PDA

View Full Version : lighter

dilaima
08-24-2004, 03:44 PM
here is another day work

marlo.steed
08-24-2004, 09:31 PM
Nice looking image. I really like the curvy look and the brushed metal look really makes it pop out. However, the flame needs work. It looks like it is an objects stuck on rather than a fame. Look for some reference images and I think you will find that flames from lighters are softer and more transparent, particularly around the edges (perhaps the fresnel surface feature would work). Also the square button clashes with the cool smooth look of your object. I would suggest redesigning this to be have more unity with the rest of the object. The composition and lighting of the image is great. A bit more work here would make turn this from a mediocre image to one that stands out. I will look forward to seeing the revised image.

veljko
08-25-2004, 02:19 AM
Hi-
looks cool, but i would agree with the comments from dilaima-
the button would look better if it was sticking out less. these fancy lighters allways have small subtile buttons-
as for the light you defenitly need to take a different aproach to it-
here is a simple flat plane polygone with a transparency map, a bit of a colour map, and glow-

maybe that would work?

hope this helps!

dilaima
08-25-2004, 02:47 AM
thanks again for the pushing comments, her is an attached image that will show the function of the button, and it's shape, think i'll stay with this design, but for the flame yes i'm with all ur comments , i already know that it's not true flame, but the prob is "fprime again" , u can't do volumetrics or glow, or post filter, or either edge opacity shader to simulate the flame in 3d shape, the only way to achieve the result of a true flame using fprime is a 2d clip map, wich i don't want , cause it will seem fake, any suggestion , correct me if i'm on wrong.

veljko
08-25-2004, 11:05 AM
i think my technique works well with f-prime, just dont add glow and you have it-
but i really dont see why you cant render out the lighter without the flame in fprime, render out just the flame outside fprime and just composite it in with photoshop or any other program you are comfortable with..
?

dilaima
08-26-2004, 03:29 PM
flame fixing.