PDA

View Full Version : Dissolve taking FOREVER in LWV8

ekimsknird
08-25-2004, 10:24 AM
Having a major problem here with object dissolve. I have text doing a simple rotate, but then I need the text to spin real fast and when it stops spinning, you have a new piece of text. I attempted to do this with an object (cross) dissolve over 20 frames between the two objects. I was getting render times of 20-30 seconds per frame on the first object, but at the first frame of the dissolve the render time jumped to 2 hours. The second fram of the cross dissolve was 5.5 hours and the last one before I gave up was at 6 hours on pass 7 of 9.

What the hell? A dissolve is that render intensive???? I'm on a G5 running LWV8 with medium enhanced aliasing at 720x486. Is this normal? Also, I had the graph editor open and it was a corrupted mess when I came in the next morning and after I cancelled the render. Bug?

toby
08-26-2004, 11:30 AM
That does sound high.

Do you have ray-tracing on, and if so try lowering the ray-recursions to 4. Graph editor problems frequently happen on systems below OSX 10.3.3.

ekimsknird
08-26-2004, 11:41 AM
Hey Toby,

Thanks for responding. Yep, I (was) raytracing shadows & reflection, but I had Extra Ray Trace Optimization off. So the limit was unchanged from the default of 16. Also, Multithreading was on 4 Threads.

I guess I should complain to Newtek at this point....

ekimsknird
08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
Also,

I'm using OS X 10.3.5 with 2 Gigs of ram on a dual 2GHz G5. I also wound up completing the project in Invigorator for AE as a quick fix.

Mike

ekimsknird
08-26-2004, 11:45 AM
Sorry,

Another interesting point is that my machine was showing a permanent blue screen after I tried to restart. Poor sucker was hurting after attempting that render. I had to power down and reset the PRAM. This happened on more than one occasion with this issue.

UnCommonGrafx
08-26-2004, 12:11 PM
That sounds like a box melting.
Check that the temp in your box isn't going out the roof and that all your fans are working.

ekimsknird
08-26-2004, 04:23 PM
Yep,

No complaints otherwise, not even a little headache from the G5. Running like a champ...except when I try to do an envelope dissolve in Lightwave.

:confused:

Mike