PDA

View Full Version : Workstation vs. "Gaming" card

Parallax
08-22-2004, 03:17 PM
Over the months I have read the opinions on graphics cards...which are "good"...which to buy...etc.

It seems that LW8 at this point has no need for a workstation graphics card ...correct?

If cost is not the deciding factor, what does a workstation graphics card, like nVidia Quadro FX 3000 for example, offer in terms of graphic performance and maybe LW (now or someday), as compared with a high end "gaming" card, like the nVidia GeForce6800 Ultra, for example. I am not looking for a recommendation. I am trying to understand what the real performance criteria or issues are in comparing these two catagories of cards.

:confused:

bloontz
08-22-2004, 03:42 PM
At least with previous models the only real difference has been the drivers. The chipsets are generally identical but some features are disabled in the gaming cards. Some resourceful folks have figured out how to enable features on the gaming cards to make them nearly identicle to the workstation cards. Do a search for Soft Quadro and you should find the details. I have a Quadro 900 and it works well but I doubt it would be worth the extra bucks for Lightwave, the only thing it has over the gaming cards (hardware wise) is hardware antialiasing for wireframes.

EmperorPete
08-22-2004, 04:44 PM
I'm running LW8 on a GeForce FX5900XT, and it runs beautifully. Like Bloontz said, I don't think there is much need to go for a workstation type card with Lightwave, as you won't necessarily gain too much from the extra expense.

Parallax
08-22-2004, 06:45 PM
Thanks.....now I understand...and the SoftQuadro search filled in the few blanks for me.....

Nakia
08-22-2004, 09:10 PM
I bought a ATI 9600 XT 256meg card and runs great in LW. Alot better than my Quadro NVS 200 card I had.