PDA

View Full Version : Lifespan as a dissolve control

MrEntropy
08-24-2004, 03:09 PM
I was trying to setup a simple particle system of a smoke trail that would fade out as it aged. This all works well and dandy until I add variation to the Life Time attribute. Now, some particles will die before the base lifetime and some will die later, making for a nice random type of dissolve out. The problem is that I cannot ramp the dissolve based on each individual particle's life, only by age. If I ramp by age, some particles die before they fully dissolve out and they pop off. There seems to be no way to account for the random variation parameter in the grad I use to control Dissolve.

Is there a better way to do this or am I just stuck? I saw some threads about requesting %age as an input to the grad, but I need %life (after modification by the variation.) I even looked in the SDK thinking I could write something, but Life isn't caried around by the particles, just age. Does Lightwave not cary around lifespan information? Is that a global?

Mylenium
08-25-2004, 12:14 AM
Yepp, you're out of luck here. This is a shortcoming in LW's particle implementation. The only alternitive is using Napalm instead, which handles this correctly. Since it is an commercial plugin, it would burden your budget, though.

Mylenium