PDA

View Full Version : flare nominal distance problem

andromeda_girl
08-24-2004, 12:35 PM
I am having difficulties getting my flares to look right with distance to camera changes.

The 'nominal distance' is a difficult setting to wrap my head around.

my scene is like this:
i have an object which has multiple light sources behind translucent objects.
these light sources flash and blink, and alternately there are flares which flash on and off. i need this effect to look right at any camera distance (obviously) because the main object itself will always be in motion, and often enter frame from extreme distance, and pass close to camera.

presently, my camera is 70M from my flares, and test renders give me what i want.

when i move my camera further away, to (for example) 200M, the effect does not look right.

the nominal distance is confusing, as i figured that it looks right at 70M and so i should use that for the setting.

is there anyone who can provide some good advice on this?
i have 'fade with distance' ON, and have 'nominal distance' set to 70M.
the flares go as high as 100% and no higher.

Mylenium
08-25-2004, 12:10 AM
What are your other light settings? LW will also factor in falloff distances....

Mylenium

andromeda_girl
08-29-2004, 11:46 AM
What are your other light settings? LW will also factor in falloff distances....

Mylenium

hi and thanks for the reply.

My other light settings are like this:

5 lights are constantly on, without animation to their brightness. they are set to 200%.
these lights have flares also always on, their set to 150% Nominal distance is 70m.

there are 5 other lights which have animated brightness, they go on, then off alternating. their brightness is set to 200% max, 0% min.
and these lights also have flares which have matching animation, on and off alternating. these flares are set to 150% at their brightest point, zero their lowest.

I know it seems like a lot of lights going on, but if you saw the scene it would make a lot of sense.

andromeda_girl
08-29-2004, 02:20 PM
What I would really like is some kind of contrrol over it's fading down with camera distance.
At present, the setting 'fade with distance' fades it out far too quickly.

Perhaps an expression of some kind?