PDA

View Full Version : clear hard plastic surface

j_j
08-28-2004, 03:39 AM
I'm working on some medical animation and I am not liking what my hard clear hard plastic is looking, like anybody have a good preset for such a thing?

erikals
08-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Yes, I would like to know too :)
What I found difficult was how the highlight of the lamp looks when it's reflected in the plastic surface. LW (and maybe other progs) creates a saturated "glory" ring around the highlight. Never though that looked good.
Glossy and reflective plastic works a bit better though I think. Maybe try a different light type?

SplineGod
08-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Can you post examples of what you feel is wrong with the renders?
Plastic can look different based on many factors.

j_j
08-29-2004, 12:24 PM
This is what I have so far. I think it is too dark but brightening things up causes the the highlights to be to strong.
http://jnorombaba.com/dl_files/plastic.jpg

mattclary
08-30-2004, 03:39 PM
j_j, you know you can have one light that affects diffuse and another that affects specularity, right?

j_j
08-30-2004, 04:07 PM
Oh crap, some how I always forget things that would make my life easier. I'll give that setup a try thanks Matt.

wacom
08-30-2004, 04:16 PM
Also try make'n it double sided and add a gradient to help give the edges that "compound" look. Try the color, diffuse, and or lumi channels with the gradient...

Here is my quick try...looks a bit more like celophane or plexi so it's not quite right...

Triple G
08-31-2004, 01:32 AM
One thing that might help when doing surfaces such as this is to use reflection cards. By that I mean white, luminous polygons with Unseen by Camera checked on and Unseen by Rays checked off. Size and position the cards as needed, then turn on raytrace reflections to cause the cards to be reflected on your surfaces (assuming they have some amount of reflectivity). Then, just play around with the reflection values of your surface as well as the luminosity value of the card(s). Since what you're seeing in the real world when you see a specular highlight is really just reflected light, this method is a bit more true-to-life and can often yield better (or at least more controllable) results than using specular lights.

Danner
08-31-2004, 01:36 AM
for real looking specular lighting you should use raytrace reflection and use bright objects as fake light souces besides your real lights, and keep the specular to a minimum, also playing around with gradients on the transparency and reflection channels can give you lots of control on the final look, of couse Fprime makes that really easy to do.

mattclary
08-31-2004, 05:38 AM
Cool tip, guys! I'll have to try that myself.

j_j
08-31-2004, 11:09 AM
This is great you guys ROCK!!
Thanks so much for the help.