PDA

View Full Version : Better Timeline Zoom

jgaris
04-02-2003, 07:50 PM
I would really like to see better timeline view manipulation. I would like to have more control over the zoom and pan of the timeline. The best I've seen out of any application would have to be Sonic Foundry's Acid Pro. It's simple, fast, and accurate.

SBowie
04-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Could you describe in what way it shines for us?

jgaris
04-02-2003, 08:53 PM
The best part about Acid Pro's timeline is the horizontal slider on the bottom is stretchable. Grab either end of the silder and stretch it out to zoom in or out in that direction.

I'll post a demonstration tomorrow, when I get to the office.

tmon
04-02-2003, 11:52 PM
The Right-mouse click on the TEd timeline ticker line and mouse move up, down, left or right is pretty cool to me.

TEd's advantage over the ACID Pro horizontal bar method, IMHO, is that I can move my cursor over a portion of the timeline and zoom in or out accordingly while keeping the area of the cursor in view.

Likewise, the vertical sizing of the timeline is more fluid than ACID
's, at least in ACID 3.0 (which is what I have).

Just my opinion, tho.

ted
04-02-2003, 11:55 PM
I like the "Scroom" control we currently have. But I can't compare it to Acid. At least not since the 70's.:p

I do wish the line markers represented somethig real, like seconds with longer marks for 10's, Minutes, etc.

RomainR
04-03-2003, 09:28 AM
I think they did a great job with the zooming of the timeline in TED.

it's all zoomable and movable within one click. To do the same in acid would require two clicks. That's one too many for me when you got to get that video out in a jiffy.

jgaris
04-03-2003, 10:10 AM
Granted, I do love the functions they've included to zoom move around the timeline. But I find that sometime's I get lost. A horizontal slider gives me a sense of where I am in relation to the project. If it would be possible to use the current mouse controls and have the visual slider, it would be a great help.

I made a demonstration of what I'm talking about. You can download it here: http://www.jeffgaris.com/acid-1.wmv . You'll have to "Save Target As...", it's around 1.9MB.

- Jordan

jgaris
04-03-2003, 10:26 AM
I must apologize for wasting everybody's time...

I just took a closer look at the T[3] photos and sure enough, it's already there!

Hooray!!!!!

SBowie
04-03-2003, 12:15 PM
It appears you may be correct - at least there does appear to be a scrub-bar there, though I don't know if it does the scrub-zoom thing you want.

I was surprised by your request, because the intuitive zooming is one of ToasterEdit's strong points in my mind. I find that to be a frequent shortcoming of timeline sw, and I really like the 'select/de-select and double-click' zoom along with the right-click and drag zoom. Still, more options can't hurt...

CROUTON213
04-03-2003, 12:19 PM
And I wish that the right mouseclick activated the Scroll/Zoom function anywhere in the Toaster Edit timeline. I hate having to go up in the relatively tiny area above the timeline in order to do this. The pop up menu currently comes up when right clicking in the timeline area. This should be like in Lightwave where you hold down CONTROL-SHIFT and then right click to get the menu pop up. More and more quick keys please and manually definable quick keys.
-qb

Gordon
04-07-2003, 09:16 AM
VT[3]'s 'SuperSlider' is what your looking for and yes Newtek will keep the existing method as well.

tmon
04-10-2003, 10:57 PM
Gordon is right. I witnessed it at NAB. With respect to zoom, we got it all now! Well, when VT3 ships, that is.

Jim Capillo
04-11-2003, 05:53 AM
Cool...........:) :cool: