PDA

View Full Version : liquid effect

yogee
08-30-2004, 03:30 AM
hai, i'm a newbie :D here... i really need some help :confused: ... i'm new to 3d and lightwave.... right now i need to create a 3d form of a liquid which need to be animated.. a metalic looking liquid.. and i need animate it to morph into an object.. is this possible :eek: .. can some1 help me with this... i don wanna create a ripple effect.. it should look like its moving very randomly... and how difficult is it to achieve this?? :cool:

yogee

riki
08-30-2004, 03:39 AM
Realflow looks good, and at a bargain basement price.

http://www.nextlimit.com/

MiniFireDragon
08-30-2004, 07:10 AM
umm... When did $1400 become bargain basement?

mattclary
08-30-2004, 09:10 AM
i'm new to 3d and lightwave....

Dude, you are soooooo starting with the wrong project.

nerdyguy227
08-30-2004, 01:00 PM
do you have any other 3d animation experiance, because if not you are looking for an extreamly long, detailed tutorial that you would pay for.

It is possable and realflow looks like a good investment.

If you want to do this without any money spent and you have little experiance, GOOD LUCK!!!

SplineGod
08-30-2004, 09:13 PM
This could be done using a combination of morphs and displacements.

Lightwolf
08-31-2004, 02:53 AM
Last time I had to create an effect like that, I used a combination of Hypervoxels, Morphs, Displacements, plenty of passes and compositing and it was still a pita ;)

Not for the faint at heart I'd say ;)

Cheers,
Mike

mattclary
08-31-2004, 05:46 AM
What, Mike!? You mean there's no "Create Terminator II Effect" button?! ;)

Lightwolf
08-31-2004, 06:02 AM
What, Mike!? You mean there's no "Create Terminator II Effect" button?! ;)
Nope, and last time I did it I spent half a day telling my client _why_ this is still a hard thing to do years after Terminator II - which, incidentally, is exactly what my customer wanted (for a hole puncher !). :cool:

Yeah, the big boys sometimes really turn life into the hell for us small guys, especially when the customers with no budget want ILM ;)

Cheers,
Mike

lasvideo
08-31-2004, 11:36 AM
Boy, after visiting the Real Flow site and seeing all the people complaining about lack of support and problems using it with LW8 and Max,I personally would stay the hell away from that product. Even thought the software seems great, issues like that can make it almost useless. For $1200!

nerdyguy227
08-31-2004, 05:14 PM
Like this?

(attachment in divx format)

yogee
08-31-2004, 08:13 PM
hey guys, thank you so much for ur help

what i mean by a newbie is that i'm still very much a beginner.. not yet a pro... liek some of u guys.... i did however study it for one term in college.. now working and my boss wants me to achieve something similar... so thanks a lot again...

by the way the next limit site was a real eye opener... maybe i'll ask my boss to get the plug ins hehehe... lets c what he says...
:D

yogee
08-31-2004, 08:19 PM
[QUOTE=nerdyguy227]Like this?[QUOTE]

hey this is quite good without using the realwave plug-in. i got to try out something like this... thanks nerdyguy227..

say what if i just wanted a ripple effect would it be the same method??

nerdyguy227
08-31-2004, 09:34 PM
Sorta. I used (and you can also for a ripple efect) a displacement bump map with a simple morph. It didn't take long at all to make that, but if you want it to morph into a complicatedd object you could spend hours tweaking. Realflow is something I want to get myself and it has the ability to do what I did with a much more realistic look and would probibly be much easier to tweak with many more fetures.

If this is your only fluid-like project for a while then I wouldn't bother getting realflow (at least for now since you wont need it and newer versions come out), but if you will constanly be trying to simulate fluid, I think it would be a good investment.

To make a ripple you would only really need the displacement map. An endmorph in most situations would not be nessesary.

I have attached the scene with the puddle morphing into the weirdo so you could see how I did it (you have to un-zip it before you run it). If you want to know how to create endmorphs, I would recomend geting an all-around LightWave 8 book, such as "Inside LightWave 8".

badllarma
08-31-2004, 10:51 PM
Hi yogee

try this plugin "Melt" found here
http://kaniserver.homeip.net/~konoha/psycho/
looks like may be of some use to you.
:o

JCG
09-01-2004, 03:17 PM
I tried it with Lightwolf's method (except that I didn't use any compositing obviously :) ) and it took me just 29 minutes to get this (plus about four hours of rendering ^^; ) but now then, that was me, if you could get a blind monkey or a druken chipmunk to do it, you'd probably get in 1/10th of the time.
Divx File (http://www.softmaniacr.com/prueba/t2.avi) (787k)

Of course obvious things that need to be fixed:
The HVs should be bigger in the beginning (since you can see the individual blobs) and a bit smaller at the end
The timing of the last segment is too fast because I was getting too many frames and the file would be too big ^^;
The object looks black at the end because of mis-timed dissolves
The ripple is pathetic but that's because I'm an idiot and I froze and killed the polys before setting it up so, when I got to it, I had no visual ref to see what was going on... and with 256 megs, the "show particles" becomes unusable at 32k points
Surface is straight LW out-of-the-box Mercury (well, everything is straight out of the box LW, including the model!), no tweaking, no fresnel, nothing.
And the most obvious error is that there (at least) is one missing endomorph. When the head and torso are formed, the molten legs should reduce their volume, not their density (duh!!!!!) but that should take about 20 seconds correct.

but those should all be pretty easy to fix

JCG
09-01-2004, 11:04 PM
about the HV size problem. I made some tests to see what would look molten-ish at the start of the thing. What I found... well it's in the file ^^;. Somewhere between size 40 and 80 (mm), the render time increases manyfold but it also starts to have a smooth surface...
(The render times will most likely be much faster in your computer :) )
(what can I say? I always wanted to try this ^_^;;; )
I guess increasing the subdivision level should help smooth the globs with a smaller HV size too...

art
09-02-2004, 09:56 AM
I remember when metaballs were used for liquidishy types of things. That was quite a long ago. Anyone still uses them for anything?

Even If I set the metaball resolution quite high, I still get some geometry irregularities that are visible in render.

nerdyguy227
09-02-2004, 10:01 AM
Hi yogee

try this plugin "Melt" found here
http://kaniserver.homeip.net/~konoha/psycho/
looks like may be of some use to you.
:o

too bad I can't read japinese

yogee
09-07-2004, 10:21 PM
hey guys thanks alot for the help... i decided to make it more simpler.. maybe i'll post the link to that site when its finished... realflow is deffinately not for beginner like me...
thanks guys :D :p :rolleyes: ;) :)

Mipmap
09-08-2004, 03:00 AM
What about animated procedurals on a plane with a water texture? That always worked ok for me.

Titus
09-08-2004, 07:44 AM
I remember when metaballs were used for liquidishy types of things. That was quite a long ago. Anyone still uses them for anything?

Pixar is using metaballs for a character in their upcoming feature "The Incredibles".

anieves
09-09-2004, 07:18 AM
too bad I can't read japinese

dude just click on the LW Plugin link....

art
09-09-2004, 02:21 PM
Interesting. Perhaps they have different implementation of metaballs. My LW renders weird artifacts on metaballs even with surface smoothing on and relatively high MB resolution. I guess the triangular mesh produced by mb is the culprit here.

Pixar is using metaballs for a character in their upcoming feature "The Incredibles".