PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly or Amleto?

pixym
08-24-2004, 06:59 AM
Hi All,

Wich is the best for some dual processors 2Gb ram rendering server management?

I use to render with 8 thread in LW.

Please give me your testimonials if you have already tryed them both.

Thank in advance.

trick
08-24-2004, 07:50 AM
I never tried them, but I'm really satisfied with TequilaScream (http://www.digitaltoons.tv)...don't fix it when it ain't broke:)

pixym
08-24-2004, 07:52 AM
Thank Trick

Johnnyx
08-27-2004, 08:27 AM
I have used both on a small network (single processor machines)... Amleto was fine, but I found Butterfly to be more flexible - for instance rendering and saving RPF pixel filters (depth files) as far as I know Amleto doesn't support this feature.. I have been running with Butterfly now for over 5 months.. with no problems - great software.

pixym
08-27-2004, 08:29 AM
Thanks a lot Johnnyx

Panikos
08-27-2004, 11:04 PM
I've been using BNR since 0.9.
Development and Support was non-stop, and progress was unpretictable.
I could never guess the new features. Literally BNR covers so many aspects and needs of SN rendering.
:rolleyes:

mindseye
08-28-2004, 10:31 AM
I've been using Almeto for a bit now. I love it. It sets itself up (no kidding)
super easy install. It does a great job of splitting a single image for rendering on multiple computers. Give it a whirl.

Happy rendering!
curtis

pixym
08-28-2004, 10:33 AM
Thanks all

thomey
08-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Is the support of RPF (or RLA) unique to Butterfly or is it supported by others as well?

Thorsten

Johnnyx
08-30-2004, 03:11 AM
..RLA is supported by most Network software, as the format is included in LW as an image "saver" - for instance if you "F9" to render an image, you can then save that image as an .RLA from the drop down save menu. You can't save RPF files like this - RPF has to be added as an Image Filter in the "Effects" dialogue box, by-passing if you like the "save" options.

So, if you want/need to network render RPF (superior format IMHO to RLA) you will need Butterfly....

hairy_llama
08-30-2004, 11:55 AM
I've been using BNR with a small farm (eight p4 computers) for the past 8 months and love it. It is extremely easy to install (a few minutes) and has loads of features. One thing I like about it is the feature to render a single frame across all render nodes. It splits the frame up into small segments, renders and then "glues" it back together. I've tried other render controllers and they where a total pain to setup.

JML
08-31-2004, 07:34 AM
we are using tequila scream here
I love it

beverins
09-17-2004, 03:51 PM
I tried Tequilascream here at Long Island University, and while it worked well, I found ButterflyNet to be outstanding. I could deliberately stop and start nodes, turn machines on and off, have different people log in and out to their individual accounts, and everything worked 95% seamlessly.

I noticed that the version I have (I dont have the very latest one) seemed to have some issue with my network, in a mixed Windows 2000 server, Windows 2000 Professional and Windows XP Professional network (though it shouldn't in theory matter), where the XP machines' nodes would often just die after rendering for about 24 hours. The only way to get the nodes back up on the XP Machines would be to turn them off and on again (I thought it was a problem with the machines, but they're all different, the only thing in common is they are running XP SP1).

When running on Windows 2000, at any rate, Butterfly is fast and smooth. Very fault tolerant, and very dynamic in its ability to stop and start nodes, reassign them and the like.

I think Newtek should buy Butterfly from these people and use this as their default network renderer. IN my experience, Butterfly really is the best of the ones I've tried, and I have tried them all.

Lightwolf
09-17-2004, 04:34 PM
A bit off topic, but ...

I've been using Spider (heck, I even paid for our initial license) for the past couple of years, currently on out 5 dual box farm, and 5 workstation (basically everything excluding the servers ;) ).
I found it to be very reliable, and you can even render in the background while working (if you can live with the memory being used).

Good stuff :cool:

Cheers,
Mike

papou
09-17-2004, 06:31 PM
I'm using Tequila here on 12 pcs. I like it but i'm thinking to move to BNR coz Tequila need improvement and the dev is too slow.
I tryed Spider with no success, but a new version is out and i will try another time.
a++
Tais

jjburton
10-09-2004, 10:48 PM
Lightwolf,

I was never able to get spider running properly. Do you know and good sources or tutorials on it?

Lightwolf
10-10-2004, 05:04 AM
Lightwolf,

I was never able to get spider running properly. Do you know and good sources or tutorials on it?
No, not really. I found the included documentation to be sufficient for my needs.
What problems do you have? Have you tried asking on the Spider ML?

Cheers,
Mike

jjburton
10-10-2004, 01:55 PM
What's the Spider ML?

Thanks for the quick reply:)

Jalle
10-10-2004, 03:00 PM
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SXSpider/

/Jalle

jjburton
10-14-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks again. I found some good info. I'm getting ready to have to set up my renderfarm at home to render my senior thesis because my school isn't a big fan of LW. Oh well...