PDA

View Full Version : weird edges of uv texture

themaxx
08-29-2004, 10:40 PM
I''m very new to UV textures. Can anyone explain why I'm getting the red at the edges?

Silkrooster
08-30-2004, 12:52 AM
Try turning off Pixel blending and texture antialaising. See if that fixes it. Also what type of UV did you create - planar, spherical, cylinder, or atlas? I beleive it should be cylinder, but I am someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Silk

themaxx
08-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Try turning off Pixel blending and texture antialaising. See if that fixes it. Also what type of UV did you create - planar, spherical, cylinder, or atlas? I beleive it should be cylinder, but I am someone will correct me if I am wrong.
Silk

i used cylindrical to unwrap it, but does that matter? i thought that was just the method used to flatten the geometry for the map, but that it didn't matter beyond that.

i'll try disabling pixel blending and antialiasing when i get home. thanks for the input.

Rory_L
08-31-2004, 03:44 AM
You haven`t shown us the polys of the problem area. My guess is that you`ve mapped them and they`re sitting ontop of the star in UV space.

Then again, it could be due to the difference between the sub-div mesh and the low poly cage. Does it still look bad when you set subdivisions to 0?

R

themaxx
09-01-2004, 09:13 PM
setting subdiv to 0 fixes it, which is good to know, but obviously that's not an acceptable solution. any ideas how to proceed from here?

thanks again.

toonafish
09-03-2004, 04:45 AM
did you include the other polies of the same surface into the UV map ? If you didn't then that might cause the problem. Just unweld, select the rest of the polies, add them to your UV map and merge. I see you've set the width and height tile to reset, so you can just drag the other polies outside the UV grid.

themaxx
09-04-2004, 01:14 AM
thanks! that fixed it. is there a rational explanation for this, or is it just one of those quirks you learn to live with and work around?

thanks again.

Rory_L
09-04-2004, 11:04 PM
is there a rational explanation for this
You`d applied the texture to all the polys that had that surface, but you`d only explicitly instructed the UV mapped polys as to where they should be on the texture. The non-UV mapped ones had to display some part of the texture, but hadn`t been told which bit to show, so they got it wrong.

When you`re UV mapping sub-d objects you can get much better results by following Jack Daniel`s smart UV maps tutorial on the LW tutorials site.

If you can`t be bothered to go to all that trouble, you can freeze a copy of your object at sub div level one, UV map that, then copy these UV positions to the sub-div model`s UV map. This greatly improves the accuracy of the mapping.

Cheers,

R