PDA

View Full Version : Salvaged - my Siggraph pics

pixeltek
08-23-2004, 08:55 PM
Well, it was time for the annual pilgrimage again.

I nearly did not have anything to show, but after an image recovery process managed to get my small, but hopefully interesting, crop of shots salvaged and formatted for your enjoyment.

Check them all, there are a couple of neat morsels in there you might have a blast with.

Cheers,

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/Sig2004.htm

WilliamVaughan
08-23-2004, 09:28 PM
Great pix....thanx for sharing! The show was great....great to see you there and thanx for the support

hrgiger
08-23-2004, 11:51 PM
other then the LW artists are weeping because of Modo comment...

pixeltek
08-24-2004, 08:36 AM
My pleasure, William. It was indeed a wonderful show, and I was delighted not just by the feeling of warmth and cohesiveness at the NT booth, but thrilled by the excellent presentations and presenters' efforts. Not to forget, the usual "behind the scene" demo team included a new young NT employee from Austria (we got to chat a little in German), but also a representative from DAZ, most fitting, because of "the girl", the sweet LW creation by Kim Gossen (prominently features on the front of the booth). Also, if you go to DAZ, http://www.daz3d.com/ you can download a new demo of a posing sw they are beta testing right now.

For those who have not seen the original articles, artist's comments, and meshes of The Girl, the are here: http://www.cgchannel.com/forum/viewthread?thread=1629
and here:
http://www.cgchannel.com/forum/viewthread?thread=1629&offset=29

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com/

pixeltek
08-24-2004, 08:49 AM
Indeed, hrgiger. We remain red-eyed and perplexed when companies seem to forget whom they are here to serve to begin with, and what defines them. It is a sad distractor from what would have been a nearly flawless success. But we lamented this thing to death, apparently to no avail. A magnanimous top level gesture is needed (and maybe a handshake and some drinks), to start a conciliatory process that would benefit all.

Magnanimous - 1: showing and suggesting a lofty and courageous spirit; 2: showing or suggesting nobility of feeling and generosity of mind. :FORGIVING <even his enemies considered him ~>

Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary

Karl

WilliamVaughan
08-24-2004, 09:10 AM
"We remain red-eyed and perplexed when companies seem to forget whom they are here to serve to begin with, and what defines them. "

NewTek has always been about the user at any cost....you might be surprised at how much NewTek and it's employees do for the end user....I know my wife could say alot about this :)

pixeltek
08-24-2004, 09:45 AM
Dont' get me wrong William. I like LW immensely and probably won't ever know enough of the current version to know 80% of what it can do. As Dick Van Dyke had put it, " I probably won't live long enough to know all there is to know about LW8". I fully concur.

I also know what the NT employees, not by any means least of all you, are doing for the users. I totally appreciate your efforts, talent, warmth and consideration. You have my deepest thanks.

I also advertise to newcomers and students the tight, supportive and outspoken community. But this particular issue, and we have lengthily debated it and need to do that no more, is one that hurts all involved. It is however, an issue not so much for the present, because LW is looking pretty good there, but for the future. Also, please note, I spoke in plural, since I do not know enough to lay blame firmly at either one company's door. My apologies if this came out wrong.

Just like with the stockmarket, nothing is worse than uncertainty. I do know more, but will say no more on this subject. I remain, faithfully and foolishly optimistic, hoping for reason to triumph and for the best for us all.

Karl

pixeltek
08-24-2004, 09:33 PM
Just received 3D World Issue 56 in the mail and for those who are still looking to get a copy of LW8, you can enter in their contest and try your luck to win it there.

Me, since I already own LW8, am just waiting in the wings to get my hands on Doom 3 in a few months.

js33
08-24-2004, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by pixeltek
Me, since I already own LW8, am just waiting in the wings to get my hands on Doom 3 in a few months.

Doom 3 is already out. I've had my copy for a couple of weeks.
But it takes a pretty good machine and video card to run it well though. :(

Cheers,
JS

colkai
08-25-2004, 04:33 AM
Originally posted by hrgiger
other then the LW artists are weeping because of Modo comment...

Huh??? :confused:

Karmacop
08-25-2004, 07:17 AM
The worst thing Newtek can do is ingore modo and act as if it doesn't exist.

colkai
08-25-2004, 08:21 AM
I don't think they have any choice on that point.
Lets face it, their forums are full of it, whether they like it or not, so I'm pretty sure they can't ignore it ;)

pixeltek
08-25-2004, 08:24 AM
I know, JS, thanks. I'll get mine after I play Max Payne 2 and the Jedi Academy. By then there'll be inexpensive/used copies of Doom around. These days I buy my games late and cheap. I do use an ATI 9800 Pro, and it will handle most anything out there right now and in the next year or more.

Cheers

Karl

pixeltek
08-25-2004, 08:59 AM
Agreed on the "can't ignore" (or rather shouldn't). Not just in the fora, but also on the show floor it was pretty much mentioned or discussed across the board. While William unfortunately took my report and comments somewhat out of context and as directed against him and the rest of the hard working crew, the discussions never include them. They are in a fix themselves and we know it. Besides, Brad, for one, insisted in front of a group of gathered listeners that the working level remains friends and friendly, and having met many of them over the years, I tend to believe him on that score.

Karl

whattawa
09-21-2004, 03:10 PM
a representative from DAZ, most fitting, because of "the girl", the sweet LW creation by Kim Gossen (prominently features on the front of the booth). Also, if you go to DAZ, http://www.daz3d.com/ you can download a new demo of a posing sw they are beta testing right now.

For those who have not seen the original articles, artist's comments, and meshes of The Girl, the are here: http://www.cgchannel.com/forum/viewthread?thread=1629
and here:
http://www.cgchannel.com/forum/viewthread?thread=1629&offset=29

Karl

I was one of those DAZ guys there. I loved being there, and it was great to meet you! Thanks for the links about the Girl. She's a great model.

pixeltek
09-21-2004, 07:26 PM
Yes Josh. I remember you and it was a pleasure meeting you as well. Kim Goossen's awesome character certainly propelled him to renewed prominence. The Girl was also a cover feature on 3D World Magazine #44, accompanied by an extensive illustrated 3-page artist's profile article. The power, popularity, and income potential of unique characters, particularly if they are sexy and female, seems undeniable. Go for it guys and gals. She was after all done in LW. :D

Karl

Panikos
09-21-2004, 09:39 PM
NewTek has always been about the user at any cost....you might be surprised at how much NewTek and it's employees do for the end user....

I have the right to doubt that (ask Chuck Baker)

:(

Exper
09-22-2004, 04:40 AM

:(Not so bad... they're simply deaf when they don't want listen or speak! :D

pixeltek
09-22-2004, 08:22 AM
Actually, I must say, as much as I like that busy crew, of late I do have my doubts about that as well. I have been struggling with a LW 8 problem. I had installed it on a new HD, replaced my WIN 2000 with the latest upgrades and downloads, run Direct X 9c, yet it works flawless only on the first day. After that LW intermittently decides which files Modeler opens and which it crashes on. I got a few replies to my request for help and then a long silence. Apparently the debug and problem report that is being created when LW crashes, is not used or usable, so they said that they cannot do much. I've sent files that crash and don't crash, for comparison, but have yet to get a useful reply from inside NT. At this point working with LW is becoming a real pain, unless I chose to install it fresh each day. :confused:

Karl

whattawa
09-22-2004, 09:13 AM
That's not so unreasonable to ask you to reinstall every day. ;)

Actually, sounds like something is conflicting somewhere...Have you tried disabling various hardware one at a time to see if there is a driver conflict?

Chuck
09-22-2004, 10:24 AM

I know that you are disappointed that after doing something we have never done before, releasing an update (free) to the previous ordinal version after a new (paid) ordinal version has been issued, that we have stated that further releases in the 7.5 series are not planned. If this makes you doubt our commitment to the customer - we're saddened. We thought the 7.5D release illustrated our very strong commitment to the user. Arguably releasing a free update to an older version when we have a paid upgrade on offer is against our best interests, but we had made a promise, and we kept it.

whattawa
09-22-2004, 10:33 AM
Yes, I thought that was a little against your best interests to update a previous version for free with 8 selling. Of course, I loved it as a user. :)

pixeltek
09-22-2004, 10:49 AM
Josh, it may be a coincidence, but I was just contacted by NT to stand by for some possible suggestions to solve my problem. I just reinstalled LW again to continue a playing with the bicycle layout. Interestingly, Layout never crashes and picks up the same files, that Modeler can't, without any problems ever. Again this morning, Modeler immediately crashed, this time on a file it just created on Sunday, but following uninstall, registry cleanup, and reinstallation, it opens the file once more flawlessly - until I shut down and continue in a few days (I know, :rolleyes: "don't shut the computer down!!")

SW or HW driver conflict is possible, although I did not change anything since 7.5 except for the HD, and that seems too benign to cause this. As far as SW goes, all is the same as before. It's a mystery to me, and I will stand by to see what NT has to say later today. They're hinting that it might be a config file.

Later,

Karl

whattawa
09-22-2004, 11:06 AM
It does sound like a config issue if it runs correctly once...Hope they can help you. It would be strange if you were the only one getting the problems, though, if it is a config issue!

Have you tried saving the configs in a unique location instead of letting LW throw them where they usually put them?

Anyway, hope they can help you out. I'll be interested to see what the fix is in case I ever run into this problem. :)

pixeltek
09-22-2004, 11:17 AM
Yes, I will certainly post what they come up with, should it solve my problem. If it happens to me, it might just happen to others as well.

Karl
http://www.cosmic-pearl.com

Elmar Moelzer
09-22-2004, 03:12 PM
Hey Karl!
I remember talking to you at Siggraph (I am the Austrian guy).
This file- corruption- thing is really weird. Have you tried checking your RAM?
Use this tool, it is free:
http://www.docmemory.com/page/products/doc/docinfo.asp

Broken RAM is pretty common (about 40% of the Ram I have ever bought was broken).
See if it finds something. Maybe it helps.
CU
Elmar

Panikos
09-22-2004, 07:17 PM
I know that you are disappointed that after doing something we have never done before, releasing an update (free) to the previous ordinal version after a new (paid) ordinal version has been issued, that we have stated that further releases in the 7.5 series are not planned. If this makes you doubt our commitment to the customer - we're saddened. We thought the 7.5D release illustrated our very strong commitment to the user. Arguably releasing a free update to an older version when we have a paid upgrade on offer is against our best interests, but we had made a promise, and we kept it.

Chuck, with all the respect ...
LW75c was not suitable for release, but again I am not the one that is taking decisions. LW75d came to fix some but ****ed up some other parts of the software.
I dont have to use the latest version of the software, I can easily downgrade.
(I wonder if you are familiar with the case, that you have a project based on software, and software doesnt cooperate ??? - Not to mention that I lost an afternoon of modeling, cause LW75c Save-All-Objects save corrupted files)

[portions removed by the moderators]

DM67
09-23-2004, 08:19 AM
We thought the 7.5D release illustrated our very strong commitment to the user. Arguably releasing a free update to an older version when we have a paid upgrade on offer is against our best interests, but we had made a promise, and we kept it.

I believe that this promise should be maintained ..... the users waited for it for 1 year.
Without to misunderstand Chuck we all be aware of the large work of NT however if now receives much post with strong comments is because the LW-Community waits for much time.... you see the Mac-user but not only and now claim a lot.
However I ever renounce to LW and I hope that my faithfulness comes repaid.

All the best
Tony

pixeltek
09-23-2004, 07:56 PM
The NT developement team and support people came through. I was sent a set of .cfg files that seemed to have fixed the problem. Here is what I discovered:

Each time I uninstalled LW8, following another Modeler crash (Layout never did crash, btw.) I cleaned the register as well. What I forgot to do was to delete the .cfg files! I was reminded of those files when I received the new .cfg files. Duh! I quickly did a search and found four different sets of them, with different dates, throughout my Documents and Settings folders. Madness :mad: I tell you! Like cats in heat, they proliferated unchecked, apparently. However, once I deleted all of them, plugged the .cfg files they sent me into the proper place (Administrator), everything went fine and Modeler under LW8 and LW 8.01 appears to be working flawlessly once again. All files that would reliably crash Modeler previously opened without a hitch.

Way cool :cool:

Karl

pixeltek
09-23-2004, 08:10 PM
Hey Elmar

Vielen Dank. Sag mal was is denn mit dem Totenkopf? :eek: Did you make that one? Er sieht wirklich gut aus.

BTW, I downloaded that mem test utility, but it won't quite work. I had no keyboard control, once I was in it. Maybe because my keyboard is USB. No big problem though, as you can see in the previous message, the config files appeared to have been the problem here.

Bis zum nächsten Mal dann, alles Gute,

Karl

pixeltek
09-23-2004, 08:22 PM
whattawa!

I should have read your post a little more carefully, right?

You hit the nail on the head with your config file suspicion.

Thanks,

Karl

Elmar Moelzer
09-24-2004, 06:04 AM
Hey Karl!
Den Kopf habe ich aus CT daten mit unserem eigenen Volumerenderer gemacht...
Ist ein LW- plugin :-)
CU
Elmar

mattclary
09-24-2004, 07:00 AM
LW75d came to fix some but ****ed up some other parts of the software.

So, basically, you want them to keep working on 7.x code until it's perfect? Got news for you, there is no such thing as bug free software.

If you had upgraded to 8, you would have had the save incremental feature. Simply hitting Shift-S would have created a new version of your model. You would not have lost an entire afternoon of modelling.

Panikos
09-24-2004, 07:14 AM
Yes, I absolutely agree that there is no perfect software.

However, having some principle function misfunctioning makes the software useless.
Aparently I will upgrade to LW8.0, when I decide or when my financial condition allows so.

My intentions were positive.
Anyway, I consider this topic as over.

pixeltek
09-24-2004, 08:20 AM
Elmar

Ja das sieht wirklich grausam aus. Ganz toll, eigentlich. Wie heisst denn der plugin genau? Hast Du ein link? Ich möchte mal darüber lesen.

Karl

Matt
09-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Good photos Pixeltek, the comments are very well articulated too!

pixeltek
09-24-2004, 10:04 PM
Thanks Matt.

The picture "aftermath" is part of my annual Siggraph experience. My pleasure, and my attempt to share some of that with the rest of the LW community.

Karl