just thought I'd pass on the info:

http://www.3dfestival.com/story.php?story_id=988

Thanks,
dan

hrgiger
04-02-2003, 07:17 PM
Dan,

That's awesome! Congratulations.

Hope you'll still have time to write my Inside LW8 book.;)

dablan
04-02-2003, 08:57 PM
For you -
I'll make time :)

Dan

Beamtracer
04-02-2003, 09:11 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, the last time there was a new editor at Keyframe (maybe about a year or two ago) the new and old editors indulged in a public bunfight, arguing about who was best and badmouthing each other. It turned me off subscribing back then.

Now that the very capable Dan Ablan is at the helm, I think I might take up a subscription!

dablan
04-02-2003, 09:23 PM
Well, whatever happened then - happened.

Lee Stranahan (form Editor) and I are long time friends.
So, no soap opera here.

BTW, I'd love to hear suggestions for improvements, features, etc. Send them to [email protected]

Thanks,
Dan

trentonia
04-03-2003, 08:15 AM
What happened to Lee? I liked the changes he made when he took over. Dan, what issue will you start with?
greg

dablan
04-03-2003, 08:30 AM
We're starting now - with issue 33. But I'll be fully involved with the next one 34.

Lee is now publishing NewTek Pro. Head on over to www.NewTekpro.com and read up.

Cheers,
Dan

Stranahan
04-03-2003, 09:34 AM
I'll just echo what Dan said - no drama here. I'm proud of what I did at Keyframe, and I certainly trust Dan to continue in that same direction of growth.

At NewTekPro, I'm the publisher and not primarily the editor - so it's a different set of challenges for me. We'll have some announcements in the next couple of weeks.

I think that it says a lot about LightWave to have two great magazines covering it - especially in a day and age where the magazine business is having a rough time. Big benefits for the users.

hrgiger
04-03-2003, 11:23 AM
Lee, what is going on with Newtek Pro? I haven't received a single issue since Novemeber of Last year, since I resubscribed? Nobody there will answer my emails...

Stranahan
04-03-2003, 11:42 AM
Good question...

More info is on NewTekPro's site, but here's a rundown...

I just took over as publisher. Discussion were ongoing for a couple of months, though, and as such the magazine was in limbo. There just wasn't much to say.

Now, the deal is basically done and so now we can make some firm announcements. And...ya know...we will. Right now, it's the day before I leave for NAB and start the new tour.

In about two weeks, I expect we'll have a full announcement and this will include a schedule for publication. I can tell you that the next issue is slated to be published to coincide with SIGGRAPH. And you'll like it.

I've had enough experience with things not getting shipped on time - for instance, the CDs / DVDs for the last tour. (Which, if you attended the last tour, are being replicated and are going to start shipping very soon.) I'm making it job one in my business life to get thing shipped on time - it's a pain for everyone involved (including me and my family) when things don't go out in time. That's why the goal here to announce a clear schedule for NewTekPro - and then deliver on that.

3danim8d
04-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Hi Lee,

So, if the next issue won't be out until July, will everyone subscribed still get all the issues we paid for, or are we going to be shorted on the Spring Issue, getting only 3 issues this year?

Are there any of those $50 NewTek bucks left over?

Thanks,

Jeff

Beamtracer
04-03-2003, 09:07 PM
It's funny. The leaders of two competing publications are throwing compliments at each other, praising each other's publication, and even providing links to the other's magazine website!

Shouldn't you both be at each other's throats? :)

dablan
04-03-2003, 09:17 PM
No.

Lee and I both come from a day when EVERYONE just loved LightWave. We loved creating things, teaching things, and learning more.

In those days, everyone got along and anything LightWave was just cool as hell. We both think that way still.

So, sorry to burst your bubble :)

Dan

JDaniel
04-03-2003, 09:23 PM
The more the merrier!:D

Stranahan
04-03-2003, 10:42 PM
Anyone who subscribed will be getting 4 issues of NewTekPro...and more. (And I'll leave you hanging on what 'and more' means.) I'm not going to rush issues to try and make up for lost time - I just can't do a good magazine that way. No worries, though - stay tuned and the announcement in a couple of weeks will explain what the plan is...

And what Dan said....

hrgiger
04-03-2003, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by dablan

Lee and I both come from a day when EVERYONE just loved LightWave. We loved creating things, teaching things, and learning more.
Dan

I sense a little bit of resentment in your statement Dan. I too have come to feel a little bit of this in the past year or so which is too bad because I've only been using LW for a little under two years now. I used to like 3D, but ever since I got Lightwave, I'm obsessed with it.
I guess I feel like there's been a lot of unnecessary negativity from a lot of users. Some of their concerns seem reasonable but I find that most don't. It seems like the 3D community as a whole has been pretty turbulent the last few years which I think is reflected from the economy as a whole , so I have to take issue with Newtek being to blame or anyone entity in general. I have to say that my experience as a Lightwae user has only improved since I made the awesome decision of spending money I didn't have on a program I've come to love so much.
I actually bought Lightwave off Ebay. I got it for $1500 when it sold for $2495. Now of course, you can get it for less that then retail but that's another story all together. I came to find out that I bought my copy of Lightwave off of David Warner who some of you may know from the letters page at Keyframe magazine. It was version 6 and it came with one of the desktop video series where you took us through the project of making the sting ray. I still have that rendering of the stingray I made sitting around my office here somewhere on a unmarked CD.
I just wanted to tell you Dan to fear not, there are still others who get just as excited about Lightwave as you do out here. The quality of your training materials is unsurpassed and so I look forward to your work at Keyframe Magazine. I can sense that your motivation is not driven so much by money or success as much as by personal passion which makes all the difference. It definately shows in your work. I wouldn't know half of what I know about LW if it wasn't for your involvement so mark me down as a big fan of yours. Good Luck at your new position and hopefully our paths will cross more in the future. Thanks again for everything.

3danim8d
04-04-2003, 01:20 AM
Hi Lee,

Alright, I guess I just have to be patient... but I want it now.... July.... ackkk... I can't wait to see what you do with NewTekPro. I really liked the changes that appeared at KeyFrame when you took that over, so I know NTP will get even better.

Dan already knows that I'm excited about his taking over the editor's duties at KeyFrame, now if I could just get a set of his new DVD courses to review for the next issue...

Best wishes to you both on your new adventures.

Jeff

trentonia
04-04-2003, 10:50 AM
I love the LightWave community. It truly is a community. Generally, everyone on the forums are so helpful and excited about this software. I don't see that with Maya or 3DS Max.

I have lunch once a week with a group of animator friends. We are a mix of LW, Maya, and 3DS Max users. I have found that the Maya and 3DS users seem to be pretty tight-lipped when asked questions about techniques, tips, etc. They feel like you should pay them for training. They don't want to give out their precious secrets for fear someone might get better than they are. Not only that, their software costs more. I prefer LW and it's community, or should I say family.

greg

Stranahan
04-04-2003, 11:00 AM
I've always hated it when people 'hoarde techniques' - it's silly, and frankly it hurts them because they are so busy hiding techniques, they don't grow. My brother Ken isn't a great LW artist because of his 'secrets' - he IS the secret. And on and on - there are a lot of people who do imitations of Taron or Ron Thornton's work....but only one Taron or Ron.

Let me anticipate a response...

But hey Lee, you hypocrite - you charge for training....

I make money doing training, but it's not the 'secrets' I'm charging for. I charge for the outlay of expenses I have and for my time. In other words, I really view what people are paying for is for me to not see my family for weeks at a time, and to replace $400 projector bulbs and so on...

mattclary
04-04-2003, 11:43 AM
Semper LightWavus!

trentonia
04-04-2003, 02:25 PM
To anyone who has not attended one of Lee's classes, I would recommend that you do so at your first opportunity. I went to the one in Kansas City last December. Lee presented so much information that I had a headache for 2 days afterward. It was well worth it. He reinforced how little I actually know about LW. He, I think, has some sort of an outline or structure for the seminars, but is more than willing to shift gears and move in different directions as needed. The class moves so fast that you should make a note to bring your inertial dampeners with extra batteries. He'll come in early and stay late to answer questions and help you work out problems. For the information and materials that you receive, this class is a tremendous value. Trust me, he could be charging double what he does. He presents the info with humor and has many interesting antecdotes about his career. It is a great way to spend two days. Thanks Lee.

Greg Trent

benhaines
04-08-2003, 01:43 PM
Good luck to the both of you! I really mean it... as many have said here, the LW community needs a good boost up the **** (english expression)!

I'll be in touch Lee ;)

Regards Ben