PDA

View Full Version : ibox mac upgradable project in works...Not april fools

Ade
04-02-2003, 11:12 AM
click (http://www.wired.com/news/mac/0,2125,58310,00.html)

Can u say cheap render boxes?

BTW lets discuss how this guy can get around apples legality team.

he aint supllying the apple case, nor OS nor cpu, just a gigabit mobo, power supply and some sort of ATX case. He is asking apple for their blessing.actual unit (http://www.2khappyware.com/)

wapangy
04-02-2003, 12:35 PM
Its interesting, but I'm not too excited about it. For a render box, it would be kind of slow with a 466 G4. And its not powerfull enough or expandible enough for my main computer. Its nice somebody is trying to make an affordable mac though.

Ade
04-02-2003, 09:41 PM
I agree 466 sux, but u can buy without cpu, add one of those giga 1.33's.

luka
04-02-2003, 10:27 PM
I think it's a cool idea but I am not sure if Apple will let it go to far.:cool:

Scungyho
04-03-2003, 09:55 AM
There are other 3D software companies that are starting to take advantage of the power of the PowerPC chip. Go to http://www.totalimpact.com and check out their hardware. Somebody was mentioning last week about spending $ 6,000 on a render farm, but honestly, even if they went with cheap PCs and athlons, you would have what, perhaps 6 CPUs? If you spent a couple extra thousand and bought the 4 node BriQ, you would have 16 G4 CPUs. And then have the benefits of a small enclosure and they run very cool and very quiet from what I understand.

Of course, this is all a moot point. The BriQs use Linux and does Renderman compliant renders. But, they have started to do other renders, such as raytracing, and MentalRay now works on these BriQs. Since Lightwave now renders on Linux, how hard would it be to get it to work on these BriQs? Imagine for a second that someone finds a way to make this happen. Imagine being able to buy the 8 node, 32 G4 CPUs and having it all in the size of a normal computer tower? The hell with comparing how fast we can render one frame of the raytrace scene, we would all be comparing how fast we render an animated raytrace scene. It is fun to dream.

Ade
04-03-2003, 10:14 AM
Isnt the LW renderer on linux for x86 linux only?
also isnt linux on PPC crap compared to linux x86?

Scungyho
04-03-2003, 11:57 AM
I don't know the specifics on what the Linux LW renderer is but this company TotalImpact is a bit of best kept secret in terms of hardware for 3D rendering. There are many up and coming companies using these BriQs to render. There are alternatives out there and other software packages are making inroads that Newtek takes a blind eye toward. The MentalRay 3.1 renderer works with these briqs and other renderers are on the way. Sure, Lightwave's rendering is fabulous but if the other apps renderers get close enough and are able to render much easier and much faster on something like these BriQs, then that is bad news for Lightwave users. To me this just shows how Newtek may just turn around one day and find that everyone else has passed them by.

Ade
04-03-2003, 09:08 PM
As i once posted "newtek tell us your goals and ambitions for the mac users"