PDA

View Full Version : Interactive LCD/LED numeral texture?

Calamari
08-23-2004, 05:51 PM
I have been looking for a while now for an interactive numeric LCD/LED procedural texture.

I want to be able to have a surface display a definable number of characters and the numerals displayed within to be defined via an envelope or expression..

I've tried FI_Digits, but it requires an image file (Pixmap format) and has no documentation on how to format it and I can't seem to get anywhere with it...

Anyone have any suggestions for a plugin or has any experience with FI_Digits I could really use the help.

Calamari

UnCommonGrafx
08-23-2004, 06:49 PM
http://www.shaders.org/ifw_textures/

There are a few offerings here.
http://www.shaders.org/ifw_textures/ifwcounter.htm
http://www.shaders.org/ifw_textures/ifwcounter2.htm

Powerful set of textures here.

Calamari
08-23-2004, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the thought Robert...

I own the IFW series and have used thier LCD texture. That experience pretty much has convinced me I'm never using their textures again.

They all look good in the promo materials and demos, but to actually try to get them to do something or look like you want is an all day affair, their complete lack of any useful documentation or examples scenes/objects pretty much made them almost impossible to use.

Just for the hell of it I just tried to find the textures and couldn't even find anything remotely called counter or counter 2 in my IFW2 textures install, maybe it's only available in IFW1 textures, but there's no way I'm going to try to use something OLDER from them!

Sorry for the rant, but these guys ticked me off when I bought their package to save me a bunch of time on my last project but instead cost me a whole ton of time..

:mad:

UnCommonGrafx
08-23-2004, 07:17 PM
Hmm,
Haven't had anywhere near such a bad time with Richard and his products.

Did you try to get any help at that time, like, from the mailing list? Seems a waste that you have the tool you say you need yet you would rather shoot yourself in the foot. :)

And I just went in to find the IFW2_Display - Counter Shader and found it. And it will do everything you've said you wanted to do.

I'm an emotional package, too, so understand your angst. But in this case, at least, you have someone to help you through it. :shrug:

I would simply suggest that you make use of the tool you have; hold a grudge on the rest of the package until you need otherwise. :D Then, give in. :D

Dodgy
08-24-2004, 04:11 AM
I have to say I've got nothing bad to say about them apart from the fact the shaders don't work with Fprime yet. The only thing I've found complicated to use is the mixing functions and even then only because I haven't used that part that much. For the price you get so much, the Diffuse and dirt textures are really useful just on their own.

shadersrjj
08-27-2004, 05:44 AM
I'm sorry, but you haven't contacted me and asked for help. You haven't contacted the texture mailing list and asked for help. You say there are no examples, there are over 1500 preset textures! There are also example scenes. There is also a manual that explains all aspects of the package. There are also 15 tutorials on the web site and included in the manual. There is even one on using the counter/LED textures. What else could I do sacrifice my first-born?

RJJ

Lightwolf
08-27-2004, 06:04 AM
What else could I do sacrifice my first-born?

Lol, that cracked me up, I don't know why though :confused: :)

Cheers and keep the faith,
Mike

UnCommonGrafx
08-27-2004, 06:22 AM
Now now, Richard.

Chuckling...

I was hoping you'd make it by. You've given great support; unsure where this user has been to not get some of it. Perhaps he's still using all the individual shaders from version 1; I found that maddening with so many plugs. The present situation works well.

Besides... I thought the EULA said WE had to give up the first born for support! chuckle