PDA

View Full Version : "Truly sticky" Sticky Front Projection?

Triple G
08-23-2004, 11:50 PM
I've been trying to figure out a way to do the following, and short of painting in the frames by hand, I've been coming up empty.

What I want to do is similar to this: Say you have an image of a landscape, with some pronounced hills. I want to fly an object into the scene and have it cast realistic shadows. Ok, no problem...front projection mapping, throw some shadow-catching geometry in...that much works fine. However...here comes the catch that's got me puzzled: Say I need to have one of those hills deform....like maybe a giant boulder comes flying along and makes a huge dent in the side of one of them. I can't seem to figure out how to get the texture to stick on the deformed geometry. Sticky front projection only stays sticky if you move the camera...if you move or deform the object at all, the texture just slides right through it (or rather the object slides through the texture). I thought maybe surface baker would work, but no luck there...it just output a black frame.

Anyone have any ideas how I could make something like this work?

Silkrooster
08-24-2004, 12:08 AM
The only thing that I can think of at the moment is to use Planar UV's. Those texture should not move unless you alter the UV it self.
Silk

Triple G
08-24-2004, 12:52 AM
Hmm...yeah, I thought about that. Not sure how well that would work though, since I'd have to find a way to flatten out the background image (i.e. remove perspective/lens distortion) so that it would apply properly. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I'll have to give it some more thought...hopefully I'll be able to come up with something.

Triple G
08-24-2004, 01:52 AM
Ok....found the solution thanks to some of the guys over on CGtalk. Seems I had the right idea with the surface baker solution, just my implementation of it was not quite right. The black frame that it output initially was due to my surface settings being 100% luminosity and 0% diffuse, with "Bake Diffuse" turned on in the SB panel. Turning that off and baking only the color to the UV map solved the problem, and now everything's working perfectly. Simple, now that I think about it...it's times like this when you can't believe that you've banged your head against a wall all day just to finally realize how simple the solution really is. Oh well...live and learn!

Anyway...just thought someone might like to know if they ever run into a situation like this. :)