PDA

View Full Version : Modeling Question

ddho1981
08-27-2004, 06:54 AM
What is the best way to model an accurate landscape model? i'm having trouble creating a site for a building and keeping the ground smooth. It can't really be fudged because there are specific grade elevations that need to be correct for certain areas of the building. any thoughts?

sidewing
08-28-2004, 06:15 PM
In your case I might do the following:
Use grey value image or procedurals for the ground. Then make a top view render of the placement of the buildings (and with buildings). Use only white/black value. Go to your favorite image editing software and make everything except the buildings alpha (delete everything except buildings). Then go back to LW and deduct this image from your procedurals and texture displacements. The building area should be smooth as a baby...

ddho1981
08-28-2004, 07:35 PM
Thanks for your response--that would work except that at the front entrance the ground is about 4' below the finished floor of the top floor of the building and the back entrance is about 6' below that... not to mention some mechanical entrances on the side that are, again, not the same.

Fortunately, I've resolved this by modeling two halves of the site and simplifying the overal topography.... you can check out the images here:

http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=27527

SplineGod
08-28-2004, 10:16 PM
You might be able to scan a top map and create splines off the data. The same can be done by taking discreet measurements and converting the data to points and creating splines off those points and then patching.