PDA

View Full Version : Anybody ever seen something like that?...

vojtek11
08-27-2004, 11:33 AM
I was wondering if there is a simple BMP/TGA image files sequence to RTV converter? I usually use Combustion (slow) or more lame: VT-Edit (full of bugs, usually crashes) or lamest (but fastest and most stable) - 3D Studio MAX to do that. But it's all very very not effective. I'm doing a lot of converting from BMP/TGA sequences into RTV. Is there a way to do that more efficient ?

Thanks in advance,
Vojtek

Jim_C
08-27-2004, 11:37 AM
VT-Edit is the fastest. No bugs or crashes here.
Or Aura which is included in the Toaster suite of software.
Convert them in no time.

Jim Capillo
08-27-2004, 11:44 AM
Same here...... :cool:

mgrusin
08-27-2004, 12:00 PM
Aura should work great for this. Set your project properties, import sequence, set output mode (RTV), export sequence, done.

-MG.

vojtek11
08-28-2004, 12:42 AM
I've been reinstalling VT[3] on both XP and 2000 on three different PCs. As long as I don't start GUI (which is the worst part) - everything works quite OK. GUI is the killer to all of my efforts. So I'm trying to find something that doesn't use VT[3] GUI at all. All of Your proposals require approx. the same amount of user effort to create RTV. Is there really no automation to do that? Is there a way to do one click and go make a coffee? I migh say - using 3dsmax is much simpler then Aura - if the sequence is the same (and usually in my case is the same), just click on a project and click "Render". That's it. And it's thousand times more stable than Aura and/or VT-edit

bradl
08-28-2004, 01:37 AM
Set your Default Still length to 1 frame and you can drop the 'folder' that contains all the TGA files and you don't need to convert.

Vidget software used to get you a context menu convert to RTV from any window, but it is no longer available AFAIK. Even if you had it, don't think it is compatible with being installed on the same computer as your VT3 system.

As far as GUI, you can run Aura by itself and it is really easy and quick to convert all manor of files to RTV. There are plug-ins for various other apps that can also convert to RTV- LW, DFX, Mirage, Combustion, Commotion, After Effects, 3ds Max.

UnCommonGrafx
08-28-2004, 11:16 AM
Vojtek,
Sounds like you have a problem on your system, in general, that is causing the conflicts you mention.

Having said that {Getting up on soapbox}, Vidget was the BEST tool I've ever seen for such a task. Why hasn't the code been culled and made into a sentinel rtv compiler for even the animator crowd?

I told Bob Tasa that there is a market for such a tool but he hasn't heard the bells like I have. Thus, we don't have it. Someone start a new thread about such a tool; or, you guys can help me put the push on Bob to provide such a tool. Or someone...

tmon
08-29-2004, 08:43 AM
Vidget could have been a nice little revenue generator as well as "viral" marketing tool!

radams
08-29-2004, 11:08 AM
Hi All,

First Vojtek, I would touch base with NT tech support about all of your GUI issues...this isn't how VT3 works for most of us...It may be a graphics card or driver that is hanging you out to dry...

As for creating rtv's from stills...

As several have stated there are several apps and ways to do this...even within TED...

Why are you wanting rtv's??? to edit or playback from VT?

Well you can directly input the stills into TED with the preferences set to 1 frame instead of 5 sec...

Another thing you can do is save off the sequence to its own folder...then go into VT file bin open th folder select all and render to...

But at this time there is no RMB or direct convert this folder or sequence into rtv's....

Cheers,

Ray

Jim_C
08-29-2004, 11:17 AM
You can drop the entire folder (I mean the folder itself, not individual stills, make sure duration is set in preferences as noted) onto the timeline, right click choose render and convert to flavor of choice.
Can't get much easier than that.

UnCommonGrafx
08-29-2004, 11:30 AM
Jim,
Have you (or anyone) ever timed how long it takes to have the timeline come back to life? Even better, has anyone timed the process of doing that and doing the same process in Aura or other program?

What I'm getting at is that that solution is ...questionably long as to how long it takes for the system to come back to useablilty. I thought it was a slick idea but in practice it is HORRIBLY slow.

Give me aura or anything else to get it done NOW.

Jim_C
08-29-2004, 11:52 AM
Hey Robert,

You mean after dropping a folder of stills?
Yes. Sometimes awhile.
sometimes a long while. :rolleyes:
So yea, know what you mean.
I have found it of course depends on file type of stills and amount of them.

It is nice that there are so many ways to do something we can tit tat over which is the best/fastest.

Jim

UnCommonGrafx
08-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Ya mon,
The NewTekian way!!

Now, if we can just convince Dr. Cross and crew that making LW, VTEdit, and any other app interoperable we'd have the next revolution on our hands.

Oh well, back to THE WAY IT IS.

vojtek11
08-30-2004, 03:24 PM
I need a RTV, because in desperation (after hundreds of GUI crashes on different machines with different resources), using SDK, I wrote few of a very small applications in Visual C++ to control VT[3] without the GUI. They work perfectly. To completely avoid getting in touch with GUI I need the fast conversion from BMP/TGA/PNG into RTV.

I thought that there is such tool. Since there isn't one, well - we have a long winter coming, maybe I'll sit and write my own. After all RTV creation is a part of Newtek's SDK.

Thanks all for help,
Vojtek

James Moore
09-02-2004, 01:24 PM
It is real simple to do using the filebin. Under view style, use name only (if you are concerned that the icon creation will slow you down) right click on the first file in the sequence and choose render/convert.

dhomas
09-04-2004, 11:59 AM
Aura VT in combination with my Slideshow Maker plugin works great. See link below for plugin info...