PDA

View Full Version : Server based render farm

twister47
08-23-2004, 06:00 PM
Hey guys, just been thinking recently about what the most effective way to cut down on some render times is.

I know render farms work well, I've had a couple of computers I've hooked up at home and it helped a lot.

But I'm moving away so I wont have access to those any longer. So here is my question.

What is the most inexpensive way to build a render farm? I know you could just custom build a ton of computers but I dont really have a use for them except for rendering. So some top end computers would just sit idly by when I wasnt rendering.

I did a search on this forum and found one thread where someone posted a link to this company...
http://www.boxxtech.com/asp/1selectconfig.asp

A few questions about these. If I could just buy a couple of these nodes, that'd be great, since I dont need the functionality of a full computer for each node. But how can those be almost 2 grand? You couldnt you get a couple of processers, a motherboard, some ram, and a hard drive for a lot less?

Anyone know of a good solution to this mess? If I could, I'd love to build my own render nodes like this.

Thanks guys!
Nate