PDA

View Full Version : Curious 'ridge' present in Layout but not Modeller

Mikeface
08-24-2004, 09:47 PM
I'm currently experiencing a strange render artifact that's visible in Layout but not Modeller. Unfortunately, it's also present in the renders and that sucks :(

I've attached pictures below, but basically freezing doesn't help and there are no unmerged points causing the ridge.

Anyone seen this before? I figure I can probably remove it by messing with the Subpatch weight, but that's gonna be tedious because I can't see if it's fixed the problem until I switch to Layout.

Anyway, thought I'd share. I'd appreciate comments and/or solutions!

Mikeface
08-24-2004, 09:47 PM
Layout image:

MrEntropy
08-24-2004, 11:38 PM
I saw something like this, it was an infinitely thin (2 point polygon) type of ridge. Try selecting the line in poly selection mode.

SplineGod
08-26-2004, 11:57 AM
You might have duplicate polys there or polys sharing an edge or unmerged edges.

toonafish
08-26-2004, 05:04 PM
You probably have some endomorphs in the object and the points in the middle are no longer merging in Layout.

I've had this problem several times and the solution I came up with is to copy the geometry to a new object, clear all morphs from the copy ( It's best to use Delete Map from D-Storm for this, it's much faster then going through all the vmaps one by one - http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/vmap.htm - ).

And finaly do an automatic merge points and use FI's_CopyMorph ( Check Flay ) to copy the morphs from the original back to the copy.

Mikeface
08-26-2004, 06:21 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions - I'll let you know what I can figure out...

Mikeface
08-28-2004, 06:05 PM
Toonafish's suggestion solved the problem nicely. I'd already checked for the presence of unmerged points, edges, etc. so I figured that it had something to do with the endomorphs. But, I didn't know what to do...

Thanks!

Mike :D