PDA

View Full Version : What's the best way to make reliefs and engravements?

aniboy2000
08-23-2004, 09:13 AM
I'm modelling a bronze and a marble memorial plaque.
The bronze plaque surface is rough and dark, and I want to put on smooth, light embossed text with a bas-relief of a face.
On the marble plaque, which is whitish, I want to make a black engraving of similar text, and maybe an engravement of the shape of the same face.
What's the best way to do the embossing, relief, and engraving? The plaque is the focus of the image, so bump maps don't seem to look realistic enough. Displacement maps would be hell because I'd probably need a good 50,000 polygons on the front surface to make the text look decent.
Also, what's the best way to separate the reflective/diffuse/bump/color properties of the plaque surface from the embellisments?

I'm using LW 7.5, in case it matters.

mattclary
08-23-2004, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by aniboy2000
What's the best way to do the embossing, relief, and engraving?

3 Choices:
Solid Drill > Stencil, Boolean, or create the letters seperate from the plaque and let them stand above the surface of the plaque.

Also, what's the best way to separate the reflective/diffuse/bump/color properties of the plaque surface from the embellisments?

Use a different surface.

KeithJ
08-23-2004, 09:45 AM
If your doing it the way matt suggests I'd also add that its worth using the 'rounder' plugin where the letters join the plaque so you get those important highlights and natural look.

Keith

Dave Davies
08-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Boolean Add and Subtract

Dave

aniboy2000
08-23-2004, 12:56 PM
The problem that I have is that I'm dealing with Russian (Cyrillic) text, which is enough of a nightmare to deal with in Photoshop, and is very unlikely to work at all in Lightwave. Also, this in no way solves the problem of putting on the bas-relief of a face, and getting it to look a similar style to the text. Any other ideas?

(Blank bronze plaque attached)

KeithJ
08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
why dont you show us the text and face you want to use for this then maybe we can come up with more solutions.

Keith

mattclary
08-23-2004, 01:54 PM
Aniboy, Cyrillic fonts are very similar to English fonts, for the most part. From a modeling perspective, they should be no harder to deal with.

You just need to find some Cyrillic true type fonts and type what you want in LightWave, no biggie (in theory). I think Windows has them by default, you may need to install multi-lingual support...

Isn't bas-relief raised text? If so, type your text in LightWave, extrude the letters, then move them so they are partially embedded in your plaque surface.

Depending on how close the camera will be, you probably will want to bevel the top of the letter a little. If you want EXTREME detail, there should be a slight bevel where the letter meets plaque surface, but personally, I would skip that unless absolutley necessary.

If you want the bevel at the joint like that, I would position the text as I stated, then perform a Stencil. This will stencil the letters on the plaque. Now take the newly stenciled letters (select only those polys) and bevel them up and in a little (say a millimeter), then bevel up with no inset, then bevel up and in again.