PDA

View Full Version : A little help, Newtek and all LW users?

Wickster
08-22-2004, 08:22 PM
I'm doing a school project for my Web Class and I chose to do a Lightwave site as my final project. After all, my school teaches another 3D program here at school and I really want to get LW some more exposure it deserves.

Anyway, I remember a list of movies, commercial, TV shows where Lightwave was used...does anybody have a current list? I need it to post up on the credits page. Thanks in advance!

I'll post up a link once I finish it. Thanks again.

CB_3D
08-22-2004, 08:51 PM
http://www.newtek.com/products/lightwave/product/projects_list.html

Wickster
08-22-2004, 10:20 PM
:eek: holy %$#&
this is GREAT! many many many thanks CB_3D! now this is why the LW community ROCKS!

Kurtis
08-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Actually, that's an old page that will be removed from the site soon.

The new list/location is http://www.lightwave3d.com/projects.

CB_3D
08-23-2004, 08:57 AM
Actually i got that one from Google because i couldnīt find it right away in the LW section :D

Wickster
08-23-2004, 07:12 PM
Thanks Kurtis! Thats even better...question though, I saw Spiderman 2 on there, now from what I've heard form one of the head animator of Doc Oct that Maya was the only software used on that film? Though I read "celshader" posting that they had also used Lightwave on it. Ofcourse I doubt every film made was done using just 1 software but I wanna know what parts of Spiderman 2 was LW.

O and by the way looking at that list of projects really makes you believe that LW is everywhere. :D

EmperorPete
08-24-2004, 05:57 AM
They might have used LW on Spidwerman for animated storyboards; I believe that was one of its uses on X-Men (incidentally some of them are on the X-Men DVD; basically, they did fully animated storyboards to help plan some of the shots). Also, they may well have done a lot of the modelling in LW, before using Maya to animate/render it.

Nemoid
08-24-2004, 07:03 AM
If i remember well a cool movie with alot of Lw stuff is Hellboy.

Kurtis
08-24-2004, 04:03 PM
EmperorPete is correct.

LightWave was used to COMPLETELY pre-visualize the entire movie before shooting.

From our newest LightWave brochure:

Brad Morris: Animatics Artist for Spider-Man 2

Animator Brad Morris came aboard Sam Raimi's crew to take on the task of creating the animatics that director Raimi would use to design every shot in the film Spider-Man 2. While the director had previously worked with 2D animatics, Morris prototyped several shots in LightWave, and subsequently the director and the animatics team settled on using LightWave 3D to meet this challenge. All characters were modeled and animated and set elements recreated as well, in an effort that took advantage of the complete set of LightWave tools including: modeling, dynamics tools, Motion Designer, particles, ScreamerNet and more. LightWave was integral to the production from the ground up during the desing of the film, in addition to its use for numerous on-screen visual effects shots created by Raimi's team.

"LightWave provided the speed, power and flexibility we needed to deliver a wide range of complex shots on very short deadlines." said Morris. "Sam Raimi is very specific about what he wants and with LightWave we were able to adjust each shot right down to the frame. I simply can't imagine trying to do a project like this in any other software."

Earl
08-26-2004, 11:57 AM
That's some really good brochure content if you ask me. :cool:

Wickster
08-31-2004, 07:20 PM
Does anybody know where I could find a large Lightwave Images Gallery? Besides Newtek's own of course... I hope its OK to display images on my site, i mean its for educatinal purposes plus if nothing else its free advertising for our beloved Lightwave. Plus I'll probably take down the site once the project is graded...unless a lot of people likes it.

Link coming very soon... ;)

hazmat777
09-02-2004, 01:24 AM
Brad's comments about Spider-Man 2 sound great. Good advertising material, I agree.

Wickster
09-04-2004, 01:02 AM
hey ummm..while i was looking at the anime section of the lightwave project list...i'm pretty sure it's not updated. coz from what i know Yukikaze and the new All CG Appleseed Movie uses lightwave.

Here's a shot of LW interface in Appleseed (http://www.a-seed.jp/graphics/mechanics/index.html) (scroll down)

Wickster
09-07-2004, 01:02 AM
My site is up! though i might have to get it down later on once the class is over unless...

http://www.bmadigital.com/lw3d/

well please let me know what you all think...please.

lesterfoster
11-06-2004, 11:39 AM
Hi Wiskster. I checked out your website. I like the way that you have the tabs at the top and the buttons off to the left look a lot like LightWave's interface. It looks cool. But I found that the buttons on the left side would run away from my mouse. This made it rather hard to check out your site. Is that the way that you made it? Or is my mouse that ugly that your buttons just half to run away from it. :)

Wickster
11-08-2004, 11:47 PM
thanks for looking at the site! actually its not your mouse could be the site and/or probably the browser. i coded the site using CSS2 which some older browsers don't seem to support it. I didn't use any deprecated codes like "table"s and "font"s. Plus almost all of the formatting like the widths, heights and font size are contained ina separate CSS file. I know its a bad idea since i lose most of my target audience using an older browser, but i liked coding this way...its cleaner. by the way what browser are you using? i prefer using Mozilla's Firefox (http://www.mozilla.org) cause its fast and very customizable...but thats just me. :D