

Hoop

mattclary
08-31-2004, 05:41 AM
Who needs a new app when you keep finding new things in LightWave?! :cool: Thanks, guys!