PDA

View Full Version : Portrait No. 4 1024X768

IZZE
08-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Here is another try at a portrait. I learn so much each time I try another person. Well I know that she's no Madona. But I would like to get some comments on the texturing, lighting etc. Let me know your first impressions. Then maybe some more detailed crits if you have the time. Thanks.

IZZE
08-24-2004, 08:59 AM
Wire

Trawler
08-24-2004, 11:59 AM
Very nice work. I like the model and textures.

But for some reason the eyes jump out at me as not being quite right. I think it may be the eyelashes. They seem painted-on compared to the rest of the image. And the top eye-lid seems too rounded. I don't know, it's hard to say. But the eyes do jump out as being something to work on.

Other than that, a really nice image. I like the hair too. How did you do the hair?

Starlost
08-24-2004, 12:43 PM
Very nice work you got there. I would say as far as improvements go you could try to add the very light faint hairs that are present on the neck area also just a touch of noise to the bump textureing on the skin it just seems too smooth even for a human, but you have the skin tone and discolorations perfect.

veljko
08-24-2004, 01:13 PM
the modeling and the texturing look cool to me- i must say a brave up colse head shot- i would make it much smaller to hide the mistakes:)
the lightening is on the other hand uninteresting, and makes the whole think look a bit dull- no specularity spots, no contrasts with shadows- i would work on that
im posting an actual photo to show you what i mean
(notice the dark-brigh-dark-bright play between the portrait and the background) I shot this without a studio enviroment, but lightwave is a studio:) so you can improve on the lightening, and it would be a shame to ignore that aspect of lw-

hope this helps a bit-

realy cool work!
:)

IZZE
08-24-2004, 02:45 PM
Great, Thank you for the comments.

Trawler: Yah, I agree. She started out as a Asain. But after all the texturing and lighting I had to lean towards caucasian. I never got back to re-doing the eyes, since my UV was done already. The hair is sasquatch. I would create one guide and test it in layout. Make a second and test it. Came out with about 60 splines. Some with different settings.

Starlost. Thanks

Veljko: Very good point. I agree completly. Thank you.

The feedback really helps.

etobiason
08-24-2004, 06:08 PM
The eyes jumped out to me, too, but I think I see why. Very small detail, but it may help. The lids have the same texture as the skin, even on the rim... makes the skin seem like a simple cloth that has slits cut into it for very real eyes to peek through. The rim of the eyelids should be differently colored, and wet. I think that would help a lot. The model is very well done I think. I learned something just looking at it!

-e

Hervť
08-26-2004, 11:23 PM
Is it U Velijko ? I mean on the Photo..... ah ah cool ! I finally got to see the people I am talking with..... :D

erroLux
08-27-2004, 03:14 AM
Great job!
Can not wait to be able to do it like that. :)

veljko
08-27-2004, 05:30 AM
:)noupe its not me- its a friend:)
this is me:)
playing with my digital camera while waiting for my friends for a game of good old basketball:)
not that im a sports freek- just like to shake my bones once in a while..:D
to comment on the image again- now when it was mentioned, the skin just around the eyeballs is pinker and wetter- more "flesh like" then "skin like"
hope this helps!

veljko
08-27-2004, 05:33 AM
Now, I expect to see a picter of you Herve :D

IZZE
08-27-2004, 11:03 AM
Right On Veljko. You are right about the area around the eyes. But whenever I rendered her out, she looked flushed. Ohmost up all night bender look. So I removed a lot of the red. I'm also learning more about the lighting setup. If that was better the skintone would look better.

We should start a post a pict of you thread. If it wont bog the server. Has this been done?

adrian
08-27-2004, 11:06 AM
I love her lips and freckles!!

Very good work.

Sorry, don't have a picture of me to show off right now...

Adrian.

badpineapple
08-28-2004, 02:46 PM
Are the eyes too far apart? Thatís a mistake you see a lot. Even a couple of millimeters can be the difference between your character being a young Asian girl or an elf. Love the lips, though!

Marcia
08-28-2004, 03:17 PM
What does she look like from the side? The eyes look a little big to me, but I think the main problem may be that she doesn't have enough brow. At least that's what I suspect.

Wow, your mesh is so clean. I'm working on my first person and it's way too dense. Nice work!

shaol
08-29-2004, 06:02 AM
Just like everone is saying it looks flat notenough depth work on lighting :)

IZZE
08-30-2004, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the continious input. LOL @ badpineapple

Marcia: I tried a side shot during my lunch break, but I think I would like to tweek a few things then try again. Mostly the lighting. I'll post as soon as i can.

LWnexgen
08-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Looks really good, the eyes do look a little weird, and something's not quite right with the lips. Great textures, though!

IZZE
09-01-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks LWnexgen. Hope these look better re: the eyes.

etobiason. If you come back to this thread. What did you learn by just looking at it. Good or bad?

Here are some updates. I should have posted in WIP gallery. You people brought up such good points I had to go back and work on it some more. Maybe Iíll get moved to WIP. I changed the lighting. And had to add UVís and texture maps for the ears and neck. Iím still working on the textures for the ears a bit. And now that I put together a profile shot I see more tweeks to do. I think the eyes look better now. I tired to define the Eyelid ridge a bit. Does it need more spec? Does it ever end? How does The Ripper do it?