PDA

View Full Version : 600' cable run into VT-3

abishiai
08-26-2004, 06:48 PM
We are looking at setting the VT[3] for recording a football game. Our VT[3] would be about 600' feet from the camera (Canon XL-1). Will we get too much signal loss on the cable between the camera and Toaster? Will the Toaster proc amp be able to bring the signal level up enough to be useable? Will we lose too much quality?

Thanks,

Kevin

Jim Capillo
08-26-2004, 07:28 PM
We are looking at setting the VT[3] for recording a football game. Our VT[3] would be about 600' feet from the camera (Canon XL-1). Will we get too much signal loss on the cable between the camera and Toaster? Will the Toaster proc amp be able to bring the signal level up enough to be useable? Will we lose too much quality?

Thanks,

Kevin

I doubt if it will work, if you're talking composite. I've gone 200' successfully, but you could start to see the signal degrade even at that length.

When we did football, we had one 328' multi-core on a CCU and one wireless camera on a Trango unit that worked great - as long as you had someone pointing the receive antenna directly at the camera location.

You may be able to rent one of those units......

SCS
08-26-2004, 07:32 PM
Judging from the '600' spec, I assume you are not running Firewire with repeaters (if so, you should have no signal loss)...

Given the choice, I would opt for going Y/C using 2 RG-59u cables instead of composite...

Lastly, I believe employing video d/as with gain controls near the camera and pump up the signal a would be better than amplifying an already degraded one at the VT.

abishiai
08-26-2004, 08:05 PM
Thanks for the replys...

Doesn't Y/C have greater signal loss than composite? We were planning to use composite, but don't have to.

I'm trying to avoid having A/C at the cameras incase of rain, but we could if we had to.

I appreciate any more ideas an thoughts you might have.

Cheer,

Kevin

jcupp
08-26-2004, 08:47 PM
If it were me I'd run composite using RG-6 and consider tilt compensation (high freq. boost). Take a look in a Markertek catalog for a VAC LDVB Mini Brick Driver. Around $130.

-Jeff
Digital Arts

bbeanan
08-26-2004, 09:44 PM
I have seen some units that say they can do a 1000' run down CAT5 network cable. Check Out:

http://www.hometech.com/video/videopwr.html

and what you might be able to do is get 2 units for Y/C S-Video

never used one but worth a try.

The other option would be fiber optic but that is very expensive.

Mediaworx
08-28-2004, 07:44 AM
Check out Svideo.com, they have some pretty cool solutions for long y/c cable runs including some cat5 adapters. I called their tech support and the fellow said they've been able to do over 1000' with virtually no loss of signal. I haven't tried it but it's worth a look see.

Mick Haensler
Mediaworx

jcupp
08-28-2004, 11:14 AM
While the cat5 adapters do work and the cable is cheap I would consider the fact that big rolls of ethernet cable won't last long being beat up by un-rolling them and rolling them up every week. Unless you can put the wiring in permanantly you are probably going to have problems down the road.

kleima
08-29-2004, 06:36 PM
Read the following post and you should have your answer for long cable runs:
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=27517

RandyM
08-30-2004, 02:18 PM
I have 3 Svideo runs at 300' using passive Baluns. No problem at all. Cat5e cable is used and is cheap. Even if Cat5e doesn't last long in your environment..... is sure is cheap to get another 1000' roll!

No signal loss or environmental noise is added and my runs are going over and on top of Merc lights, and transformers...

You'd need 2 units (1 on each end) $50 each unit

5280Digital
09-07-2004, 05:16 PM
A Better option but more expensive would be to use the Camplex system. This provides you a professional solution which will perserve the bandwidth of your video, but I believe is around $3500 per camera. Check them out at www.camplex.com

abishiai
09-07-2004, 05:56 PM
A Better option but more expensive would be to use the Camplex system. This provides you a professional solution which will perserve the bandwidth of your video, but I believe is around $3500 per camera. Check them out at www.camplex.com

We've been drooling about those, but right now our budget doesn't reach that far--gotta go cheap. :rolleyes:

Cheer,

Kevin