PDA

View Full Version : school project: animation

lehcar511
04-02-2003, 10:49 AM
I did this last semester as part of my senior thesis. It's a lip sync to a short poem.

http://web.syr.edu/~rssilber/431.mov

-Shana

Gluge
04-06-2003, 01:43 AM
LOL, thanks a lot!

Man that was so bad, in so many ways it actualy scared me...

Frist off... the modeling was horrible, that girl was so ugly that in itself was scary and that guy... looked like he had lipstick on... ugly hag dating a cross dressing guy? hey, what ever floats your boat..

second... that lipsinking... well that was fightening... I thought she was going to spit at me, the way she was grinning... oh my god, looked like she was gonna bight that guys nose off with those teeth! that guy was hillarious tho, the way he kept looking all constipated because he was being forced to sit with this ugly hag or he'd get his nose bitten off.

and oh my god! the lighting... that's just great... when she leans in to say "would you make a ..." and her face goes black scared the @%#^@ out of me! and it was hillarious at the same time!

amazing.... horrible, scarry, and hillarious all at the same time....

oh yea... having horrible sound balance was a nice touch so you had to turn it up to her what wicked wicked things she might be trying to say over the music....

One thing that sticks out though is the music.... the choice of music seems fine, so it kinda sticks out, try a worse music selection that would fit in better, maybe some nice midi stuff....

Oh, and sorry if you didn't mean for it to be horribly bad... but it is, but hey you can only get better right? 8*) lol feel free to e-mail me if you want any tips 8*) hopefully your not trying to get a job in the 3D industry?

Thanks again for the laugh.....

ruud
04-06-2003, 06:55 AM
Hi, let me give you this advice, start with simple things, learn to render those simple things, and then try to tell a simple story with your knowledge..

Ruuter

Meaty
04-06-2003, 11:22 PM
lehcar511,

Its a little rough around the edges, but it is a great start... funny too! The more you work, the better things will get. Keep at it.

lehcar511
04-07-2003, 09:44 AM
wow. That's just great.

I posted that for some criticism but I didn't need to be ridiculed.

Some people are just inhumane.

thanks a lot.

i do appreciate the sincere comments.

paulfierlinger
04-07-2003, 10:24 AM
ehm -- I thought that Gluge's tone was no worse than the tone of your clip.

Paul F.

Epita
04-07-2003, 12:37 PM
my 56K hurts

Epita

lehcar511
04-07-2003, 01:45 PM
"ehm -- I thought that Gluge's tone was no worse than the tone of your clip."

What do you mean by this?

I didn't write the narrative or the storyline, i just implemented it.

paulfierlinger
04-07-2003, 02:06 PM
What I meant was to simply point out that your clip didn't show the kind of sensibilities that would merit a sensitive, deep review. Whether you wrote it or not, it was a choice you made to speak with dark humor. That woman wasn't being nice. And both your clip and what Gluge wrote made me laugh. Both your flavors of ice cream came out of the same bucket -- they were just in different cones. What's so inhumane about Gluge's style that isn't in yours?

Paul F.

Gluge
04-07-2003, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry for jumping all over it like that actualy.

I watched it again, this time not at full screen size and it was much less scary 8*)) and looked... better... too.

Let me give ya a bit of advice if you really want to do this kinda thing for a living... you need to focus at least at first to get in... chose on of the following....

1. Animation, skip the lipsink, modeling, lighting, etc. learn to animate some simple character with a floating ball as a head (maybe with 2 eyes on it so you can tell which way he's looking) a box or cylinder for a body... balls for hands, etc. don't even bother rigging him just parent all the parts together and animate for a month or 2.... when animating get a video camera, video tape yourself doing whatever you want to animate, then use the video to get your basic timming, poses, etc. use FK except for maybe the legs if you want to do any fance foot work... tho FK can work for that too it can be a pain.. thow some basic colors on them... put in a ground plain and turn on BG rad. to render... don't bother with any lights... you just wana show your animation here...

2. if you want to Model... just model... use BG rad. again to show off your modeling.... do 1 organic (realistic human is good, etc.) and 1 mech kinda thing... (DETAILED!) and one kinda in-bettween thing.... like.... a car... and make sure they're all DEAD on... for the realistic human I suggest you get a book on anatomy, and one on drawing the human forum, etc.... AT LEAST...
lock yourself in your room for a month or 2 and you should come out with a reel decent enough to get ya hired some where...

if you can't you might wana think about a different line of work.

Sorry I was harsh...

What school did you go to?

I will say this though... depending on how long you took on this lip sink thing.... it shows you've got drive to try big things... which is good, as long as you tone it down and use it to focus on one thing 8*)

oxyg3n
04-07-2003, 05:40 PM
Hey All,

I just watched this and I cant make out what that girl is saying.

The character models do need some work and the corners of the lips, especially on the girl, pinch together alot. Also, the lighting can be improved. Maybe try adding some more lights to reveal the form of the faces. Some fill lighting and rim lighting would be nice.

lehcar511
04-08-2003, 11:25 AM
Well what I'm really interested in is lip synching. I would love to eventually work with motion capture data but I don't have access to that here. I go to Syracuse University which is severly limited in it's resources. We only get one semester of animation and they don't teach techniques, but rather, how to use the graph editor and things like that. All I've learned Ive aquired on my own through books, internships, and watching other people's works. I worked on that animation for roughly 9 weeks. This semester I've been working with a rigged character and studying motion through a video like you suggested and it seems to be working pretty well.
-Shana

VWTornado
04-08-2003, 04:00 PM
Originally posted by Gluge
I'm sorry for jumping all over it like that actualy.

Gluge, I agree with SOME of the advice you gave in the second response you gave, but your tone wasn't constructive in anyway, it was just plain being an *****. Constructive criticism is the way people learn, not attacks on there work. If you have something to say that will help, post it, other than that I'd say comments like that will just discourage new users from this board, and possibly Lightwave in general, and are just plain useless. :rolleyes:

groodwanderer
04-08-2003, 06:39 PM
Okay tornado slow up a bit. I think gluges second comments were very helpfull. The first ones were just humorrous, sorry if that is calloused, but they were. Sometimes ppl new at 3d who are thinking of doing it for a living really need to here just what gluge said...

Let me give ya a bit of advice if you really want to do this kinda thing for a living... you need to focus.

I take this comment as though directed at myself since I am new to Lightwave. I agree with gluges comments and found them helpfull, well I allready knew this viewpoint in fact, but it was good to be reminded. I get so antsy and want to rush off and try texturing a model that is no where near a finished stage. Now perhaps his first comments were not the best manner to go about pointing out flaws or things that needed to be improved, however i think his second comments made up for his first, and his manner in presenting his ideas were much more civil. Also I am not sure if gluge really knew that the animation wasn't supposed to be bad. You know that is an originall thought, making an animation look bad but in a good way....hmmmmm I am going to have to think about that, it could actually turn out to be quite funny with much hillarity. ;) Oh yes one more thing I don't agree with your tone, tornado it is quite broachfull, almost as if you are trying to get a rise out of somebody. Well darn it, it worked. :( Don't i feel silly.

So now that i have rambled on about nothing important I would just like to say to Lehcar511 that it is a good begining. Now you just have to figure out what you most enjoyed and then try and go about perfecting it. If it is lipsyncing then get some good models and try to do some lipsync. go for it man and don't get discouraged even if you get feedback that isn't so pleasant. Gleen what you can from it then make your work better, so next time there won't be any, or at least a less amount of unpleasant crits in regards to your work. And never forget everyone is a critic. Make your work your own.

lehcar511
04-08-2003, 08:05 PM
i'm just very discouraged and upset because I'm graduating in 32 days and I need to find a job. I worked really hard on that project and I got an A and honestly, it was the best one in my class, which I guess doesn't say much.
I just don't know what to do because I can't sit around after I graduate without income to help me practice.

Jason Choi
04-08-2003, 09:30 PM
Dear, lehcar511.
nice meet you. when i look at the you demo reel.
I thought you have good a possibility. you are good atarting.
Don't give up your pratice. everday. everyday.
until the coming to you good result.

Godbless to you.

J.S

Originally posted by lehcar511
i'm just very discouraged and upset because I'm graduating in 32 days and I need to find a job. I worked really hard on that project and I got an A and honestly, it was the best one in my class, which I guess doesn't say much.
I just don't know what to do because I can't sit around after I graduate without income to help me practice.

Gluge
04-08-2003, 10:26 PM
Well Tornado, I don't agree with any of your advice, if I could find some advice in your post... I might agree with it... I don't know maybe I'm blind?

ANYWAY... lehcar, if you went to school for this sort of thing, sorry to say you probably wasted your money, and would have been better off taking a year off and just focusing... don't feel bad though, I made the same 'mistake' and school can definatly have it bennifits like forced exposure to a bunch of stuff so you can figure out what you want to do, etc. 8*)

But.... I'm going to have to strongly recomend against focusing on lipsink... we have 1 lip sink guy here... at probably 15 modelers... and 15 animators... not to mention lipsinking is becoming easier and easyer with regards to using mocap, etc... riggs are getting better, programs are getting better at dealing with the data.. we us a program called "Famous Faces" here for all that...

Don't feel bad about graduating and getting a job... hey I don't know maybe I'm all wrong and you will be able to get a job or intern... but from my experience... I'd plan on getting some job you don't want in the mean time but something that will give you as much time as possible to keep working toward an animation reel... shoot for 1-2 mins of KILLER animation (assuming that's what you wana do..)

I was the best one in my classes as well, but I looked on the internet constantly, I knew I sucked compared to a lot of people out there, some of them also trying to get jobs... scared the hell out of me, school pissed me off after that, everyone telling you you'll get a job at ILM easy when they have no freak'n idea how good you really need to be... just because everyone else at school sucks doesn't mean you can. Be pissed at your school 8*) if it was supposted to teach you this kinda stuff...

I didn't realize you thought it was good or I would have let ya down a little easyer 8*)

then again... I could be all wrong... if ya got a reel already, hell send it out to intern possitions... might be worth a shot.. 8*)

From what I've heard most big places won't even hire people straight out of school.

if your looking for a related job might hit up post houses that do a bit of 3D on the side... look for freelance would.. etc.

good luck

VWTornado
04-09-2003, 08:51 AM
look, i wasn't trying to be an *** in that last post, it just seems that gluge is being pretty harsh with this girl. i mean yeah, she does need a reality check cause the people out there doing 3D for a living are insanely good at what they do. not just any hack with a PC can become a broadcast/film quality 3D artist. and just remember there is ALWAYS someone better out there, so don't get discouraged, just work harder and practice practice practice. I would definitely agree with starting off animating something simple like a guy that is made of just boxs and cubes...get that looking good before you try animating a photoreal human model. heck, even try animating a box that looks like its alive...that in itself is hard. getting a video camera and acting out what you are going to animate will help alot also...even Disney and other artists use video to help them out.

Gluge, again, sorry about the last post, it just seemed as though you were just attacking the girl instead of trying to help better her abilities. And as I said I agreed with your second post.

paulfierlinger
04-09-2003, 08:59 AM
Isn't she a gal? And I still like Gulge's first post because look what it acomplished for her! If he would have responded with just another "cute" or "Nice", what good would that have done anybody. Heck, even I'm learning a lot about what goes into 3D work, in case you're all wondering what I'm doing here.
Paul F.

Gluge
04-09-2003, 11:57 AM
As I said before....

If you get a simple guy made out of boxes and cubes and do killer animation with him, you won't NEED to do a photorealistic human.

save yourself a lot of time and work, just use the simple guy for your whole animation reel.

bearfoot
04-14-2003, 07:21 AM
"I just don't know what to do because I can't sit around after I graduate without income to help me practice."

sorry dude but you just have to do what the majority of other L`W users do and work in any job and practice - every spare hour you can until your good enough -

most people who use LW are NOT professional artists is the sheer love of the program thats enough for them...

dont give up just yet - :-)