PDA

View Full Version : saving cg pages or projects

lefty
04-02-2003, 02:05 PM
Whenever I save cg pages or projects a folder is created in the file bin but the cg projects or pages are not in the folders, they are in the file bin as separate or individual projects, this makes for a rather lengthy list to scroll thru when navigating the cg file bin. What am I doing wrong?

creach
04-09-2003, 09:01 AM
The first few times I tried to save titles, it failed horribly. I don't even know what I did.

In ToasterCG, click "file", then "save project". The file requester box will open to prompt you for a filename and location. Type in a project name, and make sure you select the .cg extension from the drop-down filetype box. Then click okay (I think...I can't remember what the button says) and your project is saved.

ToasterCG will have made a project file called yourprojectname.cg, and a folder called yourprojectname.cg.pages, and inside that folder you should have individual pages: 1.png, 2.png, and so on. The project file and folder will both be inside the same folder.

I honestly can't remember if the .png format is selectable or not, but I know ToasterEdit will use pngs.

Is this the sequence of steps you've followed?

Dan

lefty
04-09-2003, 11:58 AM
I did that, and I get a file folder with the titile of the project with nothing in the folder. I also get a cg file with the same project name and it is seperate in the file bin from the file folder by the same name....so I need to open the cg file instead of opening the project folder because there is nothing in the project folder. Now, is that clear to everyone!? Basically it creates a project folder with nothing in it and a cg file (something in it) everytime I create a new cg project.

creach
04-09-2003, 02:05 PM
but, (and I feel like an idiot here) you haven't said if you have created any title pages before you save again.

Maybe I'm missing something in your explanation, and I apologize if that's the case.

If you create a project when you open ToasterCG (and before you made any title pages) then you'll get what you've just described. Are you first opening ToasterCG, then creating a new project, then making pages of graphics, and finally choosing "save project" before you exit CG? ToasterCG will not autosave the project for you. I wish it did, but...

Dan

lefty
04-09-2003, 03:00 PM
I'm creating a new project, then I create pages of titles, then I ckick on File and choose save project.....I name the project and I select the ".cg" for type and I click on the "save" button.....when I come back and look in the file requester I'll find a folder with the project name (empty, nothing in the folder), and further down the list in the file requester, I'll find a ".cg" file same name as the project with all of the pages I made with that particular project name. The cg pages are not mapping to the project folder VT2's creating in the file bin.

creach
04-09-2003, 04:23 PM
Okay, Lefty. Stay with me.

One thing that was *carefully* pointed out to me when I was having problems is to choose the "save project" button.

Everything you've described is proper, except for the final "save." If you do a "save project" instead, I'm sure you'll get the results you're expecting.

Dan

lefty
04-10-2003, 07:11 AM
Dan, first off, thank you for taking your time to respond to this frustrating issue.
The problem I'm finding with your suggestion is that after you choose "save project" from the file button, the next thing you get is a window called "file requester" and the only option is to just "save" whatever your working on, it seems that the choice to save a "project" or "page" is made one step before the final save.
If you will, give me your step by step method you use to effectively save cg pages or projects, then I can compare and experiment a bit.

Thanks again for your time !

creach
04-10-2003, 08:52 AM
and went and fired up our Toaster, pen and pad in hand. I must make a concious effort to NOT click thru quickly. Habits...

Start ToasterCG. Make a page (mine says "test"). Click "File" then "Save Project." File requester opens, I cruise to my desired location, type "test" into the requester, noting the visible extension is "*.cg" and click "save." That's it. It's saved.

But, just to be sure, I open the filebin, surf to where "it" should be, and I see: one file named "test.cg" and one folder named "test.cg.pages" with one file inside called "1.png."

dude.

If it's not happening the way I described, something is messed up. But, you've been trying to tell me that all along, right? ;)

Good luck
Dan

lefty
04-10-2003, 09:12 AM
That's the same as I do, but the folder with the title of my project is empty....the project file is in the file requester by itself....my setup must be screwed up somehow. For instance, if I create 25 projects name a,b,c,d, etc. I'll end up with 25 project folders named a,b,c,d, etc. with nothing in them AND I'll also have 25 cg files named a,b,c,d, etc. in the file requester that HAVE the content I created. Everytime I create a project I get two references of that project listed in the file requester, only one of them actually has the project....the project folder is always empty.
Pardon me if I'm beginning to sound like a broken record.

Rick Green
04-10-2003, 09:22 AM
I'm experiencing the exact same problem. I'm generating lots of empty project folders, and lots of separate cg files. What I would like is to have the cg files inside of the project folders. I also am saving my files as "save project". I think I'll try to manually put the cg files inside of the project folders.

lefty
04-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Rick, please post your results and conclusions of your toaste cg experiment.
Thanks!

SBowie
04-10-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by lefty
That's the same as I do, but the folder with the title of my project is empty.... I may be incorrect, but it seems to me that your problem is this:

If you view (any of) the results of saving a CG project from a CG file requester , you will find the File Type field at the bottom of the File Requester contains the entry "*.cg". This filters the list in the file window to only show project (.cg) files. If you want to see the (image) contents of a given project folder, click on the cycle switch at the end of that field and change it to "*.*"

Rick Green
04-10-2003, 10:35 AM
I tried to save the cg files within the folders, but when I opened the project folders, the cg files were already inside. So apparently it is some sort of a filtering / display issue. My boss is working on the Toaster right now. When he gets through, I'll check it out some more.

SBowie
04-10-2003, 03:56 PM
To keep this simple - when you Save a project file (say filename.cg), it saves as "filename.cg", along with a folder named 'filename' containing the images for each page.

The project file will not be in the "filename" folder, but one level up. This is the file you would re-load to work on the project again later. The .cg file can not be used directly in TEd.

The "filename" folder will contain the images only, which by default will be named "Page1.PNG", "Page2.PNG", etc.

lefty
04-11-2003, 07:26 AM
So it looks like there is NOT anything wrong with my set-up. That is exactly what I get, two seperate entries of the same cg project, one in a project folder and one as a lone .cg file, I assumed the folder would hold all of the project whether it's an image file, text file, or an .cg file. O.K. then I'll continue to procede as always, I use the VT2 primarily for live switching of board meetings etc.....haven't used the TED mod much at all.

Thanks everybody for your expertise and patience!!

sierra
05-09-2003, 09:20 AM
As long as you are touching upon my question, I'll ask it.

I made a scrolling text in CG (first thing I ever made so I'm sure I'm missing something). Saved it...got the same layout as everyone else described above.

In TEd I tried to load the scrolling but could only load the .png which of course was a single image and could not scroll. How do I get the movement into TEd? The CG crouton would not load into TEd storyboard or timeline from the file bin.

I realize this is probably so basic. To avoid total embarrassment, I again went through the manual which seems to assume you know how to get your effects up in TEd. I say this because it only tells you how to get your work onto the switcher.

Thanks as usual, Sierra

John Alfero
05-09-2003, 10:38 AM
Save your scroll as an RTV file.