PDA

View Full Version : Bones Parenting not working due to program error?

markjores
08-21-2004, 04:58 PM
Hi there

I am having a major headache with my bone rigging at the moment. I am following the Todd grimes DVD for Model Rigging and have what I believe is a program error screwing things up. I'm using lightwave 7.5c on the PC

I have all the bones converted from skelegons, pivot points are reset and need to parent some of them to each other. So I have parent in place ON whilst I'm doing it & all is fine. If I close the file and open it again after saving it & the model is distorted badly as if parent in place had been off! I've saved multiple files at various stages of the process & they were all fine. When I go back and review them later they are all distorted after the point when I did any parenting of bones.

I do have the issue where I open any panel up and all the values are strangely zeroed out. As soon as I click on anything though they all come back in. I am very careful not to be clicking ok to anything when it is not displaying any values, but I feel that this is connected to my problem. It is as if Layout is recalculating the scene with parent in place off even though it is on???

Anyone else had this problem.

Thanks

markjores
08-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Yay sorted it out from a post elsewhere on this forum.

I needed to hit "r" to deactivate the bones before I reparented the bones & then again afterwards to reactivate them.

I did it to the reparented bones I'd already changed & the model snapped back into place - Beautiful - I hope nothing was wrong in doing this trick AFTER the bones had been parented though.

wulfie
08-21-2004, 11:19 PM
I am getting use to this rigging business myself and have both Larry Shultz (Character Series) and Todd Grimes DVD's on the subject. I learned a lot from the Todd Grimes DVD and I am glad I have it. However Larry's Rigging CD goes into much more detail. Important stuff like make sure your on frame zero when you record pivot rotation or move bones etc. I guess Lightwave 8 warns you about this but these are important kind of details!

Just trying to help.....and empathizing.