PDA

View Full Version : Bug? JointMorphPlus reassigning morphs on its own?



Mipmap
08-27-2004, 10:05 PM
I just had a character open in its setup scene in Layout and in Modeler so I could make some morphs for facial expressions. I'd already done the JointMorphPlus stuff to set up all the corrective morphs on the bones. As it seems to be the case in LW8, after making a few new morphs I needed to clear the scene and reload it so I could have the new morphs visible.

After reloading the scene I noticed my model was really messed up looking on the frame where I had the bones all moved to the positions where the morphs would be at 100%. I checked all the JointMorphPlus things and it looks like when the scene reloaded, a they all appeared to have the wrong morph applied to them. A JointMorph for a arm bone now had the morph of a facial expression I'd just made rather than the morph for the arm joint. :confused:

SplineGod
08-29-2004, 01:32 AM
This is a known bug. :)

Greenlaw
11-09-2004, 12:59 PM
Hi,

Recently some of our guys tried to use JointMorph+ for cloth deformations and we ran into this same issue. Very frustrating. Another problem with JointMorph+ is that morphs would pop off suddenly when the specified angles were reached. We tried switching to the older Joint Morph plug-in, which did do gradual morphing correctly, but the final shapes did not look exactly like our targets.

In the end we wound up keyframing the 'joint-morphs' for all our shots using MorphMixer...a bit tedious, but it got the job done.

Hope JointMorph+ is fixed before out next character gig. On this last job we had a lot of characters and a tight schedule, so the plug-in would have been wonderful if we had gotten it to work.

Later,

D.R. Greenlaw

----------

D.R. Greenlaw
Senior Digital Artist
Rhythm & Hues - The Box
http://www.rhythm.com

SplineGod
11-09-2004, 01:18 PM
Hey Dennis,
Same problem here. What I did was to make sure that the angles were high enough that they wouldnt be reached. It would be nice if they didnt do it in the first place. The other problem we ran into was jointmorph plus losing their assignments. I think it had to do with the running LW and/or the scene files over the network.

Greenlaw
11-09-2004, 01:28 PM
Hi Larry,

Yeah, it was pretty annoying. JM+ seemed to work okay on when run locally, but in a later LW session or when another animator needed to access the scene over the network, the headaches began. I'm sure one of us would have come up with a good alternative solution eventually but we ran out of time and just did the effect through old-fashioned brute force.

Right now I'm looking into Polas' new SmartMorph plug-in. Looks very powerful for this sort of thing.

Later,

D.R. Greenlaw

---------

D.R. Greenlaw
Senior Digital Artist
Rhythm & Hues - The Box
www.rhythm.com