PDA

View Full Version : LW 8 crashes - developers Newtek please read

sidewing
08-22-2004, 04:24 PM
I just got LW 8 last week. Very happy with the changes. Great job Newtek!

I have many crashes. More so then in LW 7.5c.

Most crashes occur when:
1. you have screen saver kick in.
Solution is indeed simple: disable screensaver (control pannel, display).

2. After a test render (F9) and when pressing Enter key.
Solution: Don't keep too many renders buffered in render viewer. However, I still have many crashes during my first test-render.

3. When opening my scene.
Solution when it happens more 1 time: restart computer and try again.

Questions:
Is it just me?
Is there a patch coming out soon?

What I have:
Lw 8
Pentium 4, 3.2, 1 gig, 3 HD's (2 in RAID-0)

art
08-23-2004, 03:14 PM
My lw8 also crashes sometimes when opening a scene (including those in the content directory that came with lw8)
I noticed it usually never crashes when I try to open first scene after starting LW, but second or third etc.

Lynx3d
08-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Yea because it actually crashes when clearing the loaded scene, not when loading the new scene :)
At least that happens somewhat frequently to me and apparently other LW users too, but Newtek seems to be convinced that there is no bug in the clear scene routine and it's our computers...

Screensaver? Newer tested that, screensavers are stupid IMHO, switch the darn monitor off if you don't need it...

I never had problems with (2.), and i do keep a LOT of testrenders in ImageViewerFP ;)
What OS are you using, sidewing?

But i discovered a nice Modeler bug...
create e.g. a box or sphere, start the AddEdges and do nothing yet. Now hit undo, the geometry disappers but the handles of the tools stay...now try drawing an edge :D

Dodgy
08-23-2004, 04:54 PM
I used to have it crash when clearing a scene, usually i think that was down to morph mixer. I think if i cleared MM from the scene, then it cleared fine. Not have too many crashes of late though. Most of them have been occasional crashes in some of the new tools. LW 8 is pretty stable on the whole for me.
I'm running it on both a p4 2.6GHz and Athlon 2.6Ghz with 1 GB ram and nvidia cards.

toonafish
08-24-2004, 03:36 AM
Most of the crashes occur when loading new scenes. Happens almost every time because all the scenes I'm currently working on use morph-mixer, so I'm not even trying to load a new scene but close Layout and start up again before I load a new one to prevent having to set the content directory over and over again.

In my view it's definately a Lightwave bug and not a computer problem, It happens on all the computers here and with the brand new systems at one of my clients.

sidewing
08-24-2004, 12:11 PM
Morph mixers are indeed another issue that cause crashes. Hopefully the "clearing scene subroutine" gets fixed soon.

I hope that Newtek reads this forum. (hence the tital I created).
We just want to help in a constructive way to make awareness to these bugs.

By the way: I run XP on my machines.

John

3D|Dave
08-24-2004, 01:02 PM
I have had the clear or load another scene crash as well with Lightwave 7.5c. Also crashes can occur when aborting a render and clearing frame buffers. My best guess is old memory handling code.

lede
08-26-2004, 01:45 PM
Has any one had LW8 crash using the new scene editor?

Yesterday I was working with bones and since I don't know much about them was in the scene editor. Sometimes I would have to clear my bones and create new ones. When I opened up the scene editor the second time LW would just close and give no error.

What am I doing wrong?

-Lee

Hervé
08-27-2004, 06:23 AM
I have made mini blinds with some morph targets (open closed), and loading a scene where MM is in play takes quiet a while , but does not crash, lucky boy I am... maybe...

Hey John, How 'r doing Man.... still doing Yachting Previz...? ;) :)

sidewing
08-28-2004, 06:07 PM
Lede - Indeed, I have scene editor issues from time to time. It seems however only to do so when I load large files.
What I lately do: I open first LW then right away the scene editor. After that, load the scene and you can minimize/maximize it rather then closing.
Tip: Use TAB key to hide all windows...

Herve - Yea nice to hear from you as well!!
I still create with a small team yacht animations. Now we have to make one for Monaco/Ft. Lauderdale. Wish I was better with Suds...

Perhaps we should write 1 email to Newtek with these crashes. I'm sure they are working hard to make fixes for the 8.0b version.

John

lede
08-29-2004, 02:19 PM
Sidewing,

thanks for the tip. I know the tab trick but as hard as I might try I never use it :( The one big E-Mail might not be a bad idea but I would also hope NT is reading their support forum. I guess the biggest help for them would be how to reproduce the crash we are getting reliably.

-Lee