PDA

View Full Version : shooting a projectile from an object or turret

redshirt
04-02-2003, 11:09 AM
In an attempt to further understand lightwave, i am trying to have some ships shoot laser bullets/missiles at objects. What i have done was to parent the bullet obj to the ship, and have it move in the Z direction, the direction the gun is facing from the model. Unfortunately, when the ship/turret turns, so does the bullet/missile so instead of going in a straight line, it curves. So, how do i shoot a projectile from the ship or turret without the unwanted curve? Is there a good way to have the laserblasts/missiles continue in a straight line after the initial blast without difficult keyframing?

any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Mylenium
04-02-2003, 11:22 PM
Try PFX with FXLinker ;) .

Mylenium

redshirt
04-03-2003, 12:15 PM
I was playing with that last night, and it works to a point... since i'm using IK for the turret (it's easer to follow an enemy ship), the PFX doesn't follow the tip of the gun unless i KEYFRAME the joints when i want the shot to take place. So that means that the turret base and pivot have to be keyframed for each shot of the gun! In addition, when i link the objects, they are facing in the default direction, and not in the direction of the particle. Is there a way to have the bolts point in the path direction (i don't remember if align to path works in this case.

i'm using 6.5b if that helps.

thanks again

Lamont
04-03-2003, 02:37 PM
There is a plug-in on Flay.com that will actually fire missiles/objects. You put in turn speed and other params, and set the keys. Then tell it what you want it to "kill".

Lamont
04-03-2003, 02:39 PM
You can also have it follow a nulls motion path. There is no need to parent the missile to the object.

redshirt
04-04-2003, 03:06 PM
looks like my fix will be a $400 upgrade fix. all of the new tutorials appear to use the extra functions present in 7.5b, especially FX_linker. Ill keep plugging away, maybe i can do an expression, after i learn expressions...

thanks again

Lamont
04-04-2003, 03:10 PM
Look in the scenes directory of the content that came w/7.0 there is a scene with a orbiting planet that homes in on the other one. Give it a sharper turn radius and you should be in business.

You should not have to spend 400 bucks.