PDA

View Full Version : AVI crouton audio not visible

maddogmike
08-20-2004, 01:01 PM
I'm trying to sync up two AVI's (two camera views of a musical performance) in Toaster Edit. They have identical audio, so I figured I'd look at the audio portion of the crouton and look at the spikes and valleys to sync them. (Would this be called the audio waveform?)

Anyway, the audio is just black. Can't see what I'm hearing... and I can hear it no problem.

I suppose I could render out new WAV files, bring those in, and do the sync. But is there another way to get the AVI audio to show itself?

Jim_C
08-20-2004, 01:25 PM
Interesting,

What kind of avi files and does the audio play thru the entire clip?

maddogmike
08-20-2004, 05:13 PM
Audio plays through both clips.

These are AVI's that were grabbed into our system using the DecisionMaker program instead of the standard Toaster grab. I wouldn't expect that to be a problem, though.

We used DecisionMaker so we could use firewire transfer from mini-dv. Toaster grabs don't offer that.

Jim_C
08-20-2004, 05:31 PM
Try rendering just a small 20 second segment to DV from the timeline. See if the waveform appears then. Maybe there is a conflict with the Toster reading that captured file.

One note, the first time you place a dv clip on the timeline, Toaster has to render out a wav file, thus the small clock icon that appears on the clip.
If you try to play the clip while the clock is there it will interrupt the audio creation and the audio will be incomplete. You then have to go inot the newtek info folder in the same folder as the file and delete the corresponding wav file.

Actually maybe try deleting the wav file thats in there, then put the clip back on the timeline and let it rerender the audio.

Just a few thoughts/

Jim

Norman
08-21-2004, 05:07 AM
The only time I've seen this, was when I was using subprojects and it freaked me out the first time. Are you using subprojects?

DonN
08-22-2004, 02:03 PM
I've noticed that REALLY long AVI clips take a REALLY long time to render out the timeline waveform on the audio track, and maybe never do it if over some limit of length. Once done though, they come up pronto next time. Same for the animated thumbnails of long AVI's. Use rtv's, eek. BAM. Done. Sync. Cool.
Don

DonN
08-22-2004, 02:08 PM
Are you using vt3? You certainly can grab DV clips via firewire in the VT Capture panel. DecisionMaker is not required for this any more.
Don

lesterfoster
08-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by DonN
I've noticed that REALLY long AVI clips take a REALLY long time to render out the timeline waveform on the audio track, and maybe never do it if over some limit of length. Once done though, they come up pronto next time. Same for the animated thumbnails of long AVI's. Use rtv's, eek. BAM. Done. Sync. Cool.
Don

Originally posted by DonN
Are you using vt3? You certainly can grab DV clips via firewire in the VT Capture panel. DecisionMaker is not required for this any more.
Don
This is something that I do a lot of. And what works best for me is if there are some people who are taking pictures, than just watch for the flashes. Place a marker where the flashes are. Than just line up the markers. This method is frame accurate.

As far as the waves in the AVI's, I don't know. Perhaps it is the codex that you are using during capture.

And I agree with DonN

maddogmike
08-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I know that you have to wait sometimes for wav data to load, so I don't think that's the problem. Also, my avi files are about 10 minutes apiece. I'm using VT2. No subprojects.

Right now, my system is being rebuilt, so I won't be able to fiddle with Toaster for a few days.

lesterfoster
08-23-2004, 06:00 PM
I wish you luck. Did you buy it from a authorized dealer? Or did you make it your self??

maddogmike
08-31-2004, 04:19 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to your post right away.

When you say "buy it from and authorized dealer," I assume you're talking about our computer?

I'm not the tech guy. I like running programs, but I'm clueless when it comes to knowing what's under the hood. My boss bought the system from a guy in Texas who put the whole thing together. I think he installed Toaster for us, too.

Anyhow, our local computer guru is upgrading us to Windows XP so we can run Adobe Encore. That's been a whole other set of problems that I won't get into here. It took about a week, but we finally got all the necessary upgrades to get Toaster 2 to work with XP.